Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Ausbuild at Harrington Estate, Bridgeman Downs

Page 1 of 6
Just about to start building our new home with Ausbuild at Harrington Estate in Bridgeman Downs.

Will post updates and progress photos here

Timeline so far:
21/5 Build contract signed
11/6 Land registered
25/7 Land settled

28/7 Build contract signed
13/7 Tile selections
24/7 Colour and electrical selection
4/9 File handed over to construction team
12/9 Slab
19/9 Frame
28/9 Roof, gutter and facia
5/10 Windows and front door installed
12/10 Wall sarking, gas, aircon, plumbing and electrical rough-in
9/11 Lock-up
26/11 Painting commenced
Oh yay! Are you the pool with the slab about to go down in stage 2???
No, that's not us...

We just finalised colour selections.
Ha ha , sorry I just got excited when I saw stage 2 starting yesterday! Do you have any pics from colours? Did it cost heaps more? We've yet to get to the tile place and that's our only unknown variable at the moment. Hoping not to spend heaps on upgrading bathroom tiles etcđŸ˜«
We upgraded quite a lot before we even got to the studio, so not many surprises there.
At National Tiles we only upgraded a few minor things, like the grout colour and feature tiles for shower niches.

Electrical, however, was a different story. We had included what we thought was a generous allowance, but the bill ended up double that.

Are you in stage 2?
👀😳 OMG ... I was calculating how many powerpoints and lights etc we need today and we're doomed then!! We have $3500 allowance on top of the 29lights etc but I'm assuming double that at least? So did you end up using the std range of tiles for bathrooms or you had already upgraded before. Didn't even know that was an option if so.
👀😳 OMG ... I was calculating how many powerpoints and lights etc we need today and we're doomed then!! We have $3500 allowance on top of the 29lights etc but I'm assuming double that at least? So did you end up using the std range of tiles for bathrooms or you had already upgraded before. Didn't even know that was an option if so. And yes stage 2, you guys too?
We had $3000 electrical allowance, our bill at the moment is about $6500 (for a single storey house), and that is with us supplying fans, pendant lights and most of the external lights. We did add a lot, but one advice we always hear is - you can never have enough power points
We also added several dimmer switches, exhausts to bathrooms etc.

We used standard range tiles, they have a pretty good selection. Upgraded grout colour to match better with our floor tiles, feature tiles for shower niches (cost about $90 for 2 bathrooms) and laundry wall tiles, which was a very minor upgrade and cost about $30.

We are also in stage 2.
Thanks so much for that info! you've put my mind somewhat at ease. I was worried the std tile range would be awful , but I've been pleasantly surprised by all the std inclusions so far so I shouldn't have been I guess.

We're also focusing on getting things that are hard to change later like electricals done now so we'll definitely be in the same boat with PowerPoint overload.
Looking forward to seeing you document your build on here!
We went to the National Tiles, as well as the Ausbuild studio several times before our selection appointments. At National Tiles if you tell them you are building with Ausbuild, they give you a list of included tiles, and you can start looking around.
We also did free consultations at Austral Bricks and Beacon, which helped us with many decisions.
I’m currently building in stage 1. If I can offer any advice to you both...

Get an independent inspector in before sheeting. After electrical rough-in and plumbing.
Let’s just say I’m very glad I did.

Check your boundary and discuss this with your rep now. There is a very good chance you’re not going to have a fence and you’re going to be sharing a wall if your neigbour is building to boundary.

Get everything in writing. Do not take Ausbuild’s verbal acceptance. Communication is atrocious.

I’ve spoken to many of the other folk that are building or have settled in person at the estate and not a single family is even content with Ausbuild. All very disappointed.

This is a business only for Ausbuild and you will be treated as a number. Be prepared.
Harrington

Get an independent inspector in before sheeting. After electrical rough-in and plumbing.

Check your boundary and discuss this with your rep now. There is a very good chance you’re not going to have a fence and you’re going to be sharing a wall if your neigbour is building to boundary.

Get everything in writing. Do not take Ausbuild’s verbal acceptance. Communication is atrocious.

I’ve spoken to many of the other folk that are building or have settled in person at the estate and not a single family is even content with Ausbuild. All very disappointed.

This is a business only for Ausbuild and you will be treated as a number. Be prepared.

Hi Harrington, do you mind sharing what issues did you have along the way?
Irish16
Harrington

We have experienced several issues, a lot of which derived from the abysmal build communication. I cannot stress how hopeless the office has been. Stay on top of them.

You rely on the office so much as you won’t have direct access to your supervisor and they are useless.

Organise an independent inspector for peace of mind. Others in the estate wish they had of done so.

To date, Ausbuild’s approach to the build has been “make a mistake and rectify it later” as long as the build doesn’t stop.

I would never build with them again and that has been the general consensus. The sales process was great, the build has been a constant battle.
We are building at Kinross with Ausbuild and would agree with the statements here. However we have a great site supervisor who gave us his phone number on our first contact and he has made the build process so much better. Yes, there have been mistakes but he has been able to rectify them each time. Plus he has also suggested doing some things differently during the build which worked out better for us and I think made it easier for Ausbuild. He used to run his own company and do custom builds so knows how to manage clients and build a quality product.

On the office side we are onto our third customer services officer and it was 4 weeks since we last had an update from them. However being able to contact the SS has made a big difference.

Our SS is the second one and we are hoping we have him until the end of our build - which hopefully is 14-16 weeks away.

Good luck with your journeys!

Cheers, Paul
Harrington
Irish16
Harrington

We have experienced several issues, a lot of which derived from the abysmal build communication. I cannot stress how hopeless the office has been. Stay on top of them.

You rely on the office so much as you won’t have direct access to your supervisor and they are useless.

Organise an independent inspector for peace of mind. Others in the estate wish they had of done so.

To date, Ausbuild’s approach to the build has been “make a mistake and rectify it later” as long as the build doesn’t stop.

I would never build with them again and that has been the general consensus. The sales process was great, the build has been a constant battle.

Thanks for sharing, who did you end up using as an independent inspector, we've been searching around for one.
Harrington

So are you not allowed to have a fence??? What block are you on If you don't mind sharing , happy for you to dm me. We were told everyone on the street could only build to the boundary on the ride hand side of each block for uniformity and had 20cm min left between Bundy and building.
Well, you are allowed to have a fence but only up until the point where your RHS wall meets the boundary.Technically, this is your land that will not be accessible. Ausbuild won’t build a fence for no other reason than cost saving. It may cause you dramas down the track if you go to sell as you have lost that small parcel of land and the boundary has been changed.

They will tell you it’s termite related but that’s rubbbish as the entire perimeter is termite protected, as is the timber fence they erect.
There are very good reasons they do not build a fence when the garage wall is built to boundary - especially if there is only 20cm between wall and boundary. A fence will hide the weep holes so you can't inspect to ensure they are not obstructed. Leaves and rubbish can get trapped and block weep holes as can wasps and other insects. Plus weeds grow everywhere and would be hard to keep under control if you cannot access this area with a fence in the way.

Our neighbour built to boundary and we are glad Ausbuild left the brick wall as the boundary divider - so are our neighbours who wish to keep this area free of obstruction (fence) so they can inspect their brick wall as required.

We did not build to boundary and have clear access around both sides of our house - but are not concerned our neighbours chose this option.

Regards, Paul
pbwhi0
There are very good reasons they do not build a fence when the garage wall is built to boundary - especially if there is only 20cm between wall and boundary. A fence will hide the weep holes so you can't inspect to ensure they are not obstructed. Leaves and rubbish can get trapped and block weep holes as can wasps and other insects. Plus weeds grow everywhere and would be hard to keep under control if you cannot access this area with a fence in the way.

Our neighbour built to boundary and we are glad Ausbuild left the brick wall as the boundary divider - so are our neighbours who wish to keep this area free of obstruction (fence) so they can inspect their brick wall as required.

We did not build to boundary and have clear access around both sides of our house - but are not concerned our neighbours chose this option.

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes - all well and good in a perfect world providing you get along well with your neighbours. Also, when/if you go to sell and the boundaries don’t align as per the surveyor and plans?

If it weren’t an Ausbuild estate and other builders were building as well they would put fencing. It’s cost driven.
Harrington
pbwhi0

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes - all well and good in a perfect world providing you get along well with your neighbours. Also, when/if you go to sell and the boundaries don’t align as per the surveyor and plans?

If it weren’t an Ausbuild estate and other builders were building as well they would put fencing. It’s cost driven.

Not sure what you are talking about. You do not require a fence at all on the boundary. As long as the garage wall is on the neighbours property all is good. The boundary is the boundary whether there is a fence/wall there or not.
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum