Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Smart Meter -good or bad ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Does any body know if it is compulsory to install smart meter at your new house in NSW?

If you google " smart meters radiation ", you will be surprised .

Thanks in advance.
unfortunately they are compulsory
i had to pay for new smart meter in 2010? in victoria
then in 2011? i had solar panels installed and had to "buy" another new smart meter because my original was not solar compatible
If you have a choice, there is a few things to consider. Your electricity suppliers would have a preference. I think we fall under endevor. Also if you're planning to get solar then there are some meters that can work with 2 phase or 3 phase inverters. Right now solar should be a must for all new homes. Just in the 3 months of summer I saved over 800$.

bavshan
If you have a choice, there is a few things to consider. Your electricity suppliers would have a preference. I think we fall under endevor. Also if you're planning to get solar then there are some meters that can work with 2 phase or 3 phase inverters. Right now solar should be a must for all new homes. Just in the 3 months of summer I saved over 800$.

Thanks Bavshan.

Do you have smart meter install ? We are worried about the radiation as the meter will be installed outside the bedroom wall.

We definitely consider solar power after the house built.

Would you recommend your solar power supplier?
If you google Smart Meter Radiation you would also find the Vic government website about the radiation levels, which is far less than a mobile phone (which the smart meter is probably a very basic mobile phone like device)

If you are worried though you may be able to get your builder to relocate the meter away from bedrooms?

http://www.smartmeters.vic.gov.au/safety/health
There isn't anything to worry about with regards to smart meters and "radiation" as defined by a lot of those sites. Without going too much into the science behind wireless communication, it is safe to say that smart meter communication is based on radio waves (often technologies like WiMAX ) similar to how WiFi, 4G, DVB-T television and FM radio, aircraft RADAR etc which are present around us all the time.

Radiation is really just describing the emission of energy via electromagnetic waves or moving particles. Lots of things radiate/emit radiation. Unfortunately the word radiation is often confused with the radiation of radioactive particles or ionising radiation which can cause biological damage.

Wireless communication falls into the non ionising range which does not contain enough energy to cause biological issues (but can carry Netflix or smart meter data via excited particles)

---
It is all too easy to get a .org domain (not .au though) and start a website about things being bad based on feelings rather than facts and using a lot of emotive content. One of the first sites when you google smart meter radiation is EMR Australia, which puts up a big scare campaign while also selling very expensive "radiation shielding" paints and curtains and "EMF DETECTORS" which make a fun beeping sound around electricity to scare people into fearing electricity and WiFi.

Similarly, MSG and DHMO are both often misrepresented as dangerous even though they are both perfectly safe in moderate doses, but unfortunately when you search for MSG you get a site called MSGTRUTH.ORG which is full of misinformation.

I hope this helps!
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

21/04/2024
smart or normal switches

Building A New House

Shelly switches require a paid subscription for full access to all features which is ridiulous given the lifespan of a home and if you were to sell it or buy a home with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum