Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building new home

Page 1 of 1
Im thinking of building with Hickabothum homes. Ive picked out a house I like. Not going to add or change anything. How much extra will I need from that price. Am I looking at $15,000-- $20,000 extra with all the building costs etc...
Thanks
lynnlee
Is it a real display house that's built or a computer rendered Image of a house?
Alternate Elevations costs
points to consider
1. Display homes are actually built by the builder & will have complete drawings, Engineering, Material Quants & Costs
2. Ask to go physically through the actual home
3.Ask for the owners contact details
4. Rendered Images are 3D Models Made to look like display homes, check for 1
5. If you don't make too many changes then the price should be fairly accurate at the time of display building..make sure the build is current
6. The display build price is also subject to changes in site works costs & Engineering,etc
hth
Thankyou. Its a display home built by hickabothams. The house is $80,000. Shall I allow $20,000 for etc
Does the site works usually cost alot. The land is flat at mount compass
$80,000 display home, is it a caravan? 😁
Ha ha. My father passed away. Its the only way I can do it. With the money he left. Me. At least its a start.
Congrats for building.

We wanted the design like the home on display and even though they said yes, it was not 100% same. Because you will make changes or they will "conveniently" omit things on the plan.

A classic for us was the front wall lighting that was on the display home but not on the plans presented to us. We assumed it was. Big mistake.

If you are happy with a particular room then note everything down to the measurements....eg number of powerpoints and where they are located and distance from wall and floor. Also make sure that wall light switches are all fed through conduits!!! Because nowadays the cheap way is to cut into the wall and cement the cables in. This then limits if you want to add an extra switch later on.

I can go on.

If you have any shower recesses in the walls make sure you stipulate that the sizes are finished dimensions not unfinished dimensions. Trust me. We are fighting them with this.

Stipulate that the downpipes are on the corners and ends of the gutters also add extra....they will go for the minimum as per standards. Which after some rain they will overflow (happening to us now).

You have to make it black and white. Everything. Assume nothing and assume they are dumb.

Every meeting you have with builder write down everything you want changing or adding. Then only discuss those and give them a copy of that list. Also then follow up with an email confirming the meeting you had with XYZ you discussed this and attach the same paperwork.

During our plan some things discussed with one person was not transferred to the next (we had 3 diff project managers over 6 months planning due to quitting, marriage and baby!. After all done "they have no record" of those changes or additions we discussed.

So cross check everything. Don't be forced into signing and commencing when they are ready. Only when you are ready.

I can go on and on.

But enjoy the experience!!!

Keep us informed.

Michaelyoni64 did you build with Hickinbotham, if so which design?
michaelyoni64
Congrats for building.

We wanted the design like the home on display and even though they said yes, it was not 100% same. Because you will make changes or they will "conveniently" omit things on the plan.

A classic for us was the front wall lighting that was on the display home but not on the plans presented to us. We assumed it was. Big mistake.

If you are happy with a particular room then note everything down to the measurements....eg number of powerpoints and where they are located and distance from wall and floor. Also make sure that wall light switches are all fed through conduits!!! Because nowadays the cheap way is to cut into the wall and cement the cables in. This then limits if you want to add an extra switch later on.

I can go on.

If you have any shower recesses in the walls make sure you stipulate that the sizes are finished dimensions not unfinished dimensions. Trust me. We are fighting them with this.

Stipulate that the downpipes are on the corners and ends of the gutters also add extra....they will go for the minimum as per standards. Which after some rain they will overflow (happening to us now).

You have to make it black and white. Everything. Assume nothing and assume they are dumb.

Every meeting you have with builder write down everything you want changing or adding. Then only discuss those and give them a copy of that list. Also then follow up with an email confirming the meeting you had with XYZ you discussed this and attach the same paperwork.

During our plan some things discussed with one person was not transferred to the next (we had 3 diff project managers over 6 months planning due to quitting, marriage and baby!. After all done "they have no record" of those changes or additions we discussed.

So cross check everything. Don't be forced into signing and commencing when they are ready. Only when you are ready.

I can go on and on.

But enjoy the experience!!!

Keep us informed.

Thankyou for your input. I have just brought the block after thinking a while about it. I will do as you have advised. Thankyou very much
No. Homezone.

We have had our 6month inspection. Found more problems and they have literally given me the bird..

Lynnly.... make sure you are specific at anything you want to be at a certain size. Even to the point of giving a tolerance.

michaelyoni64

Builders position downpipes at the end of walls for aesthetics, not good design.

A hipped roof has small roof areas at the end of walls. When downpipes are positioned at the end of walls (as most are), water flowing off the largest roof area away from the downpipes has a longer run than if the downpipe was positioned close to the largest roof surface area, the reason why most overflows not caused by blockages happen away from the downpipes.

Corners also slow down the flow, something that isn't factored for compliance.

Downpipes are also best not fitted to the end of a gutter because the slope will always promote sediment and decaying organic matter building up in the short length of gutter between the downpipe's pop and the gutter's end cap. Metal is positive charged whereas sediment is negatively charged which is what promotes rusting.

Compliance does not guarantee good design.
Related
16/08/2023
QS fees for building a new home

General Discussion

Is it just a report written to give to the bank initially and it is based on what and how your payments are made up for, or is it a full service where they go out and…

8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

19/08/2023
New home

Building A New House

Skjm You might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKx-bsOr2jg If that link doesn't work go to youtube and search for Zac Homes ACA I am really…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum