Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

What would you look for in a backyard?

Page 1 of 1
We have finally just found the energy to start locking in landscaping plans and companies.

Apart from the first quote bowling us over at $180k (doesn’t inc a pool) just for the backyard, we have had mixed feedback from friends and family.

There’s no way it will add $180k value to the property (we are in Sydney) so we will be pairing it back a lot if we go ahead at all.

Your opinions and thoughts would be valued!

-1) If you were looking to buy a large home, 4 bedrooms, two storey with a large yard, would a pool be on your wish list, would it turn you off, or are you indifferent?

-2) Would a heavily landscaped garden put you off? Not hedges and high maintenance plants, just an intricate design. Would have a fully automatic irrigation system.

-3) for a yard 15m x 25m (plus alfresco) would you be happy with half turf and half travertine? If yes and no pool, would that put you off in terms of wanting to put a large pool in yourself?

-4) firepit area and multiple seating areas- turn off, on, or indifferent?

-5) timber features, and a water feature: would you think ‘arrrrgh- maintenance!’?

What is important to you when it comes to landscaping? How much more would you pay for a home with a sophisticated landscaping plan vs basic perimeter gardens?

Here is the design....

And here is the inspiration to help you visualise the feature screening, paving and firepit area.

Appreciate you opinion!

DYI and you can get it done for less than 1/10 of the amount quoted.

I don't think that pool will be adding a lot of value in your configuration, the backyard is just too small for a proper pool. And small pool costs almost the same as a large pool but provides lower ROI. How many days a year you are going to really use it? You have to do some calcs here. Most probably you will be ending up in $50 per swim figures or close.

Mixing timber with travertine? I don't know, IMHO turf + travertine in a better option.
If you’re looking to sell in the near future I’m presuming with 4 bedrooms you would be attracting families - personally I love your plans and a sculpted beautiful garden but would that be practical for a family with young children? I wouldn’t worry about a pool, but wouldn’t spend anywhere near $100k or more for a formal designer garden that might put off young families wanting space for their kids to have a play area. Only my opinion thinking of resell options, as I said personally a beautiful landscaped garden would match the stunning interior you have but spending so much money I don’t think is necessary. Look forward to seeing what you do!
I personally wouldn’t want a heavily landscaped backyard because I just don’t like gardening and too much maintenance. It also comes down to each individual’s preference whether the landscape design may suit the next buyer or not.
I also feel that a lot of people don’t really spend lots of time outside either, therefore backyard spaces are shrinking.

A plunge pool and some sort of outdoor lounge/sunbaking area would be nice or you could also possibly add a granny flat if that’s something you may be interested in, for resale purposes as these days everyone loves dual occupancy for either older parents or for investment purposes.

Thank you for your opinions! Very helpful. It is such a big decision!

Mrsjm are you planning to sell in the near future? If so I would go with minimal landscaping but adding a few feature items (fire pit) or water feature but not spend heaps on full tiling. If however your planning on staying long term design if for you and your needs. I have two kids 9 & 11 we are putting a pool in and making sure there is room for a trampoline. But ours is our long term home so it’s a bit different

Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum