Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

cut and fill question

Page 1 of 1
quick question to any builders anyone experienced on this,
our cut and fill at the back of our house seems awfully crude and the builder hasnt bothered to level out the area, straight off the slab the soil seems quite messy and unstable
is this going to be a problem? or will it be sorted out later? i am asking our builder but so far it doesnt seem like they are going to fix it
we are still at the frame stage at present

it just looks like a mess and they havent bothered to level it out, and just put the slab on..??

Normally the cut and fill just refers to the area for the slab to sit on.

If the land on which the slab sits isn't stable then the builder should be addressing that but I would say it will be down to you to build up the land.
neb880
Check your engineering drawings
They should have extended the level out around the perimeter by a meter to allow for access path , scaffolding, brickwork, etc
Your builder has left you in a worse off position?
thanks guys
i raised it with the builder and they said they will level it out with more fill
i much rather they did that properly from the start but...
and we are grateful to bentley for eventually importing soil and fixing this up
obviously its still not perfectly flat but to be fair all that was agreed was a building platform not the whole site
we will see what we can do to sort this out in the end

thankful that at least the house area is more level

quite a drop between the fence and the new levelled out area
but i guess we did build on a sideways slope...

this side is muich more level, but the fence is quite a bit steeper above it
The irony is that if you decide to concrete that area, you may have to pay to get the fill removed. But given there are some missing parts of soil, you might ask your landscaper to move the soil to other areas of the property.

At my Bentley build, I still had another 60 cubes removed for landscaping.
Most builders & Trades don't think past handover..unless it's a complete turnkey project for which you will pay top Dollar
Retaining, Stormwater, pools water tanks & Projects after handover should really be considered before the end, I've seen Cases where the builder had left their client in a worse off position simply because They choose to take out stormater and do it themselves at the end of the project...
Related
14/03/2024
Cut and filled land

Building A New House

Thanks Craig! This make absolutely sense to me!!

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum