Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stacker door installed wrong direction

Page 1 of 1
Hi people, hoping to get some handy advice.

Basically we missed what direction the stacker door opened and it's unfortunately been installed with the door opening from where the furniture would be.

Here's the display home (what we like)

And this is how they installed it

Builder said they won't do anything about it because it's to the plan (fair enough). Any ideas? Eg. Sell the old one and get a new one installed, etc
Cellaraso
Any ideas?

Do you know who the manufacturer was? Perhaps ask them if it can be reconfigured in situ? Maybe the fixed leaf/pane could be made to slide and the first slider fixed, with the mechanism and hardware swapped accordingly. It might leave a hole where the handle currently is, but looks like timber, so that could be patched and the whole lot painted (sorry if you wanted to keep the natural timber look).
I agree with arcadelt, good advice
I would see what they could do to reconfigure. May sound a bit weird, but if the inside and outside look the same, could you get the whole thing taken out and put in backwards.
Are you putting screens on them?

Our plans showed our laundry door sliding the wrong way with the opening where the washing machine is. I made them change the plans before we signed. I was assured that they would never install this way, but I wasn't taking the chance.
arcadelt
Cellaraso
Any ideas?

Do you know who the manufacturer was? Perhaps ask them if it can be reconfigured in situ? Maybe the fixed leaf/pane could be made to slide and the first slider fixed, with the mechanism and hardware swapped accordingly. It might leave a hole where the handle currently is, but looks like timber, so that could be patched and the whole lot painted (sorry if you wanted to keep the natural timber look).

I just looked at my stacker door, the way the tracks are would make this solution impossible and I’d assume the same for OP.
bestspecials
I would see what they could do to reconfigure. May sound a bit weird, but if the inside and outside look the same, could you get the whole thing taken out and put in backwards.
Are you putting screens on them?

Our plans showed our laundry door sliding the wrong way with the opening where the washing machine is. I made them change the plans before we signed. I was assured that they would never install this way, but I wasn't taking the chance.

Again going by mine that I’m looking at now, this I think possible but the tracks would be opposite to what they are supposed to be (maybe void warranty??) and the handle being changed would prevent door from closing to a flush position, it would stick out slightly. May or may not bother OP.

2 things though, why the display is configured that way (correctly) and yet the builder/draftsman drew it opposite who knows, and secondly how it wasn’t picked up by the owner whilst perusing plans???
gillybean
....why the display is configured that way (correctly) and yet the builder/draftsman drew it opposite who knows...

Good question. Worth asking the company if it wasn’t specified by the owner.

gillybean
... how it wasn’t picked up by the owner whilst perusing plans???

Different people - different levels of attention to detail. This is often the case for the employment of a seperate project manager.
Cellaraso

Builder said they won't do anything about it because it's to the plan (fair enough). Any ideas? Eg. Sell the old one and get a new one installed, etc

If you’re in the position to be able to afford to bite the bullet and reinstall a new one, I think do that.

Try to negotiate with the builder, see if he could use the current one on another build, if not if he would just charge cost price on a new one, no margin and just pay cash for the labour cost. You keep the old one and sell it to recoup some costs.

Use the fact that yeah whilst you missed the detail on the plan of the direction of doors, why would they have the doors on the display the way they did and then put them opposite on your build. The more I think about it the more I think they should be taking more responsibility for this. Good luck.
We missed the direction of our stacker door too, fortunately our contract person pointed it out during our contract signing appointment. Similarly, our plans showed our shower door opening opposite to the display, in a manner that was impossible given the presence of the vanity. Bit of a mystery as to why things go awry.
I am in a similar situation, how did you get around fixing this stacker door?

quote="Cellaraso"]Hi people, hoping to get some handy advice.

Basically we missed what direction the stacker door opened and it's unfortunately been installed with the door opening from where the furniture would be.

Here's the display home (what we like)

And this is how they installed it

Builder said they won't do anything about it because it's to the plan (fair enough). Any ideas? Eg. Sell the old one and get a new one installed, etc[/quote]
arcadelt has some good advise! Otherwise a new install?
gillybean
Try to negotiate with the builder, see if he could use the current one on another build, if not if he would just charge cost price on a new one, no margin and just pay cash for the labour cost. You keep the old one and sell it to recoup some costs.

Their obligation is to build to plan and specification. They've met this obligation in relation to the doors. The builder never come to the party on this one. Its a lost argument before even being started.
Related
11/10/2023
Stacker door thresholds

Windows & Doors

Sure looks like the type of track that I fitted to my house. My supplier said that the underside has a tray which drains to the front. They cut vertical slots in it. So as…

4/08/2023
Floor Joist direction given by Structural Engineering

Owner Builder Forum

Assuming you've modelled the TB8, TB10, TB12, TB2 & J1 joists/LVLs there, it appears as per drawing to me. There maybe should be an additional J1 between TB10 and T12 if…

5/09/2023
Sliding doors direction

General Discussion

Pls help! The black marks show where our outdoor entertaining area would be along side of house as we have an irregular backyard and want to make use of the side as…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum