Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder left bad ethernet connections (?)

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I requested Boutique Homes to install cat6 cables around the house (for general networking use and also for installing 8 IP POE Hikvision Cameras). I had the handover last week and after I installed all of the cameras, I noticed that most of them were not working properly (only 2 out of the 8 cameras). After scratching my head for a whole night trying to figure out what I did wrong (and also feeling defeated on this diy attempt), I bought an Ethernet cable tester in bunnings for around $20, picture below.

First, I tested some cat6, cat6a and cat5e cables I had around my house to check how this cable tester works, and it reported a sequential connection, 1 - 8, from the 8 internal wires in each Ethernet cable. But then when I tested the cat6 cable runs that boutique homes left in my house, I only got this sequential connection on 4 (I even tried with my cat6, cat6a and cat5e path lead cables, and I still got sequential connection 1-8 on these cat6 runs) out of the 13 cable runs I tested , there are more that I didn't bother testing.

Some examples of the connectivity I got (see photo attached):
- Cable H: "crossover" connection 1-2, and then sequential 3-8.
- Cable C: Sequential 1-4, skips 5, and then sequential 6-8.
- Cable F: Sequential 1-3, Skips 4-5, sequential 6-7 and skips 8.
- Cable A and B: Skips 1-2, Sequential 3-8.
- Cable E: Skips 1, sequential 2-6, skips 7-8.
- Cable G: Connects 1, skips 2-3, sequential 4-8.
- D5: Skips 1, Sequential 2-8.
- For "phone cat6 (?)" runs: Skips 1-3, sequential 4-5, skips 6-8.

My knowledge on Ethernet cables is quite limited, but it looks like the builder or their contractor did something fishy here. Is this normal? Did they do something wrong? Am I doing something wrong? I am about to send an email complaining to the builder, but I would like some help to have an understanding about what's going on.

Can you pull out the socket at both ends and see if the colours of the individual wires match what your reader is telling you?
Ie: if wires appear crossed over?
They should all be wired straight through I would have thought.
Since you have just had handover; Get boutique to have the electricians out now in maintenance and they can explain to you or fix it to save you running around trying to solve.
A couple of electricians i have had out to quote CCTV have said that internet speeds in Australia even with NBN are generally not fast enough for IP digital camera systems.
They said they’d install if that’s what I wanted but that customers have had mixed satisfaction.
I'd say installer mistakes on all those cables not testing correctly. I've also run into bad cable installs from my builders electrician, though mostly not fully seated. it also **** me that these guys mostly don't even test the cables at all. When I was an installer I pentascanned everything which also measures crosstalk and other things, not just continuity.

Related
17/01/2024
Ethernet ports for my new home aren’t working

General Discussion

Okay sorry silly me, my wife has solves the mystery for me. It’s because the labels on the ports are all wrongly positioned by the builder hence it confuses me.

22/09/2023
Roof Downpipe connections to drainage

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

It's all good. You can get both wye piece and the coupling with or without thread. The cost difference is negligible and means the plumber only has to carry the single…

20/12/2023
Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum