Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Precise placement of steel pole bolts into concrete footings

Page 1 of 1
Hi. This is my first post, so thanks for reading and contributing.
I will be starting an owner build using the Ezy Homes system soon. This system uses a steel structure - steel I beams as verticals then c profile bearers,joists etc. It sema great system.
Since my site slopes from front to back I have imagined a system of cables and diagonal support brackets to pull the steel poles into their vertical position.
My question relates to the precise positioning of the bolts - to be positioned with resin products after footing curing - over this steeply sloping site.
What principals/tricks and measurement tools can you recommend for ensuring that each row of poles is straight and square. How would you recommend ensuring the square when the poles are of different heights and those at the bottom of the slope being 5 meteres or more lower than those at the front?
What suggestions do you have for measuring the diagonal to ensure square?
Remember that measuring from the corner at the top of the site I will be looking horizontally at a spot some 5 metres from the ground on the lower diagonal pole.
I hope you understand my dilemma.
Twoblues welcome to the forum
LOL easy build...try difficult build..
Search Trimble/Sketchup-> 3D BIM design -> prefab on site-> temporary supports for erection->major support components cast-in-situ
Unfortunately, 3D Position & measuring technology for housing is very expensive
more info required please post back with a rough sketches & photos hth
StructuralBIMGuy
@Twoblues welcome to the forum
LOL easy build...try difficult build..
Search Trimble/Sketchup-> 3D BIM design -> prefab on site-> temporary supports for erection->major support components cast-in-situ
Unfortunately, 3D Position & measuring technology for housing is very expensive
more info required please post back with a rough sketches & photos hth

Lol... thanks Structural Guy.
The EzyHomes team have a rigging team who will erect the superstructure, install Colourbond roofing and place yellow tongue flooring in a week for a pretty reasonable cost. So what I may find very difficult to do (perhaps make that impossible) may never need to happen.
As is often the case when doing an owner build I cannot help but think through each stage, break it down and imagine how I could do it. This is the case now where I am considering how I can attempt to position these structural elements accurately.
The theory may prove to be an academic exercise but it sure is fun to work it out!
Since posting I have discovered the existence of laser measurement tools with which you can measure the horizontal distance by using a device with a tilt sensor and pythagorean theory. With some dummy I beams it is feasible to position the lower corner 'dummys' using a string line and measuring tool then use the pythagorean mode on the laser meter to measure and position upper 'dummys' at the diagonal to ensure squareness.
Good 'ol fashioned string lines and an accurate measuring device (and an ability to read plans and would help) would be sufficient to position the remaining vertical columns.
How does this sound? Or does it send a shiver down your spine??
Let me know where I can send plans....
Oh.... and thanks a million for contributing!
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

20/11/2023
Bearer & Joist/Pole Home Construction Cost

Building A New House

Hi Mrboh Just wondering if you have any BAL or flame zone issues on your block, as getting compliance with BAL requirements whilst doing bearers and joists is tough. Not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum