Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Question Skirting and flooring

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Anyone can help me on what is the best way or correct way of skirting.
A. Skirting first before floor tiles (tiles is perpendicular to skirting)
B. Tiles first before skirting (skirting sitting on top of files)

I thought pt. B is better and clean. But my builder EDEN BRAE, they said they always do pt. A.

I'm using porcelain rectified spacing. Not sure if should I be worried about dirt side trapping on pt. A?
Another question (sorry
), If point B is better, anyone had a WIN over your builder to do point B?

Thanks in Advance!
B looks much better, but volume builders generally won't do it. If they do it afterwards then they have to come back after the flooring contractor, and risk damaging the floor etc etc. Also it will highlight any inconsistent level in the floor

My builder, who has been flexible on other things, said the best they can do is leave the skirting boards off, but then I would need to do them myself after handover
WE have tiles down first (including under kitchen bench etc) then skirting, definitely looks better and neater, but it is more expensive as the whole floor is tiled, not just around the edges.
Also skirtings go on last, so risk of paint splashes etc on new tiles while painting skirts, So quicker and easier to do after. I’m sure they would do it fo you, depends on how much it will cost....
The skirting essentially helps in hiding the irregularities between the join of floor and wall. So the skirting should go on after the wall and floor are done. So it should be "B. Tiles first before skirting (skirting sitting on top of files)"

Further in scenario A, how can you ever remove the skirting without damaging the tile ?
thanks guys.. I'm very convinced as well with point B. I guess my problem now is this big builder they don't want to be double charge by their tradies because of coming back to the house after the tile. Also, it can potentially damaged the tiles or spilling paint on the tiles while completing the skirting. and I'm sure my inspector will pick it up.

If i do it myself, I need to rely on the tiler to lay the tiles 100 level (which is almost impossible). That would be hard for me to get that clean look finish as i might have gaps as some tiles are over or under level across the whole ground floor

Unless someone win over the builder like EDEN brae of asking them to do it.
... the whole point B. And i can use the same argument with the builder...

Anyway, thanks everyone guys! very helpful
I have heard where the builder has loose fixed the skirting (with blue tack) - the tilers remove the skirting and do their job - then builder handyman fixes the skirting.

Paint spill is no big issue as painters are trained to handle that.
Related
22/04/2024
Clix flooring and skirting boards gaps.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Is this acceptable in a new house build. Floors where installed by builder. Already chips in board and skirting is not flush

5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum