Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Weeks Custom build - Virginia Grove - SA

Page 1 of 3
Greetings. Long time reader first time....um....builder?
Seeing a lack of posts for weeks build I figured it was important to sign up and add my two cents worth for the benefit of others.
We started off just going for a Sunday drive to look at display homes and get some ideas for that "one day we will build" situation.
We visited a few displays and found a plan from another builder that we thought was really nice and would suit us.
We visited the week's display afterward and met Trevor and his wife who were really helpful and cheery from the get-go. Offering a lot of advice and things to watch out for regardless of the fact we were going to go through another builder.Because we hadn't actually thought of an area to build it was Trev that suggested Virginia Grove. While initially, we thought it was a bit far out, we immediately fell in love with the area and the block that we found

As we initially progressed, the sales agent with the first builder became really pushy and somewhat forceful. Before we knew it we had signed an initial agreement without really understanding what the hell was going on (got suckered in hard).
We took the paperwork and went for a visit with Trevor again to get some more ideas. luckily actually he took the time to go through it with us and to point out what we would actually be getting for our money and the issues we would be facing. His openness, honesty and relaxed approach had me sold.
We quickly got onto it and got out of the contract with the first builder, returned to Trevor and signed up.Within a couple of days we had worked with him to come up with something similar to what we originally had, something that was actually going to be energy efficient, suited our needs and had the space we needed as a starting out small family(and as a 7ft lad, things like high ceilings so I don't feel closed in).
Long story short, we have signed and paid deposits, the bank is doing their thing and we expect to break ground in July with a late November finish.
ill hope to keep this thread updated with as much detail as possible to help others out that might be in the OMG THIS IS OVERWHELMING AS A FIRST TIMER!!! boat.
feel free to throw feedback or suggestions at me as we go.

We have been really lucky with what we feel is the dream team working with us on this.
Everyone has been so stupidly helpful its kind of hard to believe we didn't do it earlier.
From our Broker (Ange at Finesse Finance) explaining every little detail of the bank loan process and getting it across the line for us.To our Conveyancer Mithany (South Coast Conveyancing) working the paper super quick so that we didn't miss the bank dates. Trevor, in particular, explaining every little bit to us about how to make the house more energy efficient, how to get the design we wanted without breaking our budget and just generally treating us more like friends than cash cows...its been really positive so far.

Thanks so much for posting about your build! We are thinking of building with Weeks, and we actually spent a bit of time chatting to Trevor. We found him to be exactly as you described. I will be watching your thread/build with keen interest.
Glad I can help infra red.
I was actually due for an update. We got our first draft plans to look over and make a few small adjustments. They have been very timely and kept in contact all the way to let us know there is mail and email drawing coming and when to expect them etc. It's been great. Will keep you posted!!
congrats on your block and plan - very exciting!!
and 7" - wow. Are you getting the higher doorways too? One of the main reasons for us getting 2400 doors and 2700 ceilings as our youngest is going to be tall (he is predicted to reach 2m)
Nawsome
congrats on your block and plan - very exciting!!
and 7" - wow. Are you getting the higher doorways too? One of the main reasons for us getting 2400 doors and 2700 ceilings as our youngest is going to be tall (he is predicted to reach 2m)

indeed we are. its a requirement for sure as otherwise i do feel a bit closed in. We are going for 2700 all the way through except for the kitchen which is sunk ceiling to make it stand out a bit.
Received our first round of drawings. Went out and Met with Trevor again today and made a few little adjustments like a stack door instead of sliding (thanks, adelaidehills ) changed a couple of the window shapes and layouts and asked a heap of questions again. He is most certainly patient and knowledgeable.
Waiting for the 2nd draft of the drawing and then off to council. Still waiting for the bank to finalize their part in the application process so hopefully, it all comes together really soon

will upload more pics once we have them.
We met with Trevor again today to discuss our 1st draft plans. There was a lot we wanted to chat about. He’s definitely patient and knowledgeable.
Are you going brick for you external walls? We’re thinking about Hebel but not sure. We haven’t decided who we’re building through yet but after today’s meeting we’re leaning towards Weeks (purely because of Trevor) 😃
We are going with Hebel for the energy efficiency and because our family have previously built a two story Hebel home and we have seen the difference it makes to internal temp during summer. I'm super impressed with the process so far and feel 100% confident we have made the right call to build through them.
Infra Red
We met with Trevor again today to discuss our 1st draft plans. There was a lot we wanted to chat about. He’s definitely patient and knowledgeable.
Are you going brick for you external walls? We’re thinking about Hebel but not sure. We haven’t decided who we’re building through yet but after today’s meeting we’re leaning towards Weeks (purely because of Trevor) 😃

I have a referral voucher you can use if you choose to build with weeks. If you do it will give us both $1000 off our builds. Doesn't sound like much but the way I think of it, that's a stacker door or a few extra power points that you don't have to pay for. 😀

Actually have a few of the vouchers if anyone else is keen too
Wow! Thanks. I’ll be in contact if we do decide to go with Weeks 😊
Hi Hugebloke,
Just another question with regards to the Hebel, how did you find it with regards to sound proofing? I’m a bit worried the neighbours will hear me yelling at the kids 😬😆
Also, we signed the first PDA Tuesday to lock in the price before their price increase, not sure if it’s too late to mention you as a referee? We’re 70% certain we’re building with Weeks.
Worth a try. Where abouts are you? I can drop off the slip of paper you need if you like. Worth a shot if it's gonna save us both a grand.
I’m south of Adelaide (Melrose Park).
Infra Red
Hi Hugebloke,
Just another question with regards to the Hebel, how did you find it with regards to sound proofing? I’m a bit worried the neighbours will hear me yelling at the kids 😬😆
Also, we signed the first PDA Tuesday to lock in the price before their price increase, not sure if it’s too late to mention you as a referee? We’re 70% certain we’re building with Weeks.

Sound proofing isn't an issue as best I can tell. In laws are rather vocal Italians with alot of tiles and big family affairs it goes ok. No one seems to say much lol
Hugebloke
Infra Red
Hi Hugebloke,
Just another question with regards to the Hebel, how did you find it with regards to sound proofing? I’m a bit worried the neighbours will hear me yelling at the kids

Sound proofing isn't an issue as best I can tell. In laws are rather vocal Italians with alot of tiles and big family affairs it goes ok. No one seems to say much lol

Watching with interest.

We are building with weeks... roof about to go on next week. Pics etc on my board:

New build - Weeks Building Group SA
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

well, it has been awhile and sadly it hasn't been good news. The bank changed policies and revoked our pre-approval due to "changing lending policies" and then we have had difficulty finding another lender because of our circumstances.
In the meantime, Weeks have sent through our paperwork for council approval and the final costings forms after all the engineer reports and testing etc came back.
Somehow its come up $17,500 more than the original 1st round costing that we signed for.

Not only did they somehow to manage to not inform us of the wind speed requirements or the "ministers sound requirements that cost a combined total of 6k for window and sliding door upgrades alone) but they have added on $2500 for "increased, garage size was incorrectly quoted) amongst other things. I haven't been able to get in touch with our original sales agent and the new guy is rather blunt and pushy. $800 for a sliding door in the laundry? $2738 for a 2400x3048mm stacker door???
i think not.

I can't figure out how this stuff was not on the original quote and being that they have built many houses in this estate already they should have well known about the "wind speed and ministers sound requirements"
its disappointing on many levels because now we have to readjust our budget and do so with the bank as well.

Our original sales guy knew from the get-go we were on a very restricted budget and to now add on over 17k in additionals before we have even got to selections means we are going to be incredibly limited in what we can do instead of being able to have at least a little flexibility.

not posting this all to bad mouth the builders and we may still find a way to work through this but I'm more so sharing whats happening to us so that others don't get caught by the same surprises.

will keep you all posted as it unfolds.
Hope it all works out for you. Building can be so stressful

That sucks!
And just goes to show how hard it is to compare builders... I paid extra to change from sliding to normal door in the laundry. Stacker door was under 2k each from memory.
Nawsome
Hope it all works out for you. Building can be so stressful

Thanks mate. So far the front render n roof colour is the only thing we have done and it was so easy n straightforward. Actually it was really enjoyable. I honestly think if we can get the finance passed n sort the pricing out the rest won't be too bad. Just those two things alone has given me grey hair. but the upswing of that is atleast I match my roof colour now lol.
Monkey55
That sucks!
And just goes to show how hard it is to compare builders... I paid extra to change from sliding to normal door in the laundry. Stacker door was under 2k each from memory.

800$ for standard sliding in laundry and 190 for custom roller door on back of garage. Think they will let me put a roller door on my laundry instead? :p

And yeah I'm not paying 2700 odd for a stacker. That's mental.
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum