We live on a semi main two lane road (peak times busy) and are looking to build a two story house.
The upper story has the kids bedrooms at the front, and Im investigating the best construction material (ie. hebel, standard cavity wall with insulation, SIPS, EPS) to protect against both sound from traffic and heat from setting sun in summer (Melbourne) A few points so far:
- Top floor will need to be lightweight - we arent doing brick
- Top floor will be partially shaded by vertical aluminum facade
- Would like the wall to be 120mm thick max
- We are likely to clad the wall in weathertex / shadowclad
- Windows will be double glazed, but with different thickness on each side of glazing
The only firm idea we have so far (internally) is to double soundchek (or similar) walls of bedrooms facing road, plaster hanging on whisper clips.