Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Internal wall thickness

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am confused with different builders having different internal wall thickness.. most of them seem to have 90mm and few have 100mm upto 120mm.

Would this have influence on the structural strength or thermal insulation?

Is it a correct assuption to think 120mm internal wall thickness is superior to that of 90mm or would there be any other things to consider.

Thanks,
Shi
Structural strength does not matter for internal walls as long as they are non-load-bearing.
It is up to you to decide how thick you want to go, but 70 and 90 mm are common thickness for the wood studs + you should be adding at least 10+ mm gyprock on each side.

Thermal/acoustic insulation only matters when you put something inside to insulate (e.g. sound/thermal batts), otherwise doesn't matter unless you are talking about solid e.g. brick walls.

Thicker walls means less room space, what is your main rationale for the thicker internal walls?
I think it is also dependant on what material, eg: The outside of my steel frame was 90mm and the internal was 75mm. (or something to that nature)
Related
15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

13/01/2024
Damp Internal Wall

General Discussion

You can use hairdryer

26/02/2024
Insulation for Internal wall, between floors

Building A New House

Sorry, don't know costs, but there are a couple of very important principles you need to get right (and now) .... (1) never agree to any "upgrade" unless you first know…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum