Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Knock Down Rebuild SE MELB with Hallbury homes

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. First time poster so please be nice. We have paid a deposit with a Hallbury Homes for our knock down rebuild. The property we have purchased settles end of September so hopefully have contract and assorted permits re demolition etc sorted by then. Being first timers though that part is all a little overwhelming. Our initial sketched plans are attached. Please have a look and let me know if there’s anything bag stands out that needs to be addressed. *** outdoor area is being extend around to the laundry and there will be an external door there***. Thanks

Have you considered orientation? Which way is north?

Hillsbuilds
Have you considered orientation? Which way is north?

The block size is rather particular so orientation is pretty much dictated by that.
We’ve got a bit of an odd shaped block too, so also familiar with limitations !

It’s a shame your garage and utilities face north, as this would be the best direction for your living areas. Any chance of flipping the design? Your current living areas facing south will be cold and dark. But at least your alfresco faces north so you’ll be able to use that in winter!

Internally I quite like the layout. The separation of MBR and secondary BR is nicely done. Mud room is a great idea and garage door leading to pantry is very convenient! Only little change I would make is to not have the small WIRs in the BR2 and 3. It won’t add much in the way of storage space, but takes a fair bit of floor space from the bedrooms themselves.

My two cents! Best of luck, and looking forward to following your build.

Thanks for the reply. The orientation also is based around current cross over and at the rear and even more importantly a gate that opens onto a large public park so that part is set in stone. However I have read similar comments on other people’s plans regarding the walk in robes so we may bring this up at our next appointment. Thanks for your time
Really nice design but not on that azimuth.
kks
Really nice design but not on that azimuth.

I had to google the word azimuth!! The fence line behind where the easement is opens onto a large park which we will use daily so the positioning of the house has a lot to do with that.
Just wondering why the gate to the park dictates the way the house faces? Did you want the shortest distance from the outdoor living to that gate?

Hillsbuilds
Just wondering why the gate to the park dictates the way the house faces? Did you want the shortest distance from the outdoor living to that gate?

Yep. We will be able to open up the gates and utilize both our backyard and the park area at the same time. so I can sit on my bum on the outside couch and watch my kids kicking the footy in the park or playing on the playground etc. okay so I’m mostly joking about sitting on my bum you you get the point.
I think it looks great. I would just change the door into the mud room into a cavity slider. That gives more room in the mud room.
Learnt the importance of azimuth/siting with my Laurence Street, Manly, unit. The most fabulous views across Sydney Harbour and out through The Heads. But what a cold, dull hole that place was with its South facing aspect! And after a year or so one hardly noticed the view........true.
Hi how did this build go? Thread seems to have stopped rather early
storewallAU
Hi how did this build go? Thread seems to have stopped rather early

was just thinking that myself......
Related
7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

21/05/2023
Knock down semi, inner west Sydney

Building A New House

Hi I live in a 100yr old semi and my neighbour added an additional floor last yr and our architect has advised that we can knock down our semi and build a free-standing…

22/09/2023
Progress Payments - Flood rebuild

General Discussion

haha a draw? didnt realise we were battling!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum