Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Byford Build!

Page 2 of 2
We haven't started building yet, but few things that popped up at various stages were:

1. Changing from 2c bricks to 1c bricks required redraw of the whole plan - at least was required with our builder.
2. Looks okay on your plan - but if it's helpful to anyone else. Make sure there's enough space on the side to fix side gate. Initially we had issue with not having enough space between the combo box and a window. Same with taps - if you want to move the external tap to inside the gate and out of sight from the front of the house. There's a minimum clearance distance between the combo box and tap.
3. Allowed for microwave recess in the kitchen bench.
4. Added a Xmas light power point outside on the porch, at a height, out of sight .
spiffmiff
Bit late on the reply here so might be too late for you! But a couple of thoughts from my experience:
- didn't check the depth of our wardrobes so the standard IKEA wire baskets won't fit (by 5mm). So work out if there any off-the-shelf type products you want to use in wardrobes/cupboards/rooms and make sure the dimensions work. We put in IKEA Pax wardrobes into our master WIR and luckily it JUST fits, so well that it looks custom. Luck not good planning!
- same as above in the kitchen. there are so many cool drawer inserts / baskets etc but the dimensions of my cupboards don't work

- double check the location of light switches, making sure there are two/three way switches where need be
- we added a little extra width to our garage but no extra length. bit annoying with my massive car (3 kids!!).
- can't see the orientation of your house, but we added a highlight window on the side of our corner kids bedroom, and it adds a heap of extra natural light. The room originally had just a small window. Our builder didn't charge any extra for a window instead of bricks.

Good luck!

Thankyou!
i really did not think of that at all! i think for the minor bedrooms we wont worry about the inserts ect but 100% yes for the master! ill look into seeing what they do, unfortunately contracts been signed and dont want to pay the $500 variation fee!
With the window idea, im hoping that the one big window each room will be enough, theyre quite big so fingers crossed!
jad33mily
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

We went through Keystart, their turnaround was great.
Submitted for pre-approval and was told the next day we were pre-approved.
Can't remember how long the wait for official approval was but it wasn't long. Their turnaround was fantastic despite the negative reviews. Haven't had any issues with them thus far and we are about to have PCI and send off for Keystart to make the final payment (hopefully their turnaround in this respect is still quick)

I can't see clearly what it says on your plan, but if you have large 4WD's or SUV's I would suggest if possible changing the garage height to 28c instead of 25c (we did this prior to prestart though and got it included in the contract)

Also depending on how much room you have from your boundary to the right hand side of the garage, if you have any large items needing to go from the garage out to the back I suggest getting a wide manual roller door instead of a standard 820 door (may mean extending your garage width wise also). We managed to fit in a 1100 wide roller door instead of a 820 normal door so is possible without changing width of garage. We wish we had more room to make it even wider though.

Make sure you have enough powerpoints in each room, better to have extra than not enough.

Looking forward to seeing everything take shape!

Hiya!
thankyou for the ideas!
Im glad to hear about keystart i was stressing abit but ive heard a couple good reviews and feeling abit better. We are hoping to submit our request for formal approval tonight! did you have to do all land/build contract and then do finance? everyone ive spoken to so far has done it the other way around! is it just a keystart thing??
yes my partner does actually have a patrol! we made sure that we put in 28c but if it happens that his car is too tall....more room for me!
We did put around 10 extra in i believe but decided it would be best to leave the ones out that we didnt need and get a friend over after to put in those extra ones we need. We also did this with lighting; we put one batton light in the corner of each room and that same friend will come through and convert to a downnight and chuck the rest in too
KD1sthome
jad33mily

Can't remember how long the wait for official approval was but it wasn't long. Their turnaround was fantastic despite the negative reviews. Haven't had any issues with them thus far and we are about to have PCI and send off for Keystart to make the final payment (hopefully their turnaround in this respect is still quick)

I can't see clearly what it says on your plan, but if you have large 4WD's or SUV's I would suggest if possible changing the garage height to 28c instead of 25c (we did this prior to prestart though and got it included in the contract)

Also depending on how much room you have from your boundary to the right hand side of the garage, if you have any large items needing to go from the garage out to the back I suggest getting a wide manual roller door instead of a standard 820 door (may mean extending your garage width wise also). We managed to fit in a 1100 wide roller door instead of a 820 normal door so is possible without changing width of garage. We wish we had more room to make it even wider though.

Make sure you have enough powerpoints in each room, better to have extra than not enough.

Hiya!
thankyou for the ideas!
Im glad to hear about keystart i was stressing abit but ive heard a couple good reviews and feeling abit better. We are hoping to submit our request for formal approval tonight! did you have to do all land/build contract and then do finance? everyone ive spoken to so far has done it the other way around! is it just a keystart thing??
yes my partner does actually have a patrol! we made sure that we put in 28c but if it happens that his car is too tall....more room for me!
We did put around 10 extra in i believe but decided it would be best to leave the ones out that we didnt need and get a friend over after to put in those extra ones we need. We also did this with lighting; we put one batton light in the corner of each room and that same friend will come through and convert to a downnight and chuck the rest in too

We had contracts all signed and ready to go before we did finance but we had to do it that way as we had to wait 3 months for our savings to be deemed genuine as we only the put the required savings for keystart in our banks as soon as we signed the first initial start documents. It did speed up the process having it all complete instead of Keystart having to wait on contracts being finalised

Awesome, my partner has a Triton and he could put on a lift kit if he wants or roof racks so the patrol should fit!
jad33mily
KD1sthome
jad33mily

Hiya!
thankyou for the ideas!

We had contracts all signed and ready to go before we did finance but we had to do it that way as we had to wait 3 months for our savings to be deemed genuine as we only the put the required savings for keystart in our banks as soon as we signed the first initial start documents. It did speed up the process having it all complete instead of Keystart having to wait on contracts being finalised

Awesome, my partner has a Triton and he could put on a lift kit if he wants or roof racks so the patrol should fit!

uh i see! i guess it works out well then if keystart require all your build contracts ect anyways, i just found it funny! did keystart come back to you for any extra paperwork or was it a straight put in application and accept? im abit nervous they will come back and ask for more bank acc paperwork *ie partner used to transfer from his old ANZ acc which is now closed to his new commonwealth which shows on the statement given, i think they will come back asking why!**
ohhh yes most def will fit then!
KD1sthome
uh i see! i guess it works out well then if keystart require all your build contracts ect anyways, i just found it funny! did keystart come back to you for any extra paperwork or was it a straight put in application and accept? im abit nervous they will come back and ask for more bank acc paperwork *ie partner used to transfer from his old ANZ acc which is now closed to his new commonwealth which shows on the statement given, i think they will come back asking why!**

Our in house broker was really good and made sure we had all our paperwork before handing in the application. I would just write up a little statement as to why he transferred from his old ANZ and a statement saying it's closed now just to be safe. We never once had them come back and say they needed more paperwork which is probably another reason for the quick turnaround. The only issue we had was getting a hold of our partner's boss to confirm employment. They don't contact mobile numbers so make sure landline/office numbers are available. Don't know why they are that picky but anyways.
jad33mily
KD1sthome

Our in house broker was really good and made sure we had all our paperwork before handing in the application. I would just write up a little statement as to why he transferred from his old ANZ and a statement saying it's closed now just to be safe. We never once had them come back and say they needed more paperwork which is probably another reason for the quick turnaround. The only issue we had was getting a hold of our partner's boss to confirm employment. They don't contact mobile numbers so make sure landline/office numbers are available. Don't know why they are that picky but anyways.

Yeah ours has been great too very lucky! lets hope in 4 weeks im replying with our finance being approved!!
Oh wow that is very picky, especially in the time of google!
Been quite the past few months; our finance got knocked back with keystart!

Reasoning being: a couple defaults on an account from last year! Keystart have advised us everything else was perfect but the account with the default needs to be closed for 6 months from the last payment on it (this being july 17th!!).
Although we were highly devastated we tried to turn this into a positive... more time to save = solar panels!
1 month and 15 days untill we can re apply, lucky we already have our building permit so settlement would be really all thats left after.
KD1sthome
Been quite the past few months; our finance got knocked back with keystart!

Reasoning being: a couple defaults on an account from last year! Keystart have advised us everything else was perfect but the account with the default needs to be closed for 6 months from the last payment on it (this being july 17th!!).
Although we were highly devastated we tried to turn this into a positive... more time to save = solar panels!
1 month and 15 days untill we can re apply, lucky we already have our building permit so settlement would be really all thats left after.

Sorry to hear that KD
at least it does give you more time to save for other things for the house 🙂
Well done on seeing the positive! Things will get moving soon
FINALLY got formal approval!! settlement date is set for 18th September so hoping we can get slab down before October; if not then 1st or 2nd seeing though we have all our building permits and what not.
How long was everyone elses turn around time from settlement to slab down?
cant wait to finally start moving forward!
Congrats on getting formal approval, hopefully not long until you see some progress.
Choosy
Congrats on getting formal approval, hopefully not long until you see some progress.

thankyou! really hope we dont have any more delays and is a smooth run!
KD1sthome
FINALLY got formal approval!! settlement date is set for 18th September so hoping we can get slab down before October; if not then 1st or 2nd seeing though we have all our building permits and what not.
How long was everyone elses turn around time from settlement to slab down?
cant wait to finally start moving forward!

For us it was two months 4/5 to 9/7
We have some progress!
My partner and I went down yesterday just to see if anythings changed (we thought at most the block would just now be free of weeds ect) and were very excited to see this!!! Our supervisor told us the slab wouldnt be down until the 17th but after seeing all of this im hoping its done sooner!
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum