Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom build a new house, need some comment

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

We just signed the contract to build a double storey in Brisbane on a 12m x 30m lot.

So far, we are happy with what we got, but on the final check last night, I feel that we need some ideas on the hallway on second floor to go to the master bedroom.

Will a 9m long hallway (1,100mm width) is OK or is it too long?

Not sure if I can post my floorplan here and ask for some help?

Thanks
FirstBuild
jamesn
Not sure if I can post my floorplan here and ask for some help?

Very easy to post pictures here. Please do so, as any comment on a 9m long hallway will have to be made in the context of the rest of the house.
Here is the floorplan on 2nd storey, do you guys see any issues?
Any comments to validate the plan will definitely help a lot.
Thanks
Personally, I don't see a huge issue with the corridor. It's only around 8m long until your double doors, and it is punctuated on either side by a cabinet, a door to one bedroom, and door to another bedroom, and then a linen cupboard, so it's not like one long useless and bland corridor. Besides, corridors are also places you can also hang up some photos or artwork to add interest.

My only question is do you really need TWO linen cupboards along the same stretch? That's a lot of washing!
ben888
My only question is do you really need TWO linen cupboards along the same stretch? That's a lot of washing!

Agreed, and in a sitting room. That one would be better as a built in bookcase or display cabinet.
Thank you, arcadelt and ben888

Just because I am not sure what to put there

I will change the Sitting Linen to a display bookcase (maybe built in bulkhead).
The hallway Linen is glass sliding door trying to make the corridor brighter.

The cabinet opposite of staircase is a decor mirror with a shelf to open up when you walk up the staircase.

I still feel it is quite dark at night, and lighting needs special care here?

Thanks,
J
jamesn
Thank you, arcadelt and ben888

Just because I am not sure what to put there

I will change the Sitting Linen to a display bookcase (maybe built in bulkhead).
The hallway Linen is glass sliding door trying to make the corridor brighter.

The cabinet opposite of staircase is a decor mirror with a shelf to open up when you walk up the staircase.

I still feel it is quite dark at night, and lighting needs special care here?

Thanks,
J

You could always include skylights to brighten it up?

Lemans

I am thinking of getting 2 round diffuse skylights, and a few downlights around it.

The issue is how to put enough switch to turn them on/off?
When going out master bedroom, from bed 2 , bed 3 or from staircase? Sound complicated?
jamesn
Lemans

I am thinking of getting 2 round diffuse skylights, and a few downlights around it.

When going out master bedroom, from bed 2 , bed 3 or from staircase? Sound complicated?

Not too sure on round ones but with the velux brand I’m sure you can get electric versions / with a blind attached .

Lemans
jamesn
Lemans

Not too sure on round ones but with the velux brand I’m sure you can get electric versions / with a blind attached .

Thank you for that, Do you think Sun Tunnels or Fixed skylights fit better for my hallway?
jamesn
Lemans
jamesn
[quote="Lemans"]

Thank you for that, Do you think Sun Tunnels or Fixed skylights fit better for my hallway?[/quote]

Will there be enough light coming in from the balcony and stair case window? If not i think fixed would be a nice addition to provide natural light in.
I think you’ll be alright with fixed skylights in a hallway, no, there may not be a need to add blinds on it

Lemans

Will there be enough light coming in from the balcony and stair case window? If not i think fixed would be a nice addition to provide natural light in.
I think you’ll be alright with fixed skylights in a hallway, no, there may not be a need to add blinds on it

Thank you. I think we have enough light to use one fixed skylight. May explore smart lighting options as well.

If I have more questions about the floorplan, should I start another thread or ask here ?

In our Master Bed sitting area, I am looking for some ideas to decor or furnish it as the area is quite tight. It has city view from the balcony and I think to use it to relax after kids going to sleep.
jamesn
Thanks

I have on suggestion flip bathroom on bed3 to Master wall, that will be a bit not cool style but provide much more sound proof privacy to both bedrooms, noise from music tv or personal activity is better kept separate
Higgott
jamesn
Thanks

I have on suggestion flip bathroom on bed3 to Master wall, that will be a bit not cool style but provide much more sound proof privacy to both bedrooms, noise from music tv or personal activity is better kept separate

You can then have bed3 door opposite bed 4 door and move the double door down hall so giving look of a shorter hall and a more private feel to master entry
Higgott
jamesn
Thanks

Bit not cool should read a bit more costly
Higgott
Higgott
jamesn
Thanks

Bit not cool should read a bit more costly

Understood and I am thinking about it. Just with our current situation, Bed3 will be our working office as both of us working from home a lot.
Our kids will not have computer, TV or tablets in bedrooms so it will be fine for us.

Still want to ask for ideas/comments to ensure the resell values just in case we need to move on in the future (down size when getting near retirement or kids moving out)...
We will have built-in bulk heads ready for TV in each bedroom and trying to make it convertible to luxury bedrooms if need to sell... future proof

Do you guys see anything you dont like? Thanks.
Considering resale I would definitely flip that bathroom, anyone with older children would want the sound proofing, I also think your bedroom entrance would be mor dramatic from small hall behind moved double doors . Good luc
Higgott
Considering resale I would definitely flip that bathroom, anyone with older children would want the sound proofing, I also think your bedroom entrance would be mor dramatic from small hall behind moved double doors . Good luc

Thanks mate
From a resale point of view, I think you definitely need a double vanity in the main ensuite.
Also agree with others about flipping bedroom 3.
One thing I would look at is a laundry chute drop to cupboard on ground floor ideally in laundry, depending on location. Four bedrooms a lot of towels linen and dirty clothes to carry downstairs . Good resale adding value item. Small loss of space low cost.
Related
25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

29/10/2023
Need Subfloor Advice for a new build!

Building A New House

XCEM Alpha flooring seems to relatively new and I could not found any reviews. Have you or someone you know have used it and would recommend over other subfloor options?…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum