Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Marriott 47 (Waldorf) by Porter Davis QLD

Page 2 of 5
Waldorf_Grange_Build
lilbza
Ok great, thank you for the tips. Would you mind sharing your landscaping plan? Just curious to see the kind of detail that was required.

I have a friend who is a draughtsman so he drew this up for me. Not sure if the writing is clear in the picture.

Thank you for that. The writing is a little blurry, but it's more the landscaping I was interested in, and this helps a lot.
Update:

Our land settled on the 8th of February, so we are moving closer to site start.

Today we signed our final post contract variation for a couple of windows that were meant to be awning but were still sliding windows.

Also our BC brought to our attention that we were never given the option to select our Kliplok roof (over garage) and flashing colour at WOS. I had a look at our WOS document and it wasn't even listed on there.

The flashing it the metal strip where the weatherboard cladding meets the mouldings/hebel, as shown in Waldorf_Grange_Build's photo below:

I'm glad this was brought to our attention because I assumed that was the "capping" as listed on our WOS document, but I was wrong.

Anyway, we went with shale grey to match our render, and for the Kliplok roofing we went with monument, which is a similar colour to the Barramundi roof tiles we chose.

So far our communication with our BC has been great and overall I've been very happy with Porter Davis thus far. Our BC has stated that we should be on track for site start in the next 3 weeks.
Update: We finally had our slab poured last Friday. Our site supervisor has said his guys will be onsite tomorrow afternoon to start framing. With a bit of luck we might have our bottom floor finished by the weekend.

Update: 3/4 of our downstairs frame was completed late last week. I'm being hopeful that we might have our second story frame up by the end of the week, though with ANZAC day public holiday Wednesday we might be pushing it.

Looking great lilbza
. Crossing fingers those frames go up quickly for you.

Beautiful tiles choices too, I understand what you mean about durability with dogs etc. those tiles will look amazing laid.

Tribe7
Looking great lilbza
. Crossing fingers those frames go up quickly for you.

Beautiful tiles choices too, I understand what you mean about durability with dogs etc. those tiles will look amazing laid.

Thank you Tribe7, can't wait to see it all come together

This is our little boy up at the block on the weekend. He loves to go bolting down the hallway when someone rings the door bell, and then when he realises he's picked up too much speed and is going to hit the door, he tries to slow himself up and just slides along the floors haha.

Fun for him, but wasn't good for our timber floors at home, so tiles it was this time.

Ohhhwww look at that fluff bum he is so cute. We have 2 mini poodles and a cavalier who run around crazy too.

I do agree about some flooring, we had laminate flooring last build and the kids where so hard on it, I might of been a tad rough on the scotia board too, rotten stuff. Tiles are a great option, are your tiles the same as the Rochedale display? Your home is the same downstairs? That laundry and WIL is to die for, I’m really looking forward to seeing your build as I love that display. Metricon have done a Hamptons display at Helensvale and it’s also beautiful.

Tribe7
Ohhhwww look at that fluff bum he is so cute. We have 2 mini poodles and a cavalier who run around crazy too.

I do agree about some flooring, we had laminate flooring last build and the kids where so hard on it, I might of been a tad rough on the scotia board too, rotten stuff. Tiles are a great option, are your tiles the same as the Rochedale display? Your home is the same downstairs? That laundry and WIL is to die for, I’m really looking forward to seeing your build as I love that display. Metricon have done a Hamptons display at Helensvale and it’s also beautiful.

How cute! Ours is a spoodle.

Yeah timber/laminate flooring can be damaged quite easily, though tiles (especially gloss) can be hard to keep clean because they show every little foot print.

No they aren't, we actually found our tiles at a tile shop in Underwood. We didn't particularly love anything at National tiles except for what they used in the Rochedale display, but we weren't paying what PD were going to charge. We are doing are flooring after handover.

Yes basically identical downstairs. The dimensions of the rooms are slightly different, but floor plan is the same.

Yes we saw the Metricon hamptons display at Helensvale and it was perfect. We so wanted to do the dark timber floors and white walls when we saw that home, but just knew the floorboards wouldn't be practical for us.
Update: Upstairs frame has started. Roof trusses should be going on this week.

Wow that’s sensational to see all those frames up.

Cute I really like spoodles, clever little dogs too.

Agree gloss tiles are a nightmare, I have 10 small feet so no way I want all those foot prints. We have gone vinyl this time I’m hoping it’s tough enough to stand up to the kids.

Do they have a good range at the Underwood store?? Im looking for metallic penny rounds but can’t find them. I don’t blame you those tiles would of costed a bomb with PD.

I thought that’s about your plan when I saw it, that laundry is amazing. I really liked the galley ensuite in that display too.

Oh gosh I was ready to change my whole colour scheme when I saw that Metricon display too but dark floor as so hard to keep clean.

Tribe7
Wow that’s sensational to see all those frames up.

Cute I really like spoodles, clever little dogs too.

Agree gloss tiles are a nightmare, I have 10 small feet so no way I want all those foot prints. We have gone vinyl this time I’m hoping it’s tough enough to stand up to the kids.

Do they have a good range at the Underwood store?? Im looking for metallic penny rounds but can’t find them. I don’t blame you those tiles would of costed a bomb with PD.

I thought that’s about your plan when I saw it, that laundry is amazing. I really liked the galley ensuite in that display too.

Oh gosh I was ready to change my whole colour scheme when I saw that Metricon display too but dark floor as so hard to keep clean.

Yeah we are super happy with PD's progress thus far, our SS seems like a good bloke.

Very clever... a little too clever sometimes haha.

I hear vinyl is very durable and easy to replace a board if one was to be damaged.

They have an awesome range, they have pretty much everything National Tiles had and more, but much better prices. - this is their website https://www.cheaptilesonline.com/

So were we, they did a great job with that display.
Update: We had our roof trusses go up the week before last, and last week our guttering and fascia.

Our SS says we should have our roof tiles on by the end of the week.

We went up to the house yesterday to see there's been some great progress during the week. The roof is finished, the rest of our guttering is done, most downstairs windows are in, and plumbing and electrical rough-ins complete.

Also managed to grab a couple from inside also.

Formal lounge room

Upstairs terrace off the master bedroom - we removed the standard smaller sliding door and awning window and changed it to a full width boutique stacker door to match the one off the alfresco downstairs.

lilbza
We went up to the house yesterday to see there's been some great progress during the week. The roof is finished, the rest of our guttering is done, most downstairs windows are in, and plumbing and electrical rough-ins complete.

Also managed to grab a couple from inside also.

Formal lounge room

Upstairs terrace off the master bedroom - we removed the standard smaller sliding door and awning window and changed it to a full width boutique stacker door to match the one off the alfresco downstairs.

Looks great

Today marks exactly 2 months since our block was cut. We are super happy with the progress of our build, and the communication we've had throughout with our SS.

The house has been wrapped and the last of the windows have been installed, with the exception our our large family room window and boutique stacker for the upstairs alfresco.

We upgraded our family room window to match the Marriott Grange display. The window configuration consists of a louvre, fixed, louvre as per the pics below.

lilbza
Today marks exactly 2 months since our block was cut. We are super happy with the progress of our build, and the communication we've had throughout with our SS.

The house has been wrapped and the last of the windows have been installed, with the exception our our large family room window and boutique stacker for the upstairs alfresco.

We upgraded our family room window to match the Marriott Grange display. The window configuration consists of a louvre, fixed, louvre as per the pics below.

Love the lourve windows!

www.instagram.com/waldorf_grange_build
Update: Louvre windows and master bedroom stacker door panels are now in, which completes our partial lockup stage. Hebel is 90% complete and the scaffolding has gone back up ready for the upstairs weatherboard cladding.

We have our private building inspector visiting site on Wednesday for our frame/pre-plaster inspection. Whilst I'm OCD on most things, I won't be making a fuss about anything that's not major. My main focus will be on structural fixings and plumb/level walls/windows etc.

Overall we are extremely happy with Porter Davis and our site supervisor.

Seriously love this louvre window

We are building a Marriott grange 49 in Rochedale exactly whats on display at finch pde Rochedale.

My wife and I have gone back and forths on the louvre windows, simply from a maintenance point it takes longer to clean, and we have a pool the same distance from the void as per the display home.

why did you opt for those louvres? also is this an upgrade?
Marriott49
We are building a Marriott grange 49 in Rochedale exactly whats on display at finch pde Rochedale.

My wife and I have gone back and forths on the louvre windows, simply from a maintenance point it takes longer to clean, and we have a pool the same distance from the void as per the display home.

To be honest, I just much preferred the look of them for that space, plus they will provide bit more of a breeze when opened as opposed to the awning which really only opens a small way from the bottom.

We also plan to put a pool in the same location as the Rochedale display. As for cleaning them, that doesn't really bother me. I've lived in a house full of timber venetian blinds, so cleaning these awning windows won't be an issue.

Yes it was an upgrade of $2280.
lilbza
Marriott49

To be honest, I just much preferred the look of them for that space, plus they will provide bit more of a breeze when opened as opposed to the awning which really only opens a small way from the bottom.

We also plan to put a pool in the same location as the Rochedale display. As for cleaning them, that doesn't really bother me. I've lived in a house full of timber venetian blinds, so cleaning these awning windows won't be an issue.

Yes it was an upgrade of $2280.

I think they're gorgeous and if you live in QLD definitely worth the upgrade.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum