Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Lightweight builders in Adelaide SA - Rivergum, Sarah, etc

Page 1 of 1
Hi. I am looking to build in Adelaide on a sloping site using lightweight construction - mainly for cost reasons. I am aware of Sarah Homes and Rivergum who build in this way and are moderately priced but was interested in any other recommendations as I have dealt with both previously and not been entirely satisfied. As the site is sloping many of the volume builders such as Fairmont are not interested, even with cut and fill to create a building area.
jm_928
Hi. I am looking to build in Adelaide on a sloping site using lightweight construction - mainly for cost reasons. I am aware of Sarah Homes and Rivergum who build in this way and are moderately priced but was interested in any other recommendations as I have dealt with both previously and not been entirely satisfied. As the site is sloping many of the volume builders such as Fairmont are not interested, even with cut and fill to create a building area.

Hi, how did you go with either of Sarah Hones or Rivergum? Have heard mixed reviews of both builders so just wondering who you opted to go for?
I was originally going to build with Rivergum but my site was quite difficult and after months or delays and going back and forth over a period of months in the end they were unable to provide a quote _ I think they put it in the too hard basket. They may have been better on a simpler site that is flat and with good soil, but it was disappointing wasting time (and an initial payment of $2000) when they were clearly unable to build on my land.

Sarah Homes were better equiped to deal with complex site (slope + rock) and overall have been reasonable with minimal unexpected cost variations once the contract was signed. They were slow to get started with siteworks and slab, but from that point on proceeded rapidly. Although using a HIA contract the payment schedule is from over 10 years ago an doesn't align with the current standard contract which can cause issues with some lenders. They were flexible on changes to the floorplan and pricing on variations is reasonable, although they do add up and the standard inclusions are fairly basic.

There have been a couple of issues along the way, but overall building with them has been a reasonable experience and I would consider using them again but was interested in other options.

From my investigations of builders here in SA, Rivergum and Sarah Homes seem to be only volume builders who use lightweight building techniques rather than traditional brick veneer and as a result are competitively priced. In my case the slope and rock meant ruled out most the volume builders, leaving few options.
Related
24/12/2023
Garage builder, Adelaide

General Discussion

Building a new home, and looking for a garage builder (home builder not contracted to do this). Someone to build steel garage (double), colorbond, including supply and…

10/05/2023
Builders

General Discussion

Look at your bill from the electricity company. It should detail the charges. You will need to do some estimating and some calculations. Then charge the…

15/06/2023
WA Builders

Building A New House

Site works are just about to start on our build with Blueprint in Midvale. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=106894

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum