Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Does builder top up soil to cover up waffle slab edges?

Page 1 of 1
Question to those who has completed their build.

Will builder top up soil to cover up waffle slab edges. Unlike raft slab, waffle slab is on the ground hence the slab edges will be exposed.

Or is it your own responsibility to cover up the slab edges with soil. (assuming you are not doing concrete path all around the house. )

Thanks,
Would strongly advice concrete right around your home or risk of slab HEAVE will increase, what could go wrong if not done could be devastating

Builder is required to grade compacted soil away from the slab for site drainage during construction.
You may also want to check your building warranty. Some say that failure to comply with CSIRO guide for foundation maintenance will void your warranty.

The CSIRO guide says that "it is recommended" to have an apron of paving around the building perimeter.

I imagine if it gets to a claim the builder would use lack of an apron as grounds for not honoring it
Thanks all. I understand the seriousness of slab heave. (3 mths ago I asked a lot of questions about it on this forum)

My question now is, is it common for builders to covered up the slab edges from been exposed with soil.
Or will they just say you have to do it yourself when you do your landscaping or when you do the concrete path (assuming you get your own concrete guys to do it.)
Its pretty much up to you to do it. Ours was left exposed and we were told when we landscaped where to take the level up to.
Ours did because I asked them too and I reminded them of their obligations to provide adequate site drainage as per AS 2870.
We also had excellent temp downpipe maintenance and great site drainage plus the permanent downpipes were installed early.
You have to remind them of their obligations.
MyFirst
Question to those who has completed their build.

Will builder top up soil to cover up waffle slab edges. Unlike raft slab, waffle slab is on the ground hence the slab edges will be exposed.

Or is it your own responsibility to cover up the slab edges with soil. (assuming you are not doing concrete path all around the house. )

Thanks,

Thanks all,
I will try to negotiate something if they do leave it exposed.

LOL. I reminded my SS his obligations and his reply was , he's been in the industry for 20 odd years and surely he knows the basics.
That was after the temporary down pipes been pulled off during bricking.

But he did try his best to put it back..

Sometimes I just wonder why building industry is so difficult. .I guess it will only be easy if we are just clueless clients and trust the builder 100% and they do what they want.
Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum