Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom 2-storey knockdown rebuild - Canberra

Page 1 of 2
Hi all.

So we've finally bitten the bullet and decided on a KDR of our old home! It's an exciting time but we're total noobs and have found this forum to be very valuable.

We've gone with custom, 2 level design.

Our primary objectives were a 4brm home, plenty of light, storage and a spacious interior and good flow. It looks good to us, but is there anything we're missing? We also would like to site a fireplace somewhere and we probably don't need such a big terrace.

Would love to get opinions on layout. North is to the rear, block is 500sqm.

Layout looks awesome, I’ll have a closer look later but can’t see too much wrong with it atm.

Edit - Wrt fireplace I’d put it either on a 90 degree angle to the tv, where the window is in family room, or put it on the same wall as tv in living room on far left side.
Nice orientation, you’re lucky to have a rear to north block!

My only suggestion would be to reconsider the window to the pantry, as it’s west facing so may heat that room up a fair bit. Not ideal for storing foodstuffs! Same goes with the west facing window in MBR, but if it’s one of those high windows it may not be as much of an issue.

Good luck, will be following!

Good to see another Canberra build!

I think you've done a good job of capturing the orientation with that plan, although I second Hillsbuilds' concerns about those two west-facing windows . Are there any particular views that you'd like to catch as well?

I like your understairs WC (we had one in our original plan, but not in our final) - are you considering an access hatch from the laundry to access the rest of the understairs space?

I'm a bit concerned about your entry void - voids that small run the risk of ending up as (not very impressive) 'vertical tunnels', with all the disadvantages of voids with none of the advantages. Is a void something that you're really keen on?

What heating/cooling are you having, and where are the units going to be positioned?
Your plans looks great Trimega! it will surely be light filled spacious home with fantastic outdoor living too!

Agree with the comments from algernon and Hillsbuilds on the number of west faced windows, however, I can understand the kitchen window from the cooking area - they do look great in the display homes we been!

If I read your site plan correct, your block is elevated towards west, which could play to your advantage in blocking harsh westerly summer sun - if there are any trees in the neighbors’ block or a tall hedge. Otherwise consider planting some advanced bush-trees in front of the west exposed windows (although there are restrictions in the trees that can go to easements), other than that, tinted windows and perhaps external shutters where needed are also some remedial measures.

Just my 2c.

All the best to your journey ahead, we are already watching your thread,:-D as we are also hoping to start our KDR early next year.
Cheers

ligongl
https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=91829
Thanks for the comments! Some interesting points we hadn't considered and glad that it seems mostly OK.

We might need to rethink some of the west facing windows.

The void was an idea to maximise light into what otherwise could be a dark entry and to give a spacious feel. Haven't considered where the aircon unit will go - we have seen some display homes where they were right next to a bedroom and very loud.
So it's been over a year since my last post, but happy to report that demolition commenced today! They demolition team turned up and didn't waste anytime tearing the place down. It was kind of scary seeing just how easily the machine destroyed everything in its path. I managed to get some cool drone footage that I'll upload once I do some editing. They should have the rest of the building down and site cleared tomorrow. I'll be posting regular updates as the build progresses and hope to draw on the experiences of others who have also gone through the process.

https://the35thweek.blogspot.com

Visited the site again after last week's demolition. Pic from my DJI Spark drone 50m above the site

https://the35thweek.blogspot.com
keep an eye on the site work/site cut, it is an item normally builder underquote, esp. if you are relying on an allowance for the site work. Looking great! its a clean slate for a fresh start.
You need to pay particular attention to the soil moisture levels when doing a KDR.

Slab down!
Hey mate, which builder do you go with in Canberra?
Did you end up changing the plans from last year?
Josh22
Hey mate, which builder do you go with in Canberra?
Did you end up changing the plans from last year?

We went with Blackett Homes - no the plans stayed pretty much the same.
We went away for a few weeks and came to this.

Blog updated for those playing at home

Looking good so far - how have you found dealing with the builder?
Been to visit the site a few times - still only frame up but all the rooms and spaces feel smaller than we thought it would. Our project manager said it will feel bigger once the walls, ceilings and things go in - which sounds counterintuitive to us. Wouldn't it feel even smaller once everything has gone in?

Sorry, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. As I'm going to make a negative comment, & it's probably (though maybe not) too late to make changes. Plus you may not want to in any case.

While I agree with other posters, that you've gone a good job orientating the home with north facing living areas. There's one critical feature that minimises all this good work.

The north facing alfresco area!

Your north facing living areas need access to direct sunlight in winter time. Particularly in a climate like Canberra, with cold, clear winter days.

This alfresco will shade your dining area for nearly the entire day, & the living room all afternoon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It looks like you're too far along to make changes, but maybe not, if you're willing.

A north facing pergola would be more appropriate, but may not be possible at this stage. North facing clerestory windows over the alfresco (lighting the dining room) look like they wouldn't be possible either.

The only option I can see is LARGE skylights above the alfresco area, near the dining room. Either clear sky, or transparent. This will allow the dining room access to winter sunlight.

It may not be possible, or you may not be interested. Just thought I'd give you some options, as this could have a HUGE effect on the comfort of your home, particularly in winter.

I'd have a good read of this government website about designing a home for comfort & energy design. It will highlight why I feel so strongly about homes having access to northern winter sunlight,

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design
As others have noted, I'd be worried about the western windows. Particularly the western master window. Eaves are quite ineffective at shading western & eastern windows, as the sun is lower in the sky at this time of day. Western bedroom windows are particularly bad, add the room is heated up on summer afternoon, evenings. So you have any plans to counter this? I'd recommend using low-e glass on western windows, exterior vertical awnings & plantings to shade these windows.
I'd also consider a door, separating your living area from the hallway/stairway. As it stands, any heat you do gain in your living areas in winter time will be lost, upstairs, where it's not required. As the stairwell will act like a giant chimney.

A door will not only keep winter heat in the living areas, it will also limit noise and cooking smells from the rest of the home.
Appreciate the feedback! Yeah, probably too far along to do much the alfresco area. Will just have to see how it turns out. We'll look to plants to help with the west facing windows. The door suggestion is a good one that we'll look into.
Related
10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum