Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

When a Granny Flat is not a Granny Flat

Page 1 of 1
While visiting display homes of new houses recently, I was intrigued by two interesting offerings by a builder.

One was called an 'Integrated Granny Flat', which is a two bedroom-livingroom-bath-kitchen set up under one roof, along with the main house. Both the main house and the 'separate quarter' are connected by a door. The flat also has its separate entry door from outside.

The other one is a traditional attached granny flat, with its separate entry door. Between the main house and the granny flat there's no connecting passage.

What intrigued me is that I was led to believe that the first one is Not considered a proper granny flat as such and -- this is the interesting bit -- it leaves the option open to have a detached granny flat in the backyard (assuming one passes the space requirements).

Does this sound right, or have I misunderstood the sales person (I did ask twice to clarify)?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Intergrated Granny - looks like a product for built for AirBnB.
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum