Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes Daydream 28 Far North Coast NSW

Page 9 of 10
Hi Tash. I had a pre-pre-handover walkthrough on Thursday. The formal pre-HO-walkthrough is on Tuesday 19th. I set up the Thursday meeting so that I know what to expect for next week. I also had my own audit list that we went through to give my SS a heads up. It should save time next week. Corals QA inspector goes through on the Wednesday and I have the independent inspector (that I referred you to) going through on Thursday. We are looking good for handover sometime the week starting 25th March....... and then the hard work (i.e. landscping) begins!
That’s great news! So you don’t go through with the inspector? I’m definitely booking one now, I’ve already found a few little things I’m not happy with
Tash801
That’s great news! So you don’t go through with the inspector? I’m definitely booking one now, I’ve already found a few little things I’m not happy with

Yes. As I said in my last reply, the independent inspector goes through Thursdsy next week. I'm not expecting him to find much but Im doing it for peace of mind.
End of week 18 (21 weeks since build started)

This weeks progress:
-Shower screens and mirrors installed
-Wardrobe doors
-Fly screens installed

-Skirting boards painted and paint touch-ups completed
-Driveway and path to front door installed
- QA audits commenced.

- Pre-handover walkthrough next week!!!

Issues:
Seemingly random last minute email from Coral informing us that private certifier will not issue occupation certificate until a fly screen has been installed on the laundry door, front door and on the rear garage door (just over $1K for the lot). We already have a screen door on the laundry so I am not sure why this has come up. There are also a number of reasons why I should not have to put one on the front door (I mean who wants to pay for a 1,200mm door upgrade just to cover it with an ugly screen?) the main ones being that its not practical on a large door and no else around us have had to meet the same conditions. I've called council and they are leaning toward siding with me. I am hoping to have written confirmation from the environ. health officer that a screen on the front door isn't necessary before the end of the week.

More or less at practical completion!!!!

Sunlit kitchen

Loving our engineered timber floors - the acoustic underlay was well worth the extra spend

Shower screens and mirrors are in
Why would anyone want flyscreen on the doors at all?

You generally do not use doors for ventilation.

Which BCA requirement is your private certifier referring to?
alexp79
Why would anyone want flyscreen on the doors at all?

You generally do not use doors for ventilation.

Which BCA requirement is your private certifier referring to?

"You generally do not use doors for ventilation" I agree.

I think the PC is taking the wording "all windows, external doors and other openings" in the DA conditions and Ballina Shire Council's DCP a little too literally. The DCP indicates some flexibility where it is "impractical to effectively screen".
Did the inspector find anything?
Hi Tash. Yes. All minor and several out of sight out of mind items e.g. sealing underside of entry door and rear garage door. The need to replace an excessively scratched window was the only item that might be considered major. Overall, however, Colin was impressed with the quality of the build. We are glad we got him in. At the end of the build there have been multiple inspections but we never got to see the reports for these. So having own inspector come through has given us peace of mind. Home stretch now. I hope yours is going well. Cheers. Brad
That’s great. We have him going through Tuesday afternoon, straight after we do ours. Do they book handover straight after the inspections?
Not "booked" as such. Handover happens when occupation certificate is issued, the final payment is made and everything on the fix-up list that is to be addressed prior to handover is completed. Our SS has indicated that 1st April is "not out of question".
End of week 19 (22 weeks since build started)

This weeks progress:
- Coral Homes QA audits
- Pre-handover walkthrough
- Independent audit
- I surrounded the house with 4.5 tonne of metal dust as a temporary measure to slow down the red dirt splashing onto external walls and being trodden onto external concrete and inside the house.
- I brush cut and sprayed out the entire block in prep for landscaping.

Issues: QA audits found only minor imperfections requiring attention before handover. The most significant are the need to adjust the height of a tile threshold ramp to meet flooring level off the toilet, replace a window panel that has more scratches on it than allowed by the standards. The rest is pretty much just touching up painting and installing a fly screen to the family stacked slider. The occupation certificate has also been delayed due to the certifier being understaffed.

Its almost a wrap with handover tentatively scheduled for 1st April (pending occupation certificate followed by final payment).

No photos this week. I'll save that until handover.
Have you had communication from your ss about how they are going with fixing the items on colin’s list? Just wondering if I should be expecting to be told as they fix things or even once a week.
Hi Tash, there has been progress through this week. Most items on the PC report and the independent inspectors report are being addressed this week. The painter, tiler and cleaner should be in today and my SS has indicated that there are one or two remaining items have been ordered. Handover for Monday is confirmed. Yipeee!
Woo hoo that’s so exciting!!!! So glad yours has been super easy
Do all daydreams come with the little shelves on the end of the bench?
Last question I promise 😁😬 for tonight anyway 😂 when did you send of the paperwork to the bank? I’ve been lead to believe I need to wait until they have fixed all the items on my list.
Hi Tash. My lender needed an occupation certificate before they would make the final payment. Once they had that it only took just under 48 h for funds to clear. re : shelves on island bench. No. Shelves were an upgrade that we requested.
End week 20 (23 weeks since build start date).

That's a wrap. We've got the keys and handover is done. Now the real work begins, as does the 13 week maintenance period.

Would I build with Coral Homes again? Yes.

Coral Homes' process wasn't perfect, and there remains minor imperfections to the finishes, but we never entered into this expecting perfection. Building is a complex process and despite all the science behind the engineering and materials used there remains variability in the performance of these. Some of the minor imperfections relate to choices that we made or factors that we overlooked - but we can easily live with all of them.

We are satisfied with the final product and myself and my family are looking forward to creating happy memories in our new home.

Handover done!
Brad_2477

That's a wrap. We've got the keys and handover is done. Now the real work begins, as does the 13 week maintenance period.

Coral Homes' process wasn't perfect, and there remains minor imperfections to the finishes, but we never entered into this expecting perfection. Building is a complex process and despite all the science behind the engineering and materials used there remains variability in the performance of these. Some of the minor imperfections relate to choices that we made or factors that we overlooked - but we can easily live with all of them.

We are satisfied with the final product and myself and my family are looking forward to creating happy memories in our new home.

Handover done!

Enjoy your new home, the views from your windows look amazing.
Bebbsy
Brad_2477

Handover done!

Enjoy your new home, the views from your windows look amazing.

Thx Bebbsy
Related
28/02/2024
Air-Conditioning Installers/Suppliers NSW Central Coast

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Anybody know any good and reasonably priced Air conditioning contractors/companies that could install a ducted air conditioning system in the Central Coast NSW for a small…

5/04/2024
Slab for 424 sqm house in North Kellyville NSW

Building A New House

Petercurtis You able to contact the certifier and get a copy of your structural plans, if they are not in your contract. If your home was approved via CDC then they…

22/02/2024
Latch too far from the frame to grab

Windows & Doors

The OP has gone The latch and striker are definitely not aligned but there was no point trying to help the OP understand that. Hence the reason they are no longer with us.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum