Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Plumbing missed after slab

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We are building 2 and a half hours from our current house and today is the first time I’ve seen the block since it was an empty block.

We went to check out the slab that was poured last week and all the plumbing drainage points are built into the slab including one of the extra points for the butlers pantry.

The problem is they have missed the drainage point in the alfresco slab we paid for so we can have an outdoor kitchen.

Our builder doesn’t include concrete in the alfresco and we didn’t really want it because we wanted to do a deck and not tiles, but because we wanted plumbing there we had to pay approximately $1650 extra for the concrete as well as around $650 for the plumbing for hot and cold water and drainage. It’s all in the contract and on the plans.

Anyway, my question is, can they fix it and how do they fix it?

I didn’t get to see it till 6pm so I sent my SS a text letting him know and asking him to call me tomorrow to discuss it.

I am not sure what he’s going to say about it

This is a zoomed in picture of the plans where it’s showing it, it’s listed in the contract too so there’s no doubt it’s their mistake, I just hope it can be fixed

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89059
aphsta
Hello,

We are building 2 and a half hours from our current house and today is the first time I’ve seen the block since it was an empty block.

We went to check out the slab that was poured last week and all the plumbing drainage points are built into the slab including one of the extra points for the butlers pantry.

The problem is they have missed the drainage point in the alfresco slab we paid for so we can have an outdoor kitchen.

Our builder doesn’t include concrete in the alfresco and we didn’t really want it because we wanted to do a deck and not tiles, but because we wanted plumbing there we had to pay approximately $1650 extra for the concrete as well as around $650 for the plumbing for hot and cold water and drainage. It’s all in the contract and on the plans.

Anyway, my question is, can they fix it and how do they fix it?

I didn’t get to see it till 6pm so I sent my SS a text letting him know and asking him to call me tomorrow to discuss it.

I am not sure what he’s going to say about it

This is a zoomed in picture of the plans where it’s showing it, it’s listed in the contract too so there’s no doubt it’s their mistake, I just hope it can be fixed

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89059

Hi aphsta , Just wonder how did you go with your Alfresco drainage issue? Same mistake done for my build as well so wondering is that possible to fix it or how they do it. ?
After doing this post we also realised they missed the drainage from the butler's pantry too.

To fix the one in the alfresco they had to bring a pipe up next to the alfresco concrete and put the drainage into the wall, they bricked around it and it looks fine.

The Butler's Pantry was a disaster and they had to cut the slab from the drainage point in the kitchen where the island bench would go, through to where it was meant to be in the pantry.

The filled this in and did a horrible job, then dug it up and filled it again but it had a hump. The kitchen place put our kitchen down on the hump and we complained, so they came and uninstalled the kitchen, the hump was ground down for 4-5 hours and then the kitchen was then reinstalled.

We insisted on engineers certification where the slab was cut which they didn't love having to provide but came through with it in the end.

It caused a whole lot of delays and the kitchen drama and everything else all came back to the missed plumbing.

In saying that, if your problem is just in your alfresco it should be able to be fixed really quickly and easily.

If you look through my build thread you'll see pictures of where and how the slab was cut both inside the house and in the alfresco.

I hope this helps.
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

7/12/2023
Roof Plumbing Complaint

General Discussion

In my experience roof is essential element of the building envelope and hence a common property and should be covered by owners corporation however a detailed review of…

4/07/2023
Roof Plumbing - no compliance certificate ?

General Discussion

For anyone that comes across this issue in the future - Just did what aussieta said and found a plumber to inspect it and sign off on it. Was difficult to find someone to…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum