Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hamptons inspired architect design with attached granny flat

Page 3 of 13
.we used Hebel power floor. How much did Nasahi cost? - $40/m2 for materials and $20/m2 for install here in Canberra.
How did you go with your attic pricing - was it reasonable? We were considering adding an attic storage space to our house as well.

amilelka
How did you go with your attic pricing - was it reasonable? We were considering adding an attic storage space to our house as well.

I’ll post the cost when the builder gets back to us. I do know the ladder system will cost $2k - he said you can get ones from Bunnings for $300, but they are quite rickety. He recently installed one in a client’s build who insisted on using the Bunnings ladder and apparently it wasn’t square with the opening or something.

Hillsbuilds
amilelka

I’ll post the cost when the builder gets back to us. I do know the ladder system will cost $2k - he said you can get ones from Bunnings for $300, but they are quite rickety. He recently installed one in a client’s build who insisted on using the Bunnings ladder and apparently it wasn’t square with the opening or something.

Am. Gumtree is your friend for attic ladders. So often for sale on there at enormous savings.
We discovered a significant issue with the windows this week.

When we first started the design process, I told the architect that I wanted double glazing and sash windows with colonial bars where possible. Architect put that in the design. However, when it came to the NatHERS energy rating, double glazing was listed in the window type but not in their corresponding U-values and SHGCs. For these the minimum values required for a pass were listed.

Unfortunately when the windows were then designed, the supplier only looked at the u-values and SHGC to determine the glass type (never mind that the CD has “All windows to be double glazed except where stated otherwise”). So lots of double glazing missing from everywhere. To make matters worse I believe the builder had used these supplier costs in his quote.

Also the supplier now tells me that double glazing may be too heavy for sash windows above a certain size.

So now we are waiting for the supplier to get back to us with the extra cost of double glazing and which sash windows will need reworking. And apparently I can’t get colonial bars on the windows with DG either.

It’s now Thursday lunchtime and the builder would like to finalise and get the window order to the supplier by tomorrow Friday so the work schedule is not held up.
Hillsbuilds
Also the supplier now tells me that double glazing may be too heavy for sash windows above a certain size.

That is a bugger about the supplier not quoting based on the specs they were given. So are the windows already made? Maybe I missed that bit in your post but I wasn't sure if the frames etc were already fabricated?

Just on the potential of the IGU being too heavy for the sash's. With our AWS windows, even if I go to our base level 'Residential 517' series awning windows, the Max. width & heights according to their spec sheets do not alter based on glazing. So they just set a max height in this case of 2060mm and max panel width of 1210mm (as long as glass thickness is <= 20mm). Maybe your window supplier do have a max. weight as well?

For comparison our 'semi-commercial' Magnum series awnings are similar at Max Height = 2100mm and Max Width = 1210mm (IGU <= 24mm).

So how big are your sash panels in general?

The other thing I guess with window frames is the actual depth and also the beading will vary depending on the glass thickness. So were you suggesting the window supplier can simply swap out single with double glazing into frames they have already fabricated?

Sorry if am off-track here, I might have read your post incorrectly
Hillsbuilds
We discovered a significant issue with the windows this week.

When we first started the design process, I told the architect that I wanted double glazing and sash windows with colonial bars where possible. Architect put that in the design. However, when it came to the NatHERS energy rating, double glazing was listed in the window type but not in their corresponding U-values and SHGCs. For these the minimum values required for a pass were listed.

Unfortunately when the windows were then designed, the supplier only looked at the u-values and SHGC to determine the glass type (never mind that the CD has “All windows to be double glazed except where stated otherwise”). So lots of double glazing missing from everywhere. To make matters worse I believe the builder had used these supplier costs in his quote.

So now we are waiting for the supplier to get back to us with the extra cost of double glazing and which sash windows will need reworking. And apparently I can’t get colonial bars on the windows with DG either.

It’s now Thursday lunchtime and the builder would like to finalise and get the window order to the supplier by tomorrow Friday so the work schedule is not held up.

Oh man. It's terrible when that happens. I think face to face meetings with window makers is the best approach. I noticed this when I was doing my windows. I couldn't get a Proper answer on the phone and when I went in it was amazing.
darb74

Fortunately the windows have not been manufactured yet. Which is why my builder would like to get the order in ASAP.

I think WRT the size of the sash windows, this can be adjusted (I hope) to accomodate the DG.

My biggest concern is the additional cost of adding DG. I’ll be very disappointed (understatement there) if we can’t have it, as this is supposed to be an energy efficient house.

Hillsbuilds
My biggest concern is the additional cost of adding DG. I’ll be very disappointed (understatement there) if we can’t have it, as this is supposed to be an energy efficient house.

My only thoughts are that if they did your schedule from U & SHGC values, then they may have spec'd Low-E glazing for the single units?. If this is the case then it won't be as big a $$ jump going to double glazing.

What type of windows are you mostly going with? Awnings?
gablesrocks

I did meet with the window supplier, albeit after the quote (which was done aeons ago!). No mention of the double glazing or lack of then. Everyone was assuming stuff I suppose - classic miscommunication.

darb74
Hillsbuilds

My only thoughts are that if they did your schedule from U & SHGC values, then they may have spec'd Low-E glazing for the single units?. If this is the case then it won't be as big a $$ jump going to double glazing.

What type of windows are you mostly going with? Awnings?

Mostly sash (double hung) windows. Which have a lesser weight tolerance I suppose - too heavy and they start to slide down!

Good news, the revised windows schedule has come back and the additional double glazing component has come in at only $9k. I say “only” but I was envisaging a LOT more! Unfortunately with the DG I’ve lost my colonial bars but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. The weight of the windows is not a problem apparently.

Meanwhile the framers are cracking on. The frame for the roof over the pool is up and it seems like a lot of roof, even with the dormer window to break up the expanse.

Looking good!
Hillsbuilds how has the rain been? It's been shocking for me. Your framing is looking gorgeous!
Hey gablesrocks, where are you up to with your build? I think guttering might be starting this week for us.

No work today on frames due to rain, but the guys haven’t missed many days at all actually! Last week I drove by thinking no one would be there as it was raining, but they were beavering away.

Some issues with our windows have meant that the order hasn’t gone through yet. Builder was wanting it in two weeks ago as it takes 4 weeks to fill. But he knows they are so crucial to get right.

PS saw the post on your thread re cutting frames onsite. Our guys are doing that too - I think with most one-off builds they would do that wouldn’t they? It’s prob easier to measure and cut onsite than prefab and have to keep going back to warehouse when tweaks are required!
Hillsbuilds you have over taken us. Sorry when you say guttering you mean....?
gablesrocks
@Hillsbuilds you have over taken us. Sorry when you say guttering you mean....?

Roof gutter
Hillsbuilds yup you over took us
has Ur metal roof gone on?
Not yet. But soon! The roofers were in this week to meet the builder (to form a plan of attack maybe??) and were earnestly pointing at things when I left.
Hillsbuilds if only this weather would stop already. We need sunshine non-stop
Related
29/03/2024
Project home builder with attached granny flat

Building A New House

Hi all, Been browsing project builders' website and saw Masterton with attached granny flat design Seeing bad reviews from masterton in this website/facebook, does…

26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum