Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Metricon Glendale 42 Limited Edition in Melbourne

Page 14 of 34
Drew01
Looks great! Who was your slab supervisor? We had AT, and our slab had a 1.8mm variation across the entire surface...

Our Slab Supervisor was JD. He was great - kept me up to date of progress and any issues they came across leading up to the pour. I had three calls from him with updates over a 5 day period. Very happy with that. Now moving on we have MC taking us from frame to finish. He did our next door neighbour's build, which flew along and also their neighbour on the other side, which is half way through the build and moving at a cracking pace. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
What with F-meters and dipstick instruments, concrete slabs almost become sexy!
kks
What with F-meters and dipstick instruments, concrete slabs almost become sexy!

Whatever floats your boat kks hehe
Special Delivery this morning

Our neighbour kindly sent me this pic today of our frame arriving onsite - only 3 days after our slab pour. He has since told me they are already building the frame - which is great as I am not mad about the idea of that big pile of framing sitting on one section of our 3 day old slab, which hasn't had much time to cure. I would much rather the weight be dispersed!!

But wow, they are moving fast! And of course, the Slab Invoice arrived in my inbox this morning! The Accounts Dept certainly moves much faster than the reset of the Admin Team at Metricon!

The slab will be fine, the hardening agents work incredibly fast

Based on the experience of myself and many others with Metricon’s lack of a quality assurance process for building stages I suggests it’s worth checking the slab is not defective before paying the invoice. If it’s not to Australian standard the contract allows you to delay payment for work that’s not complete.
I wouldn't be loading slab any sooner than 2 weeks after the pour. No matter which curing agents being used.
This is NOT a very good practice.
Thanks all, I will keep an eye on it in the coming days....
Anyone knows whats the blue thingy taped around the corner of the slabs?
I seen this a lot but unfortunately not on my build.
MyFirst, I have no idea, hopefully someone can answer this for us both. Looking back at my photos, I note that it wasn't there immediately after they did the pour. Assuming they came back and attached it after it had dried on the surface.
It’s the termite protection!
thanks gogo65 - that is good to know
gogo65

I thought termite protection is something they lay around the perimeter of the house when closer to PCI stage.

Or is this example is another layer of protection?
MyFirst
gogo65

I thought termite protection is something they lay around the perimeter of the house when closer to PCI stage.

Or is this example is another layer of protection?
Depends I think... We did a build outside the metro area a few years back with a different builder, and we have a soaker system that is essentially a wicking system that distributes termite insecticide around the house and disperses into the soil around the house ...

A lot easier as I can service it myself by removing a cap from a PVC pipe and adding the insecticide

It’s a physical barrier, you dont need to do anything else once it’s installed, if you dont have this then you’ll have a chemical termite system, which means you have to get chemicals injected into it, on a regular basis to ensure warranty.
nhariram
shokel1975
nhariram
Congrats Shokel for the start

Read the entire thread, very useful for someone who is about to enter game

Best wishes!

Thanks nhariram. What house and where are you planning to build?

Hi Shokel,

Thanks for reply!

I will be building in Wallan

Still, in the builder research stage
Land is set to title in Sep 2019. Don't want to sign build contract until the official settlement. Doing lots of research with regards to 'must do' before I sign the contract with the builder.

Planning to go with one of them:

A) Carlisle

B) Metrion

C) Dennis Family

Regards
Hari

Hari,

I would go with Metricon or Dennis. Read the following when dealing with Carlisle.

Under the laws of Australia, the home owner is 100% responsible for the house being built in a compliant manner. Not the builder. Not the Surveyor. You the Home owner. No matter what happens on site, if there is a defect, the home owner is responsible under the Australian Legislation. The home owner contracted the builder. The home owner contracts the surveyor.

Sometimes builders don’t like being told that they are wrong and that they need to fix something. With the increase in Private Inspectors, builders seek ways to keep them off site.

Builders will use all manner of behind the scene processes to cut cost of place special conditions in a contract to try and restrict the home owners’ rights. Before you fall in love with the design, ask for a standard copy of the contract and a standard copy of the specifications. Don’t accept a brochure. You want what you are going to sign. If they don’t give it to you, then alarm bells should be ringing. Watch out for smooth talkers. They are great and diverting you away from what you want.

One of the biggest issues is builders placing terms into the contract to stop you from using who you want as a private inspector. The law states that you can use anybody as per the Building Acts. The builder cannot in most cases restrict you. The Private inspector works for you. Not the Builder. Hence the builder has no control over them.

Another is to put specifications out that are not equal to the Australian Standards. Once you commit to the design and go through the colour selections and all of the other processes, you are emotionally and time committed. At this point, generally 3 to 6 months into the process, the builder presents the contract and specifications that have all of these hidden clauses.

Pressure is applied at that time to sign on the day or you will lose such and such a bonus. Do not sign anything that has not been checked by a lawyer of your choosing.

The second a builder starts talking about special conditions or you have a large amount of specifications that have building diagrams and clauses, seek the services of a professional construction lawyer immediately. If you sign the documents, you may have given away your rights to have the home built in a manner that is compliant with the Australian Standards. Remember it is your obligation to have the home built to the requirements of the National Construction Code. Not the builders or the Surveyors.

As an example, some builders will seek to restrict your rights to use a private inspector. Others will insert what they call Performance Solutions. Or they may call them special building processes.

This warning is given to all as a way of assisting you. Deal with a quality builder that has the runs on the board. Stay away from those that seek to hide behind clauses and conditions. Research the internet and see who is doing what in the contracts. Listen to them as they have had the heart break. Remember, just because it looks good does not make a house complaint. If it comes with conditions that are outside of the normal, then you are more than likely being suckered in.
In just over a day we pretty much have our entire first floor frame completed. Second storey and roof due to be completed by the Easter break. I’m very happy with the speed they are going so far!

Wow! Expect your framing stage invoice next week with attendant text, call and post from Metricon’s accounts receivable!
Norfolk
Wow! Expect your framing stage invoice next week with attendant text, call and post from Metricon’s accounts receivable!

Yeah I don’t doubt it!! Accounts moves quicker than any other area of Metricon lol
A couple of shots from the drone... I love how you can see where the stairs will be.

Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum