Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Dream House Cost?

Page 1 of 1
So I despise wasting everyones precious time, but in order to get an accurate or close to accurate answer, I need to be as detailed as I can, which means nearly a novels worth of writing, so before I proceed, If you are not interested in reading this a TL;DR will be included at the bottom of this post for your sanity, also please understand that I am not rich, nor famous, nor do I settle for acceptable, I also am not a Builder so please refrain from complex terms, use simpler words if you need to, My chances of building this depends on the estimated cost, if over $250,000AUD, then I have a 0% chance at getting it built, no matter how much I save up. Next I want to reduce some variables by setting some figuative constants, one the plot of land is 32m x 32m, the plot is 100% flat, the town where the plot is what some consider a low rent, medium sized town, the plot of land is in a more....newer part of town(anotherwords it’s in a part of town with a large number of newly build homes). With the variables “Set” Here is the details of my Dream house.

My dream house is a Energy Efficient, two story modern looking house with an attic and basement, each room is 100% soundproof and thermally insulated(Walls, Floor, Ceiling, Windows, ETC), my dream house is armed with state of the art burglar detection and alert systems(I’m so paranoid, I’ll pay top dollar for the best burglar stopping system residentially available), state of the art air conditioner(Why Not?), State Of The Art Fire Detection and Alert sytem, NBN FTTP(I know that connection WILL provide maximum possible speeds), 4x 5m x 5m bedrooms, all with a ensuite and walk in closet, Dining Room, Lounge Room, Family Room, Rumpus Room, Kitchen, Pantry and Laundry, a 2 car garage with Tesla wall charging, Tesla Powerwall(something like a fuse box of sorts, but without fuses, I cannot really explain it accurately) with Tesla solar pannels(inbuilt solar pannels essentially)(2 things I was unaware of prior to today), backyard Pool(nothing extravagant, just your standard family pool, rectangular of course), Patio, Barbeque Area, Balcony, Verandah, Bulletproof Glass(for the soundproof windows)(like I said, I’m paranoid about burglaries, shootings, etc), standard Driveway(I don’t see a need for a fancy Driveway), Dedicated small storage room attached to the garage, Dedicated Home office 5m x 5m x 3m, Dedicated Home Recording Studio.

I am willing to guess my dream house will cost $5 million AUD easy, but a more accurate number would be appreciated.

Thank You For Your Time

TL;DR: My Dream House has everything I would ever want in a house of my own.
Are you serious?
2 story with attic and basement (so potentially 4 story??)
4 massive bedrooms with WIR and ensuite and about 6 more living areas...
I’d be thinking about 600-700m2 at about $2500k/m2 so at least 1.5-2million.
Pool around 80k

I think you’ll get a bit of change from 5million....
Klueless1993
I am not rich, nor famous, nor do I settle for acceptable...if over $250,000AUD, then I have a 0% chance at getting it built, no matter how much I save up.

My Dream House has everything I would ever want in a house of my own.

You have not really provided enough information to get an accurate figure between $250K and $5M, but what I can deduce is that your house will be large, your rooms will be large and you have luxury inclusions throughout. Therefore, the per-metre cost is going to be high.

When we started with our architect he gave us a "reality check" spreadsheet to complete, and it certainly conditioned our thinking from that point forward. Perhaps you might want to start by doing something similar by reading this:

https://www.**.com.au/article/estimating_the_costs_of_your_build
arcadelt
Klueless1993
I am not rich, nor famous, nor do I settle for acceptable...if over $250,000AUD, then I have a 0% chance at getting it built, no matter how much I save up.

My Dream House has everything I would ever want in a house of my own.

You have not really provided enough information to get an accurate figure between $250K and $5M, but what I can deduce is that your house will be large, your rooms will be large and you have luxury inclusions throughout. Therefore, the per-metre cost is going to be high.

When we started with our architect he gave us a "reality check" spreadsheet to complete, and it certainly conditioned our thinking from that point forward. Perhaps you might want to start by doing something similar by reading this:

https://www.**.com.au/article/estimating_the_costs_of_your_build

I for some reason cannot access that link on my mobile
Klueless1993
I for some reason cannot access that link on my mobile

That's because either the HomeOne website or TapaTalk does like the word or site "**". Anyway, let’s see if this works.
arcadelt
That's because either the HomeOne website or TapaTalk does like the word or site "**". Anyway, let’s see if this works.

Well, that was a fail, so how about this way:

https://bit.ly/2J3JXMd
arcadelt
so how about this way:

Success...at least at my end.
Cheeky buggers!
$250k will get you a single storey unfortunately, with a very modest fitout. You're probably looking towards the 1.5m-2m mark as mentioned earlier, but the sky's the limit when it comes to fitouts!

They don't sell the Tesla solar roof tiles here yet, but a powerwall and 5.6kw installation will "only" set you back $13-15k.
So you want an energy efficient house, how about a sustainable house? A house that size won't be sustainable. Google "embodied energy". There will be a lot of energy used to manufacture & transport all the materials used to build this very large house.
homeone
Cheeky buggers!

Indeed
Hmm. Looks like Mr. Klueless1993 is not only a young dreamer, but has just put everything he would learn on the Internet or from the magazines about rock star/Hollywood houses in one post, multiplied with a strong degree of paranoia of some sort.

If he is talking about Rock Star house, he should be probably considering building it in a decent and safe suburb, most probably beach facing or at least with a decent view and land value index, otherwise, it will be a bit off the mark - building a an expensive luxury house in a low value suburb is a recipe for trouble with close-to-zero odds and low resell value. If he doesn't have most of this $5M in cash, than I foresee troubles with financing this build at the first place.

But this is something a good respected architect and/or luxury house builder would tell him in the first instance, anyway.

In addition, he should be also considering not only how much will it cost to build such a house, but also how much will it cost to support and maintain one. Generally, houses of such proportions require full time staff to maintain them in addition to maintaining a lifestyle of their owners.

He can easily end up with $500K being spent on on custom made bulletproof windows + frames alone and I doubt that any sane banker will be happy to "sponsor" those. There is absolutely no need in those if he is not a drug lord of some sort or haven't stole these $5M of yours from the mob. In that case, he would also need a proper bullet proof car and a team of body guards to match.

To conclude, I strongly recommend Mr Klueless to start the discussion of his dream house with some good psychotherapist, he would probably be able to save few millions right after few sessions.
Related
23/04/2024
Two storey house construction cost

Building A New House

The price you're seeing for a high-spec 2-storey home in Perth sounds steep, but unfortunately, it's kind of the norm these…

28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum