Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Independent Building Inspector

Page 1 of 3
I am after any recommendations for Independent Building Inspectors in the Melbourne Metro (outer eastern suburbs) area that we can engage to look after our build that will commence in the coming months.

Also, when should we engage an Inspector - should they be involved from the very first stage of the bulid?

Roughly what do they cost for the duration of the project?

Any advice and recommendations for who to engage would be greatly appreciated - we are first time builders!
Darbecca and Houspec are the two big ones, youre looking at a bit over $2k for all stages.
blackcat20
Darbecca and Houspec are the two big ones, youre looking at a bit over $2k for all stages.

Thanks Blackcat20. I will check both of these out. Something I hadn't really thought of until now, but from reading some of the topics/posts on here, sounds like it is something you can't afford not to have!

I have read through some of your posts and see that you have had a frustrating wait for your build to start.... good luck with getting your permits through soon! I guess we are at the start of the frustrating pre construction journey. Land is titling in a couple of weeks and Metricon are currently doing our drawings ahead of our Prelim Contract appointment.
shokel1975
blackcat20

Thanks Blackcat20. I will check both of these out. Something I hadn't really thought of until now, but from reading some of the topics/posts on here, sounds like it is something you can't afford not to have!

I have read through some of your posts and see that you have had a frustrating wait for your build to start.... good luck with getting your permits through soon! I guess we are at the start of the frustrating pre construction journey. Land is titling in a couple of weeks and Metricon are currently doing our drawings ahead of our Prelim Contract appointment.

Yes its been a frustrating few months. Housepec keep checking in and I keep having to say "no start date yet" which is a real pain. Hopefully it will all be worth it.

I'd never though of using an inspector till I read the forum, and I think its money well spent.
Who is the "Independent" inspector you've chosen with your builder? As your question on when you should engage them, indicates you've already chosen one with your builder?
We haven't chosen an Inspector yet. I have only just started looking into it, hence my post asking for recommendations. I don't think I would engage one through my builder as part of the process is to find any issues that the builder has not already identified. I think going independent is definitely best. I want them to work for me, not the builder.
shokel1975
We haven't chosen an Inspector yet. I have only just started looking into it, hence my post asking for recommendations. I don't think I would engage one through my builder as part of the process is to find any issues that the builder has not already identified. I think going independent is definitely best. I want them to work for me, not the builder.
I would check out building experts web site, he's has good has you get, and you know your getting the owner, good luck.

Thanks Joker, will check them out.
shokel1975

Yeah, this is where the industry is a rort. I see you're with Metricon and in VIC, so if you're in Metro area you've already been 'forced' to choose "Checkpoint" as your "Building Surveyor" which by the letter of the law should be acting in the same capacity as a separate "independent" inspector you're looking to engage.

The bit that fails the client in this industry rort is this part of the Building Surveyors list of responsibilities:

The level of which the legally mandated surveyor has to conduct building inspections is where it's not forced (there is a minimum), listed or within the clients best interest. The need to pay someone to check the area that you've already paid for (within your build cost to Metricon) is where both parties don't care to fix, as they all get their money and the end client pays.
....so are you saying we can’t appoint our own inspector? I’m getting confused! At what stage should we get in touch with an inspector to oversee the job on our behalf? surely M can’t stop us doing that?
Yes you can appoint your own. But you also have one appointed through the builder, though their independence is a bit questionable.
blackcat20
Yes you can appoint your own. But you also have one appointed through the builder, though their independence is a bit questionable.

Thanks, that’s a relief. I don’t think I would trust one appointed by M.
Yep that’s what I’m worried about. Will def appoint our own. Thanks fedup1
Hi shokel1975,

I'm planning on going with Darbecca after all the reviews on this site. Small price to pay for peace of mind and I understand that you can ask them to inspect as many times as you like. Before each payment for example. I believe they give a discount for multiple visits.
shokel1975
....so are you saying we can’t appoint our own inspector? I’m getting confused! At what stage should we get in touch with an inspector to oversee the job on our behalf? surely M can’t stop us doing that?

I think you are getting confused between a Building Surveyor and a private building inspector. I think some of the builders tend to push their own preferred building surveyor whose responsibility is to get the permit and also the occupancy certificate alongwith inspecting the progress. For example Group four.

Private building inspector is the one which you would engage to do inspections on your behalf which may be in addition to the builder preferred building surveyor. Teams like Darbecca are private building inspectors who would review the inspections on your behalf.

So overall both building surveyor and building inspectors can work on the project.

I hope I have not confused you further.
r_13
Hi shokel1975,

I'm planning on going with Darbecca after all the reviews on this site. Small price to pay for peace of mind and I understand that you can ask them to inspect as many times as you like. Before each payment for example. I believe they give a discount for multiple visits.

I liked their website and thought I might go with them pending reviews found. Thanks r_13 - that gives me some piece of mind 😀
Ozshaz
shokel1975

I think you are getting confused between a Building Surveyor and a private building inspector. I think some of the builders tend to push their own preferred building surveyor whose responsibility is to get the permit and also the occupancy certificate alongwith inspecting the progress. For example Group four.

Private building inspector is the one which you would engage to do inspections on your behalf which may be in addition to the builder preferred building surveyor. Teams like Darbecca are private building inspectors who would review the inspections on your behalf.

So overall both building surveyor and building inspectors can work on the project.

I hope I have not confused you further.

Yes ozshaz, its def an inspector I want. Thank you 😀
You don't necessarily need a licence to call yourself a Building Inspector
You do if you are a Building Surveyor Or Structural Engineer
Difference between building surveyor/building inspector here hth
StructuralBIMGuy
You don't necessarily need a licence to call yourself a Building Inspector
You do if you are a Building Surveyor Or Structural Engineer

Actually Queensland is the only state or territory that regulates the provision of engineering services, though Victoria has just introduced a bill to parliament that will introduce a similar scheme.

The rest of the Australia is a bit of the wild west unfortunately.
shokel1975
blackcat20

Thanks, that’s a relief. I don’t think I would trust one appointed by M.

This is where it's a little muddy, legally you have to have a Building Surveyor that is independent from the builder. This was legislation that was introduced. But volume builders 'force' you to use their preferred surveyor and sign over the legal right for them to manage that relationship. A legally appointed surveyor will handle things like building permits and such, but they are also meant to perform checks that many people pay an additional building surveyor/inspector to do.

Though with Metricon you can appoint your own fully independent surveyor, they'll no longer pay for the service or communicate with whoever you choose (even if it's the same company they prefer). You'll have to organize your own building permits, etc. So they defacto force you to use Checkpoint as your building surveyor. You would have signed that document if you're at the final stages of your contract.

Now the big issue is within the industry, is that most people aren't aware that the legally appointed independent surveyor is meant to do all the things others pay an additional service like "Darbecca" to do. But the VBA doesn't specify that level of detail in their legal requirements, the volume builders don't care and only want you to use a service that will have their best interest and the 'surveyor' industry doesn't care that you pay both Checkpoint and the likes of Darbecca to perform the same job. Everyone gets their money and you get to pay twice, or additionally.

So your current most likely scenario, is that you have filed out a form from Metricon called "Appointment of Building Surveyor" and consented for Metricon to act as your agent and deal with Checkpoint. Now checkpoint is meant to check to key inspections and check for building defects. Now this is where you are now forced to hire an additional inspector to check on the things Checkpoint are checking, as they are only legally need to check on 3-4 stages of the build and not to the level of any client wants. You'll also not get any direct reports or be consulted or informed when Checkpoint are performing any of the 'independent' activity on your behalf. I've had to fight to get tentative notice that I might get access to my reports when they check them.

The VBA needs to shift the rights back to the clients, and within the spirit of the law give the power back to the clients.

Oh and finally as they separate additional independent inspector isn't a legal requirement, Metricon isn't forced to deal with them and you'll need to chase them to ensure you're available for key check points. As they only have to have Checkpoint sigh off before they can proceed and start the timer on any required payment.
Related
9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum