Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Metricon Glendale 42 Limited Edition in Melbourne

Page 30 of 34
Plantation shutters installed today ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Hi Shokel, would like to understand if the Mirror that you have put in your Powder room is the one that Metricon supplied or did you get it changed to suit your requirements. Thanks.
Articulate
Hi Shokel, would like to understand if the Mirror that you have put in your Powder room is the one that Metricon supplied or did you get it changed to suit your requirements. Thanks.

Hi articulate, We changed the size of all our mirrors to be the same as Metriconโ€™s display home of the Glendale 42 at Rockbank, Vic. So, the mirror in the bathroom was made bigger to extend over the bath, en-suite mirror was made larger and the powder room mirror made smaller to showcase the feature tiles. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Hi Shokel, thanks for your response. We are building Glendale with Metricon. Would you have some tips for us on items relating to the structural integrity of the home. Any Do's and Don't will also be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Articulate
Hi Shokel, thanks for your response. We are building Glendale with Metricon. Would you have some tips for us on items relating to the structural integrity of the home. Any Do's and Don't will also be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

How far along are you and where are you building? There is nothing specific I can mention regarding structural integrity... but I will say: check and double check everything to ensure it is all correct. Both in the plans of you are still at admin stage, and with the build. Lots of mistakes tend to happen.
Thanks Shokel, we are building in Geelong and are currently in the process of finalizing the estimate. All cosmetic items can be looked at later if needed, i.e., post handover. However, there will be some things that we have just one chance to get it right and that is during construction. It is these items that we are most concerned about and want to get it right first time. Any suggestions please...
I definitely recommend an independent inspector for all stages of the build. That will take any stress out of if for you. They will pick up on anything that is of concern.
Thanks Shokel, my query was more in relation to structural items for example double glazing, sarking, sisalation, eaves, protective concrete apron, waterproofing all wet areas, etc.....Would you please be able to advise if there are any other items of this nature that we should be considering for our home? Thanks.
Articulate
Thanks Shokel, my query was more in relation to structural items for example double glazing, sarking, sisalation, eaves, protective concrete apron, waterproofing all wet areas, etc.....Would you please be able to advise if there are any other items of this nature that we should be considering for our home? Thanks.
Waterproofing for wet areas is standard, you'll be given th certificate at handover.
I can definitely recommend eaves all around, sarking and double glazing. They all improve the insulation qualities of your home.

blackcat20
Articulate
Waterproofing for wet areas is standard, you'll be given th certificate at handover.
I can definitely recommend eaves all around, sarking and double glazing. They all improve the insulation qualities of your home.

I agree with blackcat20. All those items will improve efficiency. I love our double glazing. 4 degrees overnight and our rooms donโ€™t drop below 16 degrees by morning. Personally I would never build without eaves, as I think it looks awful. We went with a colorbond roof therefore had to have sarking. I donโ€™t know much about it though.
Drew01
looking great - make sure that you inspect the brickwork before the brickies leave - the Moonshadow is a film face brick - i.e. it is a painted finish.

If they've chipped them while laying them, they have to be fixed with touch-up paint or replaced, and it's heaps easier to get them replaced while they are still there

Hi Drew01 would you know if it is ok to use film face brick i.e. a painted finish brick? What are the disadvantage of using this over brick which are coloured throughout? I am finding darker bricks like this, they mostly all painted like Austral Matallix Graphite or Industrial Char. Will the paint go off in few years, hard maintenance etc?
idev
Drew01
looking great - make sure that you inspect the brickwork before the brickies leave - the Moonshadow is a film face brick - i.e. it is a painted finish.

If they've chipped them while laying them, they have to be fixed with touch-up paint or replaced, and it's heaps easier to get them replaced while they are still there

Hi Drew01 would you know if it is ok to use film face brick i.e. a painted finish brick? What are the disadvantage of using this over brick which are coloured throughout? I am finding darker bricks like this, they mostly all painted like Austral Matallix Graphite or Industrial Char. Will the paint go off in few years, hard maintenance etc?
The only issue with film face bricks is when they chip, it's generally red brick underneath, so you use a maintenance paint to touch them up. Not a massive deal, just a pain in the arse when it happens.

Keep in mind, that dark bricks are currently on trend, but reds, browns and charcoal is a lot more timeless

shokel1975
blackcat20
Articulate

I agree with blackcat20. All those items will improve efficiency. I love our double glazing. 4 degrees overnight and our rooms donโ€™t drop below 16 degrees by morning. Personally I would never build without eaves, as I think it looks awful. We went with a colorbond roof therefore had to have sarking. I donโ€™t know much about it though.
In our area, eaves are compulsory for the front but not the rest, and it looks ridiculous. I'm so glad we did it the whole way around.

Drew01
idev
Drew01

The only issue with film face bricks is when they chip, it's generally red brick underneath, so you use a maintenance paint to touch them up. Not a massive deal, just a pain in the arse when it happens.

Keep in mind, that dark bricks are currently on trend, but reds, browns and charcoal is a lot more timeless

We made sure to identify any big chips that happened through the build and Metricon touched them all up.
Drew01
idev
Drew01

Thanks Drew01
Thanks shokel1975 I am assuming then you used Selkirk Moonshadow? Are you able to share a final closeup photo of your house to display the brickwork. thanks in advance.
[quote="idev":32u9gowp]Thanks shokel1975 I am assuming then you used Selkirk Moonshadow? Are you able to share a final closeup photo of your house to display the brickwork. thanks in advance.[/quote:32u9gowp]

Yep, we were a little concerned about using them but we were told to ensure tradies donโ€™t use a strong acid wash on them when cleaning the bricks. Our SS assured us they donโ€™t. They turned out pretty good with only minimal chips to touch up. Here are some pics...

Looks very distinctive and striking shokel1975
r_13
Looks very distinctive and striking shokel1975

Thank you r_13 ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
Thanks @shokel1975
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All ๐Ÿ™‚ We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We donโ€™t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum