Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Should of got full fixed site costs!

Page 1 of 1
Hey

Got a bad e-mail to start my week off. Building a house with JG King. They were the cheapest overall out of our quotes. They allowed up to 15 cubic metres of rock in their site costs
I wouldn't of thought we would go over that

boy was I wrong or very unlucky

The first excavation they found 10 cubic meres
electrical works they found 5

then when drainage works completed they found 45 cubic metres!

Quadruple the amount they found at the start

This will cost me $11,000 now

I called the builder and spoke to who is looking after my build. I asked if they could please reduce the cost of it. But I think this is unlikely. All they said they can do is charge me at the end of the build so I have enough time to I guess "save up"

Is there anything else I can do to try and get this reduced, I would like any suggestions. II can speak to their manager to

Just checked my soiled report to "attached" It says in bold :

Refusal to tungsten auger on moderately
weathered basalt or boulder

Does this mean, they couldnt bore down that far, as it could be hard material, either basalt or boulder?
"Refusal to tungsten auger on moderately
weathered basalt or boulder"
Read you contract and see what provisions are there.
Maybe you can pull back some inclusions that are equal value and save money that way?
If it was a provisional sum then ask for all costings and how they arrived at 11k, maybe they will pull back a bit if you can show they are overcharging you.

sweetswisssteel
Read you contract and see what provisions are there.
Maybe you can pull back some inclusions that are equal value and save money that way?
If it was a provisional sum then ask for all costings and how they arrived at 11k, maybe they will pull back a bit if you can show they are overcharging you.

On the quote they allowed a provisional sum of up to 15 cubic metres of rock
The supervisor told me they found 10m3 on the first excavation
another 5 during electrical work
then 45m3 when doing the plumbing trenches and drainage

so I used 15m3 already in the first 2 stages

then got hit with a big 45m3 amount of rocks I need to pay for now @ $283 per m3
They charged me 22,700 for rock removal ( 10k provisional + 12700 extra after ) 😠😠
I guess it is what it is, I still went ahead because the block was very cheap

All I think i can do is ask if they can reduce the cost

but you know what, I asked this to the sales guy before signing and he was sure that there was no rock in that area. "he apparently knew this because theyve built in the same area a few times"

what a bull crap artist
Where ur land is ? And how big is it?
Wyndham - Vic and 350sqm
mine in manor lakes
Patrick
....but you know what, I asked this to the sales guy before signing and he was sure that there was no rock in that area. "he apparently knew this because theyve built in the same area a few times"

what a bull crap artist

Gouging (literally) has been discussed many times before. Nobody believes Salesman that are paid high commissions, they will tell you whatever you want to hear, promise the earth (excuse the pun), and after you have signed the contract are nowhere to be found.Caveat emptor
Related
28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

17/04/2024
Site costs

Buying Land

Henley should give you some indication of site costs. Too many variable to give you any reasonable accuracy

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum