Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Which Master Bedroom - help me pick!

Page 2 of 3
Agent_009
Hi everyone

We have 6 master bedroom designs. Can you please let me know which one you think is the best? Don't let cost be a factor, just let me know which is the one you prefer if you could have any! Thanks everyone

Master Bedroom 1
This is the smallest and probably most simplistic.

Master Bedroom 2
This one removes the bath (which we will probably hardly ever use) and also separates the basins for a "his and her" feel. The toilet moves to the front and the shower becomes a "walk in shower" with no frames at all. The shower has a bench and two shower heads from the ceiling.

Master Bedroom 3
The bedroom becomes much bigger with this option and the walk in robe moves to the left and becomes a much bigger robe. Again, there is no bath and the shower and toilet are hidden behind the basins (no door on toilet). The shower, despite the picture, would be "walk in shower" with no frames at all. The shower would have two shower heads from the ceiling and a bench if there is room.

Master Bedroom 4
The ensuite remains the same as number 3 in this one. However the bedroom moves to the far left and walk in robes move to the middle with "his and her" walk in robes....walking through both of these lead to the ensuite. When you enter the master you are presented with a nice dresser/mirror...somewhere to sit and do your hair and keep jewellery etc. This is the second biggest master suite out of the 5.

Master Bedroom 5
This is the biggest ensuite and incorporates a similar design to number 4. The difference being it has a free standing bath in the ensuite and "his and her" basins". The toilet has a door and the shower would be a semi-frameless shower with two shower heads.

Master Bedroom 6
Walk in robe moves behind bed and the ensuite becomes more closed in with walls.

Thanks guys!!!! If you have any ideas or tweaks on any of them, please let me know as well.

Go with the Option 6 if you can fit that in your plan
Agent_009
Thanks gillybean and Rocchet.

I'll speak to my wife around the door on the WIR. We thought this may make the room seem smaller? But we will definitely consider this. Actually, a sliding barn door that could be left open most of the time may be the best option.

Rocchet - Terrible Feng Shui doesn't really bother us but I guess it's a good point of the bed facing the ensuite. Do you think the bed layout in one of these is better?

Yes I would definitely have this one. With this layout I wouldn’t even worry about a door to the ensuite. We have an open space to our ensuite thinking we would put glass doors at a later stage but I quite like it now. (Although definitely to the side of the room rather than the bottom of the bed) Besides you might want room to put a tv there (not sure where Feng Shui stands on that but it was a must for the hubby lol)

Hmm maybe I should put the bed on the other wall in front of the window. Then a tv can go on the wall near the bedroom door
There’s a wall next to the window you could put the tv. Keep the bed by the door. Don’t make the tv the main focus of your bedroom!

Either way, the building layout is good. Playing around with furniture is part of the fun once you move in.

Hillsbuilds
There’s a wall next to the window you could put the tv. Keep the bed by the door. Don’t make the tv the main focus of your bedroom!

If the bed stays at the door then the tv will be the focus. It will be the first thing seen upon entering. Bedroom design 101 - Always place the bed so the bed head is on the opposite wall of the doorway, or if that not possible then on the 90 degree wall from the doorway. If one must have a tv in the master bedroom (sad I think) then if it’s on the same wall as the doorway at least it won’t be the first thing seen and the bed can be the rightful main focus.
Here is another variation to add to the list. Powder room has cavity slider. If the powder room does not need to be so long you may consider shortening it and putting in a little linen cupboard or other storage area.

There is also a door on the ensuite to keep the steam away from the WIR plus if someone needs to shower early they will not wake the other party. You could even consider a cavity slider on the entry to the WIR - two doors between bedroom and ensuite will really keep the shower noise away from a sleeping partner

Double shower drawn with rain showers from the ceiling. Cost a little more but are way cool.

Good luck with the choice!

Thanks for the good ideas pbwhi0.

Now rain shower...I've never heard of that. Tell me more!
gillybean
Hillsbuilds

If the bed stays at the door then the tv will be the focus. It will be the first thing seen upon entering. Bedroom design 101 - Always place the bed so the bed head is on the opposite wall of the doorway, or if that not possible then on the 90 degree wall from the doorway. If one must have a tv in the master bedroom (sad I think) then if it’s on the same wall as the doorway at least it won’t be the first thing seen and the bed can be the rightful main focus.

True. I was thinking more of the tv being a main focus from the POV of the bed. Also thinking the tv in the corner would most likely be a smaller one than one on the larger wall by the door. I don’t believe in tvs in MBRs either but I know lots of people like them there, which fine of course.

I agree with avoiding tv in main bedroom if you can. My hubby works nights and has got into the habit of falling asleep in front of the tv in the day. Now he can’t sleep without it. We’re trying this so he can fall asleep in bed rather than recliner of cinema room (he’s getting older now and he’s not as limber as he used to be lol)
Ps. I’m personally not a huge fan of sliders on main toilets. My parents had this and the sound filters through quite a bit and the locking mechanisms on them can be a bit tricky.

Thanks Rocchet. Good feedback on the slider. I was hoping there was more soundproof ones with easy locks these days
Hmm my thoughts

- First mistake is 50/50 his and hers. its more 30/70 his hers in read life.... they invade and take over
- Change the direction of the powder room door so it opens more openly
- Maybe stack the his and hers so its one whole area. This way theres a clear walk way by the windows
- If you swap the WC and shower the WC is closer to the window and may have better ventilation
- not show in picture but swap around the toilet and basin in the powder so the bowl is not as visible from the outside

If you need more room infront of the vanity maybe give up some of the wardrobe space... put in a wall and a cavity sliding door to close off the ensuite. This layout allows you to install handing rails along this new fake wall.

maybe interchange WC and shower depending if you are frosting the smaller window or not (for privacy)
So many great ideas!

Agent_009
Thanks Rocchet. Good feedback on the slider. I was hoping there was more soundproof ones with easy locks these days

You could use solid core doors which I believe are more soundproof than the hollow core. I was told though that solid core sliders greater than the standard 2100 are significantly more expensive and are more prone to warping because of the weight.

Thanks gummz/Hillsbuilds. Who would have thought that one master bedroom could have so many different options haha.

I have shown all options to the wife and we both like where the shower and toilet is currently. That is because both are private (toilet has a door and shower hidden behind vanity). Plus the shower behind the vanity gives you a section to dry off before entering the main part of the ensuite.

We also like the his and hers separated as we feel it will make the room feel bigger with the walkway in the middle...and then we can also arrange our clothes however we want. The powder room door with cavity I have changed back to my original way. The cavity door option, whilst a great idea, may not be practical for a powder room. I have switched the toilet and basin around though which was a great idea from gummz. So this is the current room:

Or this one:

I like the first of the two most recent options but I may be biased because of the way my Master/WIR is designed:

Or how about this? Added a bath in as it may be nice from time to time.

The ensuite is to the far right of the house and it sticks out further from the other rooms. This allows for the window in the bathroom which doesnt require any frosting.
Hey agent,

The last option is great with the separation but if you put in highlight windows so you can put your bed under the window it makes the bedroom feel like a bat cave. We have that now and it annoys the hell out of me.

I really like the option with the Hollywood robe

Here are a couple of master bedrooms that are functional with a powder room backing on to them.

Plantation Retreat 33

Metricon Bayville 44
Bayville ensuite pic

Metricon Botanica 36, this one is on display at Coomera Retreat and is stunning

This is a pic of the Botanica ensuite.

Have fun with the planning Agent, your ideas are fantastic

Related
29/01/2024
Conveyancer didn't pick up an overland flow path

Buying Land

You may still have a case, but your next step is to speak to a lawyer.

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum