Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Slab design - garage lower than ground level

Page 1 of 1
[ltr]Hi All,[/ltr]

[ltr]Question on slab designs - to meet garage height requirements our builder will need to lower my slab in the garage, resulting in the garage to be 86mm below ground level. [/ltr]

[ltr]Anyone been into a similar situation before?[/ltr]

[ltr]I'm a bit concerned about potential flooding in the garage due to being lower than ground level. How did you get around this?[/ltr]
Garages are traditionally always built one step lower than the house.
Why are you worried about flooding? Better that you only flood the garage than the whole house!!
Hi, I thought when they said lower than ground level it meant lower than the surrounding ground soil level outside, not lower than the ground floor of the house, that's why I was concerned of the flooding as water might get in when it rains.

Building the Votivo43 - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88553
Hi g33kerb0t,

I had a quick look at your build thread, so it seems your land might not be titled yet, so do you not have a site plan with ground levels?
I would also presume they mean its a step down into the garage from the house, but not below the finished ground level.
Hi,

Sorry my build thread is not up to date

Land has titled and settling tomorrow.

I have the site plan but it isn't finalized yet. There's still some discussions with the builder regarding changes to the site plan.
luxbuild
Hi g33kerb0t,

I had a quick look at your build thread, so it seems your land might not be titled yet, so do you not have a site plan with ground levels?
I would also presume they mean its a step down into the garage from the house, but not below the finished ground level.

g33kerb0t
Hi,

I have the site plan but it isn't finalized yet. There's still some discussions with the builder regarding changes to the site plan.

If you are seeking advice It is in your best interest to keep your build threat up to date
Your builder will adjust the levels to suit him, this may not suit you for work that you may have to do after handover, ie storm water, Runoff, Retaining ,etc.. since you only get one go at getting it right please post up the contour site plan, levels,etc for considered advice. hth
Thanks. I'll post it as soon as I've got it back from the builder.
StructuralBIMGuy
g33kerb0t
Hi,

If you are seeking advice It is in your best interest to keep your build threat up to date
Your builder will adjust the levels to suit him, this may not suit you for work that you may have to do after handover, ie storm water, Runoff, Retaining ,etc.. since you only get one go at getting it right please post up the contour site plan, levels,etc for considered advice. hth

gogo65
Garages are traditionally always built one step lower than the house.
Why are you worried about flooding? Better that you only flood the garage than the whole house!!

Hi Guys,

We have been told that due to higher fall on our block, we are going to have 2 steps in the garage to access home from garage door or do not obtain internal access garage door.

Without having 2 steps, It would be one big step to gain access inside.

Any thoughts or did some one come across with this issue ?
Hi Wild,
I don't think its a problem to have two steps, it may mean you have a higher ceiling in the garage which I think is handy.
Thanks mate
The issue is that the slab level of garage is lower than surrounding ground level and that there may be a risk of flooding. A competent designer will set levels to either avoid that scenario or if it cannot be then ground levels be modified to be lower or if that is not practical to provide for effective drainage. I all cases there must be compliance with NCC.
One of the things I check for in pre contract review is house levels in relation to ground and drainage. Many times I have advised the client to go back to the builder for review of design levels.
Related
10/03/2024
Fittting Lower Ground entry door/landing in 2200mm of FFL

Renovation + Home Improvement

I am looking to design an entry door to a lower ground basement that has 2200mm between the external entry height to FFL of the ground floor. This door will provide an…

5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

18/11/2023
level the ground with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB boa

Hi guys, I want to do some floor levelling before laying the planks and am considering doing it with self-levelling or yellow tongue PB board. I am wondering which one…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum