Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Pre wire for solar panels and Roof supporting solar panels.

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone pre wire for solar panels?
I will.

Electrician will simply run a few wires from roof to near the meter box.

Double storey house so easier to pre wire it.

I read that these days when you build a house you need to tell them the roof must be able to support solar panels weight.

Not sure how true this is.. Won't a typical new house these days the roof are strong enough to support solar panels?

I read a 5kw solar panels using todays tech. is around 420kg spread along 32m2 of roof space..

Anyone could comment more on this?
I was looking into solar panels and mentioned to the companies that we hadn't made any allowance in the truss design for panels. Not one company seemed to think that would cause any trouble.

I've just had mine pre wired - the roof question wasn't even asked.... I honestly don't think its a concern.

The only thing they have done is put the frames up that hold the panels - not even sure if they have run any wires. The place is full of wires and I have no idea which one is which! LOL
BrentandAllison
I've just had mine pre wired - the roof question wasn't even asked.... I honestly don't think its a concern.

The only thing they have done is put the frames up that hold the panels - not even sure if they have run any wires. The place is full of wires and I have no idea which one is which! LOL

Did you prewire one cable for your solar or two?

I read that depending on your roof areas and designs. You may need two wires. if the panels are separated . eg. some panels facing north and some panels facing east/west.
I'd say 2 as the panels are split from our main roof area and 4 panels on the garage.
we asked our builder to provide 2 extra 20 mm conduits to the roof space for future solar panels installation.
it cost us $150.

Later when we decide to install panels they will just put their wires into prepared conduits.

no frame strengthening needed for solar panels.
Yes, roof frames are generally designed to handle snow load, and foot of snow weights around 100 kg per sq m.
I decided to pre-wire my build to avoid any conduit on the outside of the house.
I decided to run a “10mm 4 Core & Earth Orange Circular Cable” from the power box to location for the inverter and I ran 2 conduits from the bottom level roof and top story roof.

You would think I got a discount for the install wouldn’t you..
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum