Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First pure Investment Property

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

We are building our first investment property.

I am doing some research on some things. We are building because I managed to get a block at below market price at a good location 600m from train station in Wyndham Vale ( West Suburbs of Vic)

Due to that we are building

The first builder we have looked into and that seemed like were good for us was JG king
Id like to know if anyone has had experience with them?
Also with them they do steel frames. Some people are ok with them some are not but I am not really sure why yet

Whats important to us for choosing a builder is:

1. Fast but quality build time and contract paper done - need to get this rented as quickly as possible
  2. Turnkey package - want it move in ready on hand over day for tenants
  3. Good value for money. We are on a tight budget
  4. Builder that is flexible. Id like to be able to make minor changes. And also change appliance brands. If not I would like to buy my own. Just because it is rented doesnt mean quality brands that do not break 1 week after warranty finishes is important.. I think one builder gave me this impression...
  5. Im sure there is more I cant think off
Hi Patrick as the market cools down on new homes and apartments
Renovations,Value adding, ie additions will become a boom business
Stay Tuned
Patrick
Hi guys

We are building our first investment property.

I am doing some research on some things. We are building because I managed to get a block at below market price at a good location 600m from train station in Wyndham Vale ( West Suburbs of Vic)

Due to that we are building

The first builder we have looked into and that seemed like were good for us was JG king
Id like to know if anyone has had experience with them?
Also with them they do steel frames. Some people are ok with them some are not but I am not really sure why yet

Whats important to us for choosing a builder is:

1. Fast but quality build time and contract paper done - need to get this rented as quickly as possible
  2. Turnkey package - want it move in ready on hand over day for tenants
  3. Good value for money. We are on a tight budget
  4. Builder that is flexible. Id like to be able to make minor changes. And also change appliance brands. If not I would like to buy my own. Just because it is rented doesnt mean quality brands that do not break 1 week after warranty finishes is important.. I think one builder gave me this impression...
  5. Im sure there is more I cant think off

I'd be wary of jgking if you are after a quick build. There doesn't seem to be too many smooth quick jgking builds documented on here. We built with them last year, I can count the number of building elements we didn't have an issue with on one hand, and we went over contract by a couple of weeks. Admin was also long and trying. To be fair they didn't deny any issues and were pretty good at fixing things, just not in a timely manner. This often meant redoing more work because things weren't fixed before the next trade. We had 4 different SS with 5 changes (had one twice).

In the end we are happy with our house, mainly because of the choices we made, not so much their workmanship.

I have no issue with the steel frame. I wouldn't bother for an investment, but if I was building another steel frame for myself, I would insulate all the internal walls. I don't like the hollow, tinny sound the walls make when you bump them. Probably silly, I've never noticed anyone else complain about it, but I'm sensitive to sound. The internal walls we did insulate sound "normal".

I was once told by a uni lecturer that you can only have 2 from quick, quality and cheap, this has always stuck in my head and seems to ring true.
I think it really depends where you are building and what tradies project builders in particular have access to provide quality work and within the time frame as per contract. We have built with JG King and are a couple of weeks from handover. Have only had a couple of little issues and that was with a local tradie. We have also built with Dennis family and had quite a few issues with that build. I really think it depends on your supervisor the communication. I’ve also seen private builders not build within the time frame.
James59
I think it really depends where you are building and what tradies project builders in particular have access to provide quality work and within the time frame as per contract. We have built with JG King and are a couple of weeks from handover. Have only had a couple of little issues and that was with a local tradie. We have also built with Dennis family and had quite a few issues with that build. I really think it depends on your supervisor the communication. I’ve also seen private builders not build within the time frame.

Thank you

where abouts did you build? What suburb?
Related
15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

18/01/2024
Scaffolding extending over my property

General Discussion

Ask for some kickplate to be added and also for tradies to be requested to use lanyards on tools on that side of the building. Be respectful and have the discussion…

6/02/2024
Property Boundaries in New Estates

General Discussion

The setback from the kerb is 4m. It is council land to provide an area for services like sewer main, gas mains, water mains, underground power or poles for overhead power,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum