Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Double brick - Internal wall finish

Page 1 of 1
Some builders in Perth are still using cement render with a plaster finish which is what i'm familiar with and and some are using a 12mm gyprock board. any pros and cons either way?
Just google Plaster vs Drywall, But basically plaster is better. It does have some disadvantages, we opted for drywall in the staircase as plaster will form cracks where brickwork & suspended slab meet.
You shouldn't have any structural cracking in un-reinforced brickwork?
What would you rather do see the cracks and fix them, or mask them
completely and not know how dangerous the problem is?
Sethor
Just google Plaster vs Drywall, But basically plaster is better. It does have some disadvantages, we opted for drywall in the staircase as plaster will form cracks where brickwork & suspended slab meet.
No way, plaster is not even close to Drywall. Drywall is a premium product with a premium finish, why do you think all the high end builders use Drywall.

Andree
Some builders in Perth are still using cement render with a plaster finish which is what i'm familiar with and and some are using a 12mm gyprock board. any pros and cons either way?

We went with drywall, pros would be house went up faster as drywall was done in a day, smoother finish so when the other half painted he didn’t have to fill in or patch anything and we could seal our walls early our builder let us seal them before lock up, I would say only down fall is our cats a climber and I kid you not we have scratches on our walls from her climbing 😡 but I would still stick with the drywall if we built again 🤷‍♀️
Plaster walls have a much durable finish than drywall when it sets up and is a higher quality finish.
Better acoustics too.
Doozer1905
Sethor

No way, plaster is not even close to Drywall. Drywall is a premium product with a premium finish, why do you think all the high end builders use Drywall.

Which high end builders? Only cheaper builders are pushing drywall as it is cheaper & faster.
StructuralBIMGuy
You shouldn't have any structural cracking in un-reinforced brickwork?
What would you rather do see the cracks and fix them, or mask them
completely and not know how dangerous the problem is?

We just did not want to deal with the hairline cracks you get with settling, just seen to many houses hairline cracks in plasterwork in staircases.
Sethor
Doozer1905
Sethor

Which high end builders? Only cheaper builders are pushing drywall as it is cheaper & faster.
Sorry Sethor you have no idea what your talking about. None of the cheap builders Drywall and if you asked them what's the cost to Drywall it would be thousands. So builders that Drywall, Summit offer it as an upgrade as well as BGC, JWH group & Dale Alcock all as an upgrade. Webb & Brown, Platinum homes & Zorzi are the builders that I know offer it as a standard.

This is from an older summit brochure

Easier to repair if damaged?
How do you repair the unreinforced brick work if you can't see the damage?
Doozer1905
Sorry Sethor you have no idea what your talking about. None of the cheap builders Drywall and if you asked them what's the cost to Drywall it would be thousands. So builders that Drywall, Summit offer it as an upgrade as well as BGC, JWH group & Dale Alcock all as an upgrade. Webb & Brown, Platinum homes & Zorzi are the builders that I know offer it as a standard.

I can tell you first hand Zorzi don't dry wall. There would be heaps of 100+ year old homes in Perth with original plaster walls, do you think drywall is as durable? I doubt anyone offers it as a upgrade, I'm sure most builders would do it as a no cost option as it is cheaper to install. If drywall is better why would most builders continue with an inferior method which is more labour intensive & slower to install?
Like I said before Sethor you have no idea what your talking about.

Do you work for Summit? They are pretty much the only builder to glorify drywall in the same way 101 Residential tries to push their Masterwall system.
No I don't never have, I have worked for 2 of the previous builders mentioned and now work for a boutique builder

Andree

Drywall all the way. Much better finish and not as subject to the mood of the tradie on the day.
Our house was plastered and when the sun hits the walls it looks like the plasterer was as well. Swirl marks, ridges, bumps and lumps all over - apparently "all within standard"
The one wall that was drywalled looks perfect
Good quality plaster is always smoother than drywall (aka gyprock), walls are straight and smooth as a mirror. Not to mention all this "hardness" feeling when you touch or hit it.

Thermally drywall behaves a little bit better than gypsum plaster, although overall impact to R of the wall is close to nothing, also there are veneer plasters available out there those days.

Acoustically plaster behaves much better as it is heavier and thicker.

And at last, but not the least, robotic plastering machines can plaster up to 200 sqm/per hour those days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLf95eNMYvo&t=9s

So it is no longer more labor intensive than gyprock installations.

Gyprock is so popular only because it is cheaper and the only available option for framed houses.
Good quality yes. Find a plasterer in Perth that delivers it and you'll get some credibility.
Althom
Good quality yes. Find a plasterer in Perth that delivers it and you'll get some credibility.

Not a single wet plasterer in Perth can deliver a good quality plaster? Is it really as bad as it reads? Then surely drywall is the only choice. Oh no, I have forgot that drywalling is also a skilled labour with so many different ways to make things wrong. Alas!
There would be many, many more competent drywall installers in Perth than there are competent plasterers.

It comes down to the likelihood of getting a good job and you're more likely to if you go with drywall
Related
15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

13/01/2024
Damp Internal Wall

General Discussion

You can use hairdryer

26/02/2024
Insulation for Internal wall, between floors

Building A New House

Sorry, don't know costs, but there are a couple of very important principles you need to get right (and now) .... (1) never agree to any "upgrade" unless you first know…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum