Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

List of must haves in a building quote

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am seeking some general advise on house buidling quotes.

I am looking for a builder for my first home in QLD. I have visited few display homes and talked to Coral, Clarendon, and Simonds. They all gave me preliminary quotes. I found these quotes were quite different. They all are missing some items and the prices are different because of that. As an example coral didn't included any services to the house.

Would anyone help me to identify what are the must haves in the quote so that i can go and talk to the consultants and get them included. I really don't want to have surprise bills at the end.

Not sure who to go at this stage and the reviews of all of them are pretty good online (not sure whether they are true or not).

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Oh, and get your soil test before you get quotes and get your site costs fixed.
Cheers

My land only releases on December. Coral have given me some fixed site costs at the moment which is around 7000.
wudi
My land only releases on December. Coral have given me some fixed site costs at the moment which is around 7000.
Hi,
Ignore all the specials and sales cow manure, the market is tightening so good deals will keep coming. Wait until your land registers and donn't sign anything until you get min 2 soil tests from the same soil testers the project builders use (approx $500 each). Don't worry, they don't mind telling you who they use. Also make sure you give a copy of your level 1 compaction certificate (your developer has to give you on registration) to the soil tester beforehand, it could affect your soil classification.
Then, take the WORST soil test to at least 3 project builders who you like and get the best quote that includes fixed site costs (eg any piers, rock removal, cartage, spoil removal - EVERYTHING)
If the builder wants to get their own soil test, let them. Just make sure they design and quote engineering for the worst soil classification as it will ensure a stronger slab. Make sure site costs are fixed before you sign the final contract and include everything.
Choose your builders based on the following:
1. Reviews and cleanliness of licence
2. Inclusions and specials
3. Floorplans - try not to make changes to standard floorplans. You will get a better price and possibly discounts if you don't make too many structural changes.
Project builders buy in bulk, including slabs, frames etc so try and keep it simple for them.
4. Size of company. The bigger the better, as less likely to go belly up.
Engage an independent inspection service for all stages of the build.
Have fun

4 - 1 Provide fixed price site works to include;
-Provide for site scrape/preparation works of pad.
-Provide footing Piers under slab into solid founding material.
-Temporary fencing to suit lot size.
-Provide on-site management requirements to suit Workplace Health and Safety to include manual
materials handling for narrow or limited access sites, split deliveries and the like.
-Preliminary certifier assessment fee.
$6,961
wudi
4 - 1 Provide fixed price site works to include;
-Provide for site scrape/preparation works of pad.
-Provide footing Piers under slab into solid founding material.
-Temporary fencing to suit lot size.
-Provide on-site management requirements to suit Workplace Health and Safety to include manual
materials handling for narrow or limited access sites, split deliveries and the like.
-Preliminary certifier assessment fee.
$6,961
So that is regardless of final soil classification? Ie if you get an E with piering (incl screw piers etc), the costs won't change?

That's what I think but I may be totally wrong. What do you think.

The sales guy says it's all fixed.
wudi

Mate if the final contract has that fixed site cost, regardless of your soil test, then you have won.

Capacity for builder originating variations will exist in all contracts.
sweetswisssteel
wudi

Mate if the final contract has that fixed site cost, regardless of your soil test, then you have won.

You never know what comes off from them.

I am thinking of going to Simonds instead of Coral. They have fixed site costs for 7500.
kks
Capacity for builder originating variations will exist in all contracts.

you mean with site costs or with everything ?
I think that means that there are provisions in some contracts so the builder doesn't go broke. eg the soil test ends up class E (extreme reactive) / P (problem) and you need a huge slab with extra steel reinforcememt, Extra concrete etc, screw piers or concrete piers or both! Then you will be forced to pay extra to the builder.
Best to get everything in writing after you have the soil test done because then the costs are more likely to be known beforehand.
My contract had no provisional sums. Just fixed price site costs including piers for an E class slab because engineering was all sorted before the contract was drawn up. Cheers

Basically, with everything. The variation by the builder, mind you, has to be justifiable and the variation billing is required to reflect only a reasonable builder's margin. So, it would be more probable that this type of variation would be at the excavation/slab design stages where the builder encounters issues that they didn't - apparently - understand before they broke the soil. And that's where the fun and games can start.
Our soil was level 1 compacted, nice and flat so no surprises for the builder.

wudi
Hi,

I am seeking some general advise on house buidling quotes.

I am looking for a builder for my first home in QLD. I have visited few display homes and talked to Coral, Clarendon, and Simonds. They all gave me preliminary quotes. I found these quotes were quite different. They all are missing some items and the prices are different because of that. As an example coral didn't included any services to the house.

Would anyone help me to identify what are the must haves in the quote so that i can go and talk to the consultants and get them included. I really don't want to have surprise bills at the end.

Not sure who to go at this stage and the reviews of all of them are pretty good online (not sure whether they are true or not).

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Hi Wudi,

we are waiting on contracts for our build.

My partner and I discussed what we wanted in the home. Made sure we were on the same page! We then wrote out a list of what we wanted included AND what we would like added if the budget allowed. That way, you know to begin with what needs to be in the quote and what doesn't. This can be given to two builders to quote. So long as the house is roughly the same m2 it should give you a good comparison.

We put forward our own design because the home is quite specific and there weren't any suitable plans. Not all builders will revamp your scribble and will only work off their own plans. Builders - including Aussie Homes and Smart Homes etc, will change their own plans for you.

Try and get as much as possible in the quote. If you want stone benches to the kitchen, add them at the beginning. If you want flooring, painting etc, add them at the beginning. Ask the display homes sales rep how much the house cost to build. Sometimes it can be more than twice the standard build cost to finish the display home. The prestart inclusions can add enormous sums and catch you out with the amount you have borrowed from the bank.

Obviously, the builder adds a mark up to all items. They are a business. If you can do it yourself after the build has finished, you will save money. For example painting. But, sometimes it's worth paying the builder a little over what you would pay or cost to do it yourself because it is a lot more convenient!

Have all items listed in the quote. Ask the builder for a breakdown on their price. Most builders will give you a single price for the house build which doesn't help with knowing how to cut back if it's over budget.

If you have included tiles, ensure you can upgrade or choose the tile you like or even remove the tiles at prestart if you are choose to install yourself after hand over. We left the tile budget in because we had already calculated the cost of laying the tiles with a tiler and it was fairly close, but we are still able to remove the tiles at prestart if we choose.

Site works are a necessary evil. But, under $10,000 in Queensland! I'm jealous! Site works here are from $30,000 to $50,000. Builders do tend to quote for the house with an allowance on site works. The P/S or provisional sum. If it's in an estate they will have a pretty good idea of costs. I don't see the need to get numerous soil tests. Especially if the site works are under $10,000 anyway. BTW, you own the soil test if the builder does it for you. You can take this to another builder. But, you do have to pay for the testing.

And lastly, get everything sorted with your plan BEFORE you sign a contract. Get two builders to amend their plan and add all the inclusions you would like. Get the plan how you want it. Then get them both to quote. Don't tell them you have two builders. If the prices are fairly close, you know the price is about right. If they're really different, look at the plans again and try and see how one is saving money. Or is it simply a cheaper builder? It then gives you a marvelous haggling point and will save you a few $$ with the builder you choose.

Below is the list we gave the two builders along with our own rough plan.

Good luck!

What we are after:
HI MaralynManson, Thannks for the comprehensive response. With whom are you building?I haven't had any clue of what inclusions to be added or standard at the beginiing. But after seing a sales rep in Simonds got a fair bit of understanding what they had. They had a nice spreadsheet which i could utilise to estimate my pricing. They also gave me the plans and the sections of the standard design which was great so i could change all the window sizes and other things. Your list definetely has a lot of things to consider. I really like to go for Raked ceilings but not sure how much they cost. Thought of putting laminated flooring through out the house including bedrooms. Not sure the best decision i made but i hate carpet when it comes to cleaning. Is it a good idea to get Solar panaels installed at this stage or may be separately after the build.
Hi Wudi,

My partner and I discussed what we wanted in the home. Made sure we were on the same page! We then wrote out a list of what we wanted included AND what we would like added if the budget allowed. That way, you know to begin with what needs to be in the quote and what doesn't. This can be given to two builders to quote. So long as the house is roughly the same m2 it should give you a good comparison.

We put forward our own design because the home is quite specific and there weren't any suitable plans. Not all builders will revamp your scribble and will only work off their own plans. Builders - including Aussie Homes and Smart Homes etc, will change their own plans for you.

Try and get as much as possible in the quote. If you want stone benches to the kitchen, add them at the beginning. If you want flooring, painting etc, add them at the beginning. Ask the display homes sales rep how much the house cost to build. Sometimes it can be more than twice the standard build cost to finish the display home. The prestart inclusions can add enormous sums and catch you out with the amount you have borrowed from the bank.

Obviously, the builder adds a mark up to all items. They are a business. If you can do it yourself after the build has finished, you will save money. For example painting. But, sometimes it's worth paying the builder a little over what you would pay or cost to do it yourself because it is a lot more convenient!

Have all items listed in the quote. Ask the builder for a breakdown on their price. Most builders will give you a single price for the house build which doesn't help with knowing how to cut back if it's over budget.

If you have included tiles, ensure you can upgrade or choose the tile you like or even remove the tiles at prestart if you are choose to install yourself after hand over. We left the tile budget in because we had already calculated the cost of laying the tiles with a tiler and it was fairly close, but we are still able to remove the tiles at prestart if we choose.

Site works are a necessary evil. But, under $10,000 in Queensland! I'm jealous! Site works here are from $30,000 to $50,000. Builders do tend to quote for the house with an allowance on site works. The P/S or provisional sum. If it's in an estate they will have a pretty good idea of costs. I don't see the need to get numerous soil tests. Especially if the site works are under $10,000 anyway. BTW, you own the soil test if the builder does it for you. You can take this to another builder. But, you do have to pay for the testing.

And lastly, get everything sorted with your plan BEFORE you sign a contract. Get two builders to amend their plan and add all the inclusions you would like. Get the plan how you want it. Then get them both to quote. Don't tell them you have two builders. If the prices are fairly close, you know the price is about right. If they're really different, look at the plans again and try and see how one is saving money. Or is it simply a cheaper builder? It then gives you a marvelous haggling point and will save you a few $$ with the builder you choose.

Good luck!

What we are after:

• I have been aiming at a skillion roof line. I think this narrower plan will suit it. Timber frame with cladding. Skirting and gyprocked walls. No hard wall plaster.
  • Keep the house to the right as the road drops off at Pimelia and will need retaining if we go to far over. I would also like a little garden here to add a better aspect than the road to look at from the living / alfresco.
  • Separate granny flat with sub meter, bottled gas. Under 70m. Single car port. Laundry in a cupboard to maximise living / bedroom. No semi ensuite – one entrance to bathroom from bedroom. Firewall with insulation for sound proofing between granny and house.
  • Nice entrance to house – although a 1200 door would be preferred. We have a double door entrance now and very rarely open the second door. So 1.5m would be fine.
  • High ceiling throughout home with the raked ceiling over living and kitchen or living with a bulk head at kitchen. Granny can be standard height depending on cost / budget.
  • Row of windows along raked ceiling above alfresco.
  • Stacking doors to alfresco.
  • Laundry and pantry behind kitchen.
  • Powder room.
  • Stone to kitchen benchtop 1200. Sink to pantry.
  • Fridge in kitchen with wall oven – we think a 600 will be fine as long as we can fit out 450mm trays inside!
  • Gas cook top.
  • Semi ensuite for master and second bedroom.
  • Considering entrance to second bedroom off living? (we’re thinking of using it for a study / bedroom).
  • Alfresco off living.
  • No alfresco off master – we have that now and never really use it. Perhaps simply add this to the master room as a ‘retreat’?
  • Would be nice to add raked ceiling to master – but not sure on price. But it would look cool. No windows in skillion raised bit.
  • Instantaneous HWS
  • Water tank plumbed to house – I think it’s toilets and laundry but don’t mind if it’s to whole house/granny for ease. I’m guessing the water will be just one supply to house and granny?
  • Coloured concrete drive, alfresco to house and (I guess) granny.
  • Floor coverings: Carpet to theatre. Black and white tiles to entrance. We’re a little undecided on main living / master – perhaps a laminate / vinyl plank / wood (but that will probably cost more than the house!) / tiles. If the second bedroom comes off living, same floor covering.
  • Solar panels.
  • Ducted air.
  • External painting
  • Internal painting? Or we can supply, but perhaps costings?

wudi
HI MaralynManson, Thannks for the comprehensive response. With whom are you building?I haven't had any clue of what inclusions to be added or standard at the beginiing. But after seing a sales rep in Simonds got a fair bit of understanding what they had. They had a nice spreadsheet which i could utilise to estimate my pricing. They also gave me the plans and the sections of the standard design which was great so i could change all the window sizes and other things. Your list definetely has a lot of things to consider. I really like to go for Raked ceilings but not sure how much they cost. Thought of putting laminated flooring through out the house including bedrooms. Not sure the best decision i made but i hate carpet when it comes to cleaning. Is it a good idea to get Solar panaels installed at this stage or may be separately after the build.
Hi Wudi,

Good luck!

What we are after:

• I have been aiming at a skillion roof line. I think this narrower plan will suit it. Timber frame with cladding. Skirting and gyprocked walls. No hard wall plaster.
  • Keep the house to the right as the road drops off at Pimelia and will need retaining if we go to far over. I would also like a little garden here to add a better aspect than the road to look at from the living / alfresco.
  • Separate granny flat with sub meter, bottled gas. Under 70m. Single car port. Laundry in a cupboard to maximise living / bedroom. No semi ensuite – one entrance to bathroom from bedroom. Firewall with insulation for sound proofing between granny and house.
  • Nice entrance to house – although a 1200 door would be preferred. We have a double door entrance now and very rarely open the second door. So 1.5m would be fine.
  • High ceiling throughout home with the raked ceiling over living and kitchen or living with a bulk head at kitchen. Granny can be standard height depending on cost / budget.
  • Row of windows along raked ceiling above alfresco.
  • Stacking doors to alfresco.
  • Laundry and pantry behind kitchen.
  • Powder room.
  • Stone to kitchen benchtop 1200. Sink to pantry.
  • Fridge in kitchen with wall oven – we think a 600 will be fine as long as we can fit out 450mm trays inside!
  • Gas cook top.
  • Semi ensuite for master and second bedroom.
  • Considering entrance to second bedroom off living? (we’re thinking of using it for a study / bedroom).
  • Alfresco off living.
  • No alfresco off master – we have that now and never really use it. Perhaps simply add this to the master room as a ‘retreat’?
  • Would be nice to add raked ceiling to master – but not sure on price. But it would look cool. No windows in skillion raised bit.
  • Instantaneous HWS
  • Water tank plumbed to house – I think it’s toilets and laundry but don’t mind if it’s to whole house/granny for ease. I’m guessing the water will be just one supply to house and granny?
  • Coloured concrete drive, alfresco to house and (I guess) granny.
  • Floor coverings: Carpet to theatre. Black and white tiles to entrance. We’re a little undecided on main living / master – perhaps a laminate / vinyl plank / wood (but that will probably cost more than the house!) / tiles. If the second bedroom comes off living, same floor covering.
  • Solar panels.
  • Ducted air.
  • External painting
  • Internal painting? Or we can supply, but perhaps costings?

Hi Wudi,
Things you can install after the build will save you money. Solar Panels for example. Sometimes the builders have a deal to install solar panels or floor coverings. For example, Redink have the solar panel offer at present. Dale Alcock have the range of homes fully finished for $200,000.

We are building with Dale Alcock in the South West of WA.
cheers
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum