Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Metricon Glendale 42 Limited Edition in Melbourne

Page 11 of 34
shokel1975
r_13
This really sucks. I have a neighbour who is dumping on our block... because it used to be his block and he subdivided it.

I think he is internally justifying it like it's not hurting anyone and no doubt there will be skips/etc., during our build so his rubbish will just 'disappear'...

Oh that’s crappy... really not fair to you!

True... I spoke to him about it but it was hard to get him to own the problem since he's being cheap and procrastinating, etc... Anyway in the whole scheme of things it's not worth alienating a neighbour over. I left it as diplomatically as I could, reasoning that "if there is a dump pile, passers-by will opportunistically dump more, on *both* our blocks..." and it might sink in!
r_13
shokel1975
r_13
This really sucks. I have a neighbour who is dumping on our block... because it used to be his block and he subdivided it.

I think he is internally justifying it like it's not hurting anyone and no doubt there will be skips/etc., during our build so his rubbish will just 'disappear'...

Oh that’s crappy... really not fair to you!

True... I spoke to him about it but it was hard to get him to own the problem since he's being cheap and procrastinating, etc... Anyway in the whole scheme of things it's not worth alienating a neighbour over. I left it as diplomatically as I could, reasoning that "if there is a dump pile, passers-by will opportunistically dump more, on *both* our blocks..." and it might sink in!

Wow you are a patient and understanding neighbour! I agree it is best to get off on the best foot possible with them but I would be extremely pi55ed off!
Mmm..... $2000 to remove all the dirt and rubble that was dumped on our block. Not happy at all!!! About 7 blocks were affected by this a$$hole dumping all his crap.
shokel1975
Mmm..... $2000 to remove all the dirt and rubble that was dumped on our block. Not happy at all!!! About 7 blocks were affected by this a$$hole dumping all his crap.

Hmm
If u r building on waffle slab very likely u may need soil once the build is done.

Not top soil but basically rough soil.
MyFirst
shokel1975

Hmm
If u r building on waffle slab very likely u may need soil once the build is done.

Not top soil but basically rough soil.
You probably don't want soil of unknown origin though, you don't know what's in it.

Some of our soil went away after we took pictures of it and posted on gumtree as 'free fill available'. People in need of dirt for jobs came and took trailer loads.
r_13
Some of our soil went away after we took pictures of it and posted on gumtree as 'free fill available'. People in need of dirt for jobs came and took trailer loads.

I tried that and no takers unfortunately. The pile that is the expensive one to get rid of is the pile with bricks and rubble and building material in it. 😩😩
Building permit received yesterday, and piles of dirt being removed today. At last we have been handed over to construction!

But it seems someone has driven over our water meter today – it never ends!
Welcome to the joys of building.

blackcat20
Welcome to the joys of building.

Yep!!!
shokel1975

I think should not be too hard to fix. The copper pipes can be bend back to position.

Assuming water meter is fine
MyFirst
shokel1975

I think should not be too hard to fix. The copper pipes can be bend back to position.

Assuming water meter is fine

Meter is working. Getting plumber to come and fix next week. Apparently copper can snap quite easily so we aren’t trying it be bend it back. There is a small leak out of meter pipe so I have turned off water
We have officially been handed over to Construction and fencing is going up on Friday. A couple of weeks ago our CSC sent us a final 'variation'.... Due to going beyond our 270 days from date of initial signing/deposit, they were charging us an additional $7,000 for the base price of the house, due to increases in building costs. Now, we have never held Metricon up at all - we have always returned checked and signed documents/plans within 24-48 hours. However, Metricon on the other hand have continuously made us wait. We argued this with them, stating that they made us wait 2 months for our selection appointments, from the date they first scheduled them, plus they took 8 weeks to complete our town planning drawings for planning permits (when they said it would be 4 weeks). These are just 2 examples.

In the end, they agreed to reduce the variation by $4,000. While we would have liked it all back, we are happy to only be paying $3K rather than $7K. It is worth arguing with them when they try to increase your build costs due to breaching the 270 day price guarantee - because if you keep everything documented, you will probably see it is Metricon holding up the process, and not you!

It was a small win, in an otherwise long admin process. But onwards and upwards to construction now!
shokel1975
We have officially been handed over to Construction and fencing is going up on Friday. A couple of weeks ago our CSC sent us a final 'variation'.... Due to going beyond our 270 days from date of initial signing/deposit, they were charging us an additional $7,000 for the base price of the house, due to increases in building costs. Now, we have never held Metricon up at all - we have always returned checked and signed documents/plans within 24-48 hours. However, Metricon on the other hand have continuously made us wait. We argued this with them, stating that they made us wait 2 months for our selection appointments, from the date they first scheduled them, plus they took 8 weeks to complete our town planning drawings for planning permits (when they said it would be 4 weeks). These are just 2 examples.

In the end, they agreed to reduce the variation by $4,000. While we would have liked it all back, we are happy to only be paying $3K rather than $7K. It is worth arguing with them when they try to increase your build costs due to breaching the 270 day price guarantee - because if you keep everything documented, you will probably see it is Metricon holding up the process, and not you!

It was a small win, in an otherwise long admin process. But onwards and upwards to construction now!
Wow....cool....good luck with the build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
excited_builders
shokel1975

Wow....cool....good luck with the build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Thanks excited_builders !
I'd the delays are at their end there shouldn't be a fee, we went well over due to their hold ups.

blackcat20
I'd the delays are at their end there shouldn't be a fee, we went well over due to their hold ups.

We pushed them again but they won’t reduce it any further. They say that because we needed planning permits (out of our control), that it wasn’t all M’s hold ups that were to blame.

I’m moving on... so over admin stage!!
Onwards and upwards.

And we have a fence! M are finally onsite!
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum