Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building on Slope -right to left 1.25m- land - suggestions n

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
My Architect has just completed the drawings, but we are stuck at finding the best option in achieving the flat back and front yard as my land is sloping from right fence to left fence by around 1.3m.

a) If we cut on right side, and build retaining of 1.3m right, then whole house level is getting almost below road level, and lower than my high side neighbour.
b) If we cut and fill, then I may have to build retaining walls both sides which cost me too much
c) If I build retaining wall of 1.3m on low side and do only Fill, then my house will be higher as well as can get flat back and front yards. By the way, do I need to do drop edge beam in this scenario?
d) Are there any other smart option that I am missing here. Appreciate your help. Thx

Split level house? What does the architect recommend?
You built on a slope, so whether you retain or do a split level, you will be forking out some extra cash. You can’t make the slope disappear, so you have to deal with it one way or another which = $$$

Hillsbuilds
Split level house? What does the architect recommend?

We wouldn't prefer split house. So wondering which of the a to c is better option
benblinkau
You built on a slope, so whether you retain or do a split level, you will be forking out some extra cash. You can’t make the slope disappear, so you have to deal with it one way or another which = $$$

Decided to retain, but not sure which of the below retain option is best?

a) If we cut on right side, and build retaining of 1.3m right, then whole house level is getting almost below road level, and lower than my high side neighbour.
b) If we cut and fill, then I may have to build retaining walls both sides which cost me too much
c) If I build retaining wall of 1.3m on low side and do only Fill, then my house will be higher as well as can get flat back and front yards. By the way, do I need to do drop edge beam in this scenario?
If not open to consider split level
I’d go the fill option.
Higher house,
More sunlight to yard and house in windows
Less likely to be impacted on cut high side by shadowing by neighbors house

But seek architects advice. They are the professionals and will take them not account neighboring houses, street level etc
Gaudi
If not open to consider split level
I’d go the fill option.
Higher house,
More sunlight to yard and house in windows
Less likely to be impacted on cut high side by shadowing by neighbors house

But seek architects advice. They are the professionals and will take them not account neighboring houses, street level etc

Thanks Gaudi, appreciate your suggestions, going with this option
ratna
I wouldn't proceed too far beyond the architects Sketch
Without preliminary engineering Data and Construction costs
Slab & Formwork Costs
Related
11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

25/02/2024
Slope land builders Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi All, We have recently purchased a sloping block (3.5m fall building envelope, 6m overall). Just wondering if you know of any good builders that you would recommend for…

20/12/2023
Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum