Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

JG King - Ariel - Double Storey - Metro Melbourne

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

After looking at the progress of a number of JG King builds over the years I thought I would share ours to date.

The pre-site phase was quite extended, part of this was driven by the delays in developer - even though we engaged JG King just over a year before the land was titled, the build was still delayed 7.5 months post the land being ready.

These delays gave our next door neighbour builder a chance to dump soil on our land... multiple times (which Burbank were very accomodating in having removed) - but I could not say the same for the SS next door initially (until I showed them photos....)

Second time...

We officially started mid august (site cut 19th of August) and the slab was prepared by the end of August and poured first week of September (5th September).

We had no issues with the pre-slab pour inspection which we arranged. Due to the amount of fill on our site we were required to use screw pile piers.

Then the wait begun...... 2 months later our frame finally arrived on site (7th of November!)... (with a change of site supervisor in between).

Another 2 weeks then passes with no one to come to site to put the frame together... Due to the double frame my SS wanted to wait for a particular "crew" to put it together.

I must say though, once the frame arrived and guys on site to put together (20th of November), I was shocked how fast it went up. Last week in Melbourne we had a full week of really bad weather, (with the guys getting on Site on the Tuesday), and they were able to put the downstairs frame up by the end of the week - and tonight (following Tuesday 27th) the roof frame is on (which the entire upstairs frame was only delivered Monday 26th)...

I will try to share more as the build progresses.

I should also note that we made some edits to the Ariel floor plan, so I will share the floor plan at some stage too.

Thanks

Monty
When we first started the build process, the standard design had the laundry where our WIP is now located and WIP P'DR room is, and lastly the P'DR was quite large taking up the similar space to what the laundry now is.

We had actually asked to have this switched but by the time it came to us finalizing the design, JG King had already made these changes... Maybe I should charge them a fee

I have first uploaded what is the current standard design (This design is for a 10-10.5m wide block).

Below is our revised downstairs layout, you will note that the toilet is slightly smaller (but doesn't go quite as far under the stairs. This has been changed to allow us room to put a door for storage under the stairs. The change also required a sliding door instead of a swinging door in order to save space.

Upstairs all the changes we have made (albeit small) have been trying to maximize the useful space of what is a small house and remove some of the luxuries such as sitting area in the master bedroom which compromise on other areas of the house. You will also note upstairs we have kept the retreat the same size, and taken the sitting area and give to bedrooms 2&3. Leaving bedroom 4 as a 2.85 m x 2.85 m bedroom. This will be a guest/study room for us.
Hey Monty,

Where in Melbourne are you building? How did it go? We are looking at building this home also. Would be great to see the finished product.

Cheers
Blair
Hi Blair

We are still not in our house!

The contract maximum length is until the 2nd of July and it is going right to the wire. Nothing happened for months hence I lost interest in posting, we live very close to the build so have been visiting regularly and have continued to take snaps.

Carpenter put a screw through water pipes and flooded downstairs and plaster work. None of which was replaced.

I would never use JG king again if you ask me (Or my wife), whole experience has been horrible. Like we will end up with a house and I am sure we will love it. But the pain and length of time especially in comparison to other more organized and professional builders is not worth it.
Related
31/03/2024
KDRB in Melbourne south east metro region - Suggestions for

Building A New House

Keen to hear from people in the area who have got KDRB done on whom they got the build from? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum