Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

BAL12.5 cost

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

We are looking at building in Greenbank area and the block of land has a BAL12.5. We received a quote from a builder today and it is $14,390!!! Is this reasonable?

The quote said:
assessment $400
Spark guards to weepholes $400
Flame retardant bristles to garage door $600
Upgrade windows $1800
Safety screens to windows and sliding doors $6475
Entry door upgrade $485
Anticon wool blanket bal rated $4190.
Sounds a bit steep. If I remember correctly the quote from my builder was around 4k.
The wool blanket - not sure what that is, but was quoted sarking as part of the 4k.
I got it deleted at contract as my land was deemed not to be in a bushfire zone.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
cory
Hi guys,

We are looking at building in Greenbank area and the block of land has a BAL12.5. We received a quote from a builder today and it is $14,390!!! Is this reasonable?

The quote said:
assessment $400
Spark guards to weepholes $400
Flame retardant bristles to garage door $600
Upgrade windows $1800
Safety screens to windows and sliding doors $6475
Entry door upgrade $485
Anticon wool blanket bal rated $4190.

Depends on the size of your house etc but it’s a similar price to what we paid on the Gold Coast. We paid around $11k for ours. Our anticon blanket was $5000 alone.
House is 340m2.

The confusing part is we has another builder quote us $3300 for a 350m2 house.
Forgot to mention ours is a 44sq double storey house.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
It really just depends on what what needs to be upgraded. Some builders may use windows that don’t need to be upgraded ect ect. The only thing on that list that seems expensive if the safety screens to windows and doors. I don’t know how many windows and doors you have but I’m pretty sure you only need aluminium mesh on openable windows. Doors don’t need any mesh
The price is over the top, I would be asking the builder to justify the costs of these 4 items
Spark Guards
Upgrade windows
Safety Screens
Anticon
But in Particular the safety screens, you only need to upgrade the flyscreens to Aluminium wish roughly would be $25 per flyscreen, either they are trying to rip you off to make up margin or the estimator doesn't know what they are doing.
Good luck

Ours was $4k for a 28 sq house, double story.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum