Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Feedback on house plan

Page 1 of 2
Hi, would really appreciate any feedback you have on my house plan before they are finalised, I'm looking at a few changes such as removing the small breakout area outside the bedrooms.

thanks
Hello, the orientation of the house is pretty good, although your west facing MBR might get hot in summer. Could be an idea to plant a shady tree outside the windows or get some vertical angled screening on the outside.

I would second removing the area outside the bedrooms as you’ve mentioned, and make the family room bigger instead. As it stands it seems too small to be used for much!

Laundry next to BR2 may be a bit noisy. I’m not sure what the solution would be - perhaps have laundry between garage and AV instead?

BIRs in secondary BRs could be wider, if taken right up to door frames (or in the case of BR2 to the edge of the open door).

Main bathroom - I would change to cavity slider door as the current hinged door is interfering with the opening of the shower door. Can you fit a small sink in the toilet cubicle? It would allow for more flexibility of use.

I tend to think it would be better handed so the main rooms were on the north side and bedrooms/media room on the South.

The 'breakout could be around 25% smaller, its better to be generous but as drawn its over generous to no advantage. The door is badly placed. I tend to think about how easy would the house be if someone was injured or an old relative visited who relied on a wheelchair. . . . access to the bathroom visitor toilet etc would be pretty much impossible.
bashworth - have I got the north direction wrong? I tend to get a bit confused with these compasses! Is this plan indicating north is at the garage, or at the alfresco?

North is at the garage
Ah my bad, in that case, consider flipping the design. Rule of thumb - living areas facing north, bedrooms south (or east depending on how you like to wake ), services west.

I think flipping the house would be more of a pain at this stage unless it will make a noticeable difference as I need to keep the garage on the left hand side to avoid electricity mini pillar and water connection

I could swap the laundry and bathroom to keep laundry noise away from bed 2.

Definitely going to remove the breakout area and use that space in the living, we will have a spare bedroom anyway for study / activity space

I’ll get the robes and cavity sliding door priced up, i’m expecting these changes won’t be cheap

Thanks for the great feedback
Hillsbuilds
Ah my bad, in that case, consider flipping the design. Rule of thumb - living areas facing north, bedrooms south (or east depending on how you like to wake ), services west.

Oh bugger ok, is that for thermal reasons or just where the light is at different times of the day?
Both! So for example your south facing alfresco will be cold in winter as it won’t get any sun. Your garage will be nice and cosy though

The quality of north light is also better and more “uplifting” so great for the living areas. In this case you could add clerestory windows to get it into your living areas. Unfortunately will add to costs though.

Another thought I had was to add a window to each of the other external walls of MBR, BR3 and BR4, to allow cross-breezes. If privacy is an issue, make it one of those high long windows.

If you’re not willing to flip it then basically the design does not suit the block. Having said that, you may want a home that is cold and dark during the middle of the day in winter, if so then go ahead and leave it as is.
I agree with others too you should seriously consider flipping the house . Having a north side with Windows is the best thing we did to our house. If wouldn’t build a house again if the north doesn’t have windows

It’s all good, just finishing talking to the sales rep and have flipped the plan.

All that before readings Gillybean’s response!
👍🏻
Thanks for the help, I think you all saved me there, can’t believe I missed something so obvious, i’ve also decided to move the whole kitchen up so that I could fit a dishwasher space and additional window in the scullery
Please, this will be one of the most expensive purchases you make, so take the time to do some research. This Government website is one of the best things any department has ever done. There is a lot there, so deep read important bits and skim the rest.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au
Cool, thanks
Just my opinion, but I’d like bigger wardrobes, particularly in the master. I’d put a cavity sliding door on the ensuite, remove the door to the WC and make the shower smaller so that the ensuite can be made narrower and give more space to the WIR. I know a big double shower is nice but the WIR is tiny! . Id also extend the BIRs closer to the doors as that space is wasted IMo.

I will price up the BIR extensions for sure. I was concerned about the size of the WIRs in the master but wasn't sure where to find the space as I'm not a fan of toilets in the bathroom, I prefer them to be seperate. I have asked them to widen the WIRs a little by pushing out the wall in line with the entry.

To find the space I'd have to compromise somewhere else....not sure, its so hard to fit everything you want on the tiny blocks being sold these days. When I built 10 years ago I bought a block twice the size for 40k less.

hmm....
I would like to suggest that you look at options to reconfigure your kitchen to possibly rotate the sland bench so that you can look out over your dinning room, family and alfreco.
Below is energy guide that I tried to apply when designing our house, along with considering our needs and the existing verge tree.

I agree with Choosy about the kitchen. Have you seen a kitchen in this configuration and liked it? It’s seems around the wrong way to me and your scullery is open to everything instead of being ticked away. Is it possible to push the kitchen out a bit?

If you can see what I mean in this crude mark up. Flip the island or turn it into a u shape and push the side bench out and put in a wall to block off the scullery. I can do it up a bit better in magic plan if you like.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum