Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New Build - Evans Head - Northern NSW - Ben Campbell Buildin

Page 1 of 1
I just wanted to share my experience as I know that I found different forums helpful through my process so far.

We bought our block at Auction in February 2017 - It is not in a new estate, it is one of about 5 vacant lots in the whole town. It is 300m from the beach and about 800m to the main street.

The block is 810m2 and the runs pretty much east to west, the street front is on the east and there is a crown reserve on the west.

The 3 things I love in new homes are skillion facade, raked ceilings with highlight windows and hardwood timber floors. We also know the importance of morning sun in winter (from north-west) and know that the majority of cool afternoon sea breezes come from the east. And we wanted to stay single story.

I originally started looking at project builders (Coral homes, Metricon, Perry Homes) as we paid a lot for the block and were hoping to save some $$$ on the build.

After comparing "base prices" and inclusions (and the fact that Metricon said they couldn't really make changes to their plans) we decided to deal with Coral Homes.
We had friends that had built the Bahama 30 a few towns over and thought it was a pretty functional family home.
I looked at the design and as our back yard faced west (hot arvo sun in summer and no morning sun in winter) I thought I could move the media room to open up the northern sun into the house and extend the deck to limit the penetrating afternoon summer sun.
I asked about raked ceilings - cant do, asked about hardwood floors - cant do (just engineered floating timber floors) and asked about skillion facade - YES this is one of a few designs that they could do.
I came up with this design and after about 6 weeks of waiting got an estimate of $375K - Bahama 32 modified.

After much consideration we decided that although this is an awesome design and facade the blocks orientation would mean that we would get no morning sun in winter and the only coastal breeze we would get is through the front door. So we looked at another design.
Coral Homes Casuarina 32 - This design allowed me to change the media room into a front deck and therefore allow light and breeze from the east into the living areas. After tweaking the decks, turning the study into the media, moving some bedrooms around it was a pretty functional family home that made the orientation work. BUT it was a huge 366m2 and unfortunately it didn't offer a skillion facade on this plan. Casuarina 32 Modified

We detailed all changes very accurately with the sales lady at Coral homes and it was sent off for drafting changes and estimation. We waited 5 weeks, the price came back at $405K, but the plans where wrong, so the sales lady and I repeated the same changes and sent it off again. This happened 2 more times, wasting a total of 15 week to get the changes accurate.
Towards the 13th week of waiting I started asking myself do we really need a house that huge? (all the 4 bedroom displays we had been in were all around 300m2 and seemed big), are we really building with Coral for $405K + $20K to finish everything outside? (I have only known their builds to be cheaper ones under $350K), am I getting anything I love? - NO.

While waiting for the plans to come back with Coral I decided to draw up a plan of a house would want, with all the things I love in it. I came up with this.

I didn't want too waste money hiring a drafty or architect to do up my plans just so a builder could tell me that it is going to cost me too much. So instead I asked Perry Homes, GJ Gardner and Ben Campbell Building Group to give me an estimate based on my plans and I detailed all the finer things that I wanted included (skillion roof, raked ceiling with highlight windows, cladding and render, pebblecrete driveway, solar panels and hot water, ducted air con, hardwood floors, hardwood decking, stone benches and even a corner stacking sliding door to the front deck. I indicated I would like to achieve a price of $430-$450K
Perry Homes called me back and said their estimating team didn't want to waste their time on a quote. GJ Gardner came back with $458,000 but seemed very vague with the details and the sales lady took a lot of goes to just resketch my sketch for their estimation folder.
Finally Ben Campbell Building Group came back with detailed plans from my sketch that were spot on (taking 3 days instead of 15 weeks like Coral), their estimate was detailed and the owner of the company Ben came down to meet with me to go over the estimate (4hrs + drive from head office). The estimate came in at $459K, although it was 1K more than GJ Gardner the fact that their drafty was amazing, the owner made and effort to meet me and I knew the local Foreman was enough for me to be confident in choosing them to build my forever home.

It has been a process to nut out all the fine details and have now chosen the majority of fitting and colours.
We have just lodged with council and have also added a granny flat.

Whoops just realise i wrote bahama 30 instead of daydream 30.....please ignore
Hey Les,

What a beautiful spot to build your for ever home, those clean uncrowded beaches are just lovely.

The floor plan is fantastic, very functional and open. The lourve windows above the kitchen look fab and will catch some serious breezes. Your standard ceiling height is 2.710 but how high will it be in the raked section? The scale will be gigantic.

I hope you get a smooth run through council and a site start too, I’m looking forward to following along

Looks fantastic! I went through the same process and ended up just drawing a plan of my ideal home. Sometimes those builders don’t know best
I was very keen on having a skillion roof and ceiling with clerestory windows however I was worried about the house getting too hot without a roof cavity providing some insulation. I live in a warmer climate though. Does it concern you at all? I couldn’t find all that much info re. Temp difference in skillion vs normal pitch roof. I think the whole skillion ceiling with those louvred will look mind blowing

One other thing, I know you’re probably past this point or might have a different view, but my main bathroom in my current house I built has the same layout, and it drives me crazy! The bathmat has to be moved every time I need to open or close the door. Moving the door isn’t an option but maybe worth considering a cavity slider there too? It’s the only thing that drives me really mental. It’s bad enough the kids slam the shower door into the open bathroom door every shower, then to have to keep moving the bathmat....argh! Haha

Thanks Tribe 7. Yeah we love raked ceilings and I think the high side will be around 4.6m. We are getting so close now, after 12 months owning the block I just want to get craking now
Jamby - i have the same 1st world problem in the house we are currently renting, i will get the builder to knock 25mm off the bottom rail of the bathroom door so it will miss the mat. Thanks
I don't think heat absorption will be an issue with the raked ceilings. There is a 350mm cavity, it will have 2.5mm batts, we picked a lighter colour roof (shale grey), there is clerestory windows to ventilate and if all esle fails we have ducted air con and a 8.8kW solar system to run it, lol.
I don't think heat absorption will be an issue with the raked ceilings. There is a 350mm cavity, it will have 2.5mm batts, we picked a lighter colour roof (shale grey), there is clerestory windows to ventilate and if all esle fails we have ducted air con and a 8.8kW solar system to run it, lol.
Sounds like you have it all covered. Can’t wait to see it all come together, I love watching the custom builds on here

LesHughes
I just wanted to share my experience as I know that I found different forums helpful through my process so far.

We bought our block at Auction in February 2017 - It is not in a new estate, it is one of about 5 vacant lots in the whole town. It is 300m from the beach and about 800m to the main street.

The block is 810m2 and the runs pretty much east to west, the street front is on the east and there is a crown reserve on the west.

The 3 things I love in new homes are skillion facade, raked ceilings with highlight windows and hardwood timber floors. We also know the importance of morning sun in winter (from north-west) and know that the majority of cool afternoon sea breezes come from the east. And we wanted to stay single story.

I originally started looking at project builders (Coral homes, Metricon, Perry Homes) as we paid a lot for the block and were hoping to save some $$$ on the build.

After comparing "base prices" and inclusions (and the fact that Metricon said they couldn't really make changes to their plans) we decided to deal with Coral Homes.
We had friends that had built the Daydream 30 a few towns over and thought it was a pretty functional family home.
I looked at the design and as our back yard faced west (hot arvo sun in summer and no morning sun in winter) I thought I could move the media room to open up the northern sun into the house and extend the deck to limit the penetrating afternoon summer sun.
I asked about raked ceilings - cant do, asked about hardwood floors - cant do (just engineered floating timber floors) and asked about skillion facade - YES this is one of a few designs that they could do.
I came up with this design and after about 6 weeks of waiting got an estimate of $375K - Coral Daydream 32 modified.

After much consideration we decided that although this is an awesome design and facade the blocks orientation would mean that we would get no morning sun in winter and the only coastal breeze we would get is through the front door. So we looked at another design.
Coral Homes Casuarina 32 - This design allowed me to change the media room into a front deck and therefore allow light and breeze from the east into the living areas. After tweaking the decks, turning the study into the media, moving some bedrooms around it was a pretty functional family home that made the orientation work. BUT it was a huge 366m2 and unfortunately it didn't offer a skillion facade on this plan. Casuarina 32 Modified

We detailed all changes very accurately with the sales lady at Coral homes and it was sent off for drafting changes and estimation. We waited 5 weeks, the price came back at $405K, but the plans where wrong, so the sales lady and I repeated the same changes and sent it off again. This happened 2 more times, wasting a total of 15 week to get the changes accurate.
Towards the 13th week of waiting I started asking myself do we really need a house that huge? (all the 4 bedroom displays we had been in were all around 300m2 and seemed big), are we really building with Coral for $405K + $20K to finish everything outside? (I have only known their builds to be cheaper ones under $350K), am I getting anything I love? - NO.

While waiting for the plans to come back with Coral I decided to draw up a plan of a house would want, with all the things I love in it. I came up with this.

I didn't want too waste money hiring a drafty or architect to do up my plans just so a builder could tell me that it is going to cost me too much. So instead I asked Perry Homes, GJ Gardner and Ben Campbell Building Group to give me an estimate based on my plans and I detailed all the finer things that I wanted included (skillion roof, raked ceiling with highlight windows, cladding and render, pebblecrete driveway, solar panels and hot water, ducted air con, hardwood floors, hardwood decking, stone benches and even a corner stacking sliding door to the front deck. I indicated I would like to achieve a price of $430-$450K
Perry Homes called me back and said their estimating team didn't want to waste their time on a quote. GJ Gardner came back with $458,000 but seemed very vague with the details and the sales lady took a lot of goes to just resketch my sketch for their estimation folder.
Finally Ben Campbell Building Group came back with detailed plans from my sketch that were spot on (taking 3 days instead of 15 weeks like Coral), their estimate was detailed and the owner of the company Ben came down to meet with me to go over the estimate (4hrs + drive from head office). The estimate came in at $459K, although it was 1K more than GJ Gardner the fact that their drafty was amazing, the owner made and effort to meet me and I knew the local Foreman was enough for me to be confident in choosing them to build my forever home.

It has been a process to nut out all the fine details and have now chosen the majority of fitting and colours.
We have just lodged with council and have also added a granny flat.

Hi Les, We're thinking of building a similar design. How did your build go? Would love to see a couple of shots of the finished product. thanks
Janelle
Related
3/10/2023
Final payment for new build in NSW

Building A New House

regardless, your contract stipulates a payments schedule and SOPA doesn't give provision to that scenario. Your contractual terms appear to stand. Hence get a lawyer, it…

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum