Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a New Home. What You Must Know.

Page 1 of 1
Dear All,

For the knowledge of all I have put together the following information to assist you all in placing weight or reliance on the builders employees comments:

This is critical information as many people in exulted positions, for which they hold no registration, or more so, no qualification will tell you through your build that it is "Within Tolerance" or that is "Not a Defect" and comments like these.

Be very careful of these snake oil salesmen. Do your own research on what is right and what is wrong. Bring in a professional company to hold the builder to account in the form of a Private Inspector.

A great document to down load and then understand is "The Guide to Standards and Tolerances, 2015". It is the current go to book that will give you the basics.

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... s-2015.pdf

Again for a more professional viewpoint you may need to engage a Private Inspector. Lots of them around. However once again do your research and read reviews. Choose wisely as they can also be unqualified when it comes to their experience. There is no Registration for a Private Inspector, however you will find that most hold University Qualifications and have the runs on the board.

Being informed allows you to have a level of control. It also allows you to see through the quagmire of bull that sometimes is perpetrated by the builders employees. Accept what they say on face value, however then do your research and it will always be beneficial in the long run to have a qualified support team on your side.

Good luck to you all. I wish you all the best with turning your House Into A Home.
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

16/08/2023
QS fees for building a new home

General Discussion

Is it just a report written to give to the bank initially and it is based on what and how your payments are made up for, or is it a full service where they go out and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum