Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need some landscaping inspiration!

Page 1 of 2
Hello lovely homeone forum peeps! Almost the last day if the year, I’m thinking about landscaping for our home (currently at frame stage).

Need some inspiration for landscaping, mostly for plants/trees etc to choose for screening and just for a nice outlook really. We don’t have a huge garden so important to make the most of it. 8m from deck to fence and the deck runs along back of house.

Would love to see some photos of what you have done post build to your gardens!!

Have a happy new year in your new homes!!

Ezza78
Hello lovely homeone forum peeps! Almost the last day if the year, I’m thinking about landscaping for our home (currently at frame stage).

Need some inspiration for landscaping, mostly for plants/trees etc to choose for screening and just for a nice outlook really. We don’t have a huge garden so important to make the most of it. 8m from deck to fence and the deck runs along back of house.

Would love to see some photos of what you have done post build to your gardens!!

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos
fairly basic. My back garden only runs around 4m from alfresco to fence. But the sides run the length of the house and front has more as well. Around 100sqm of turf.

Apologies for the mess in the alfresco lol.

The pedestrian gate is missing at the front middle and electric sliding gate is also missing for the driveway. Will compete these in feb.

Ezza78

Haha I feel you. We've been asked by Arden to provide a landscape plan. We told them we haven't decided yet so we gave them something fairly generic.

I was hoping we'd see the actual space first, and talk to a few landscapers, before deciding.

Thanks so much k3nnis, really appreciate it. Looks great. Amazing what grass can do. What type of turf is that? Looks lush!

g33kerb0t
Ezza78

Haha I feel you. We've been asked by Arden to provide a landscape plan. We told them we haven't decided yet so we gave them something fairly generic.

I was hoping we'd see the actual space first, and talk to a few landscapers, before deciding.

Thanks g33erbOt, why does Arden have to see a landscaping plan? We haven’t had to do that but we are a KDR. Our site/outdoor area is a mess m, understandably and we overlook neighbours a lot now so need to turn my garden into a mini oasis!

Ezza78
Thanks so much k3nnis, really appreciate it. Looks great. Amazing what grass can do. What type of turf is that? Looks lush!

Thanks. It’s sir Walter turf.

Ezza, what kind of garden style do you like? What sort of plants / trees do you like? Maybe give us some pictures to help us out.

It's so personal, it's hard to recommend. For us, our landscaping plan is a mix of arizona mod / australian natives / light asian fusion. I wanted drought hardy plus native birds (some of the trees are south african, as they're suited to australian climates and also attract birds). So we have a lot of big spreading succulents amongst a rockery on our (very sloping) front bank, and then a lot of natives in the back garden - plus a few Japanese maples dotted around.

I'm using a Chinese Pistachio as a big feature tree in the backyard, some Correa Albas and clumping bamboo as screeners, and maples to produce colour. In the wetter areas, the smaller border plants will be hostas that can cope with shade. Also have some callistemon, grevillea etc.

We haven't moved in yet, but I have started collecting plants and repotting to try to get them to a decent size before planting.
Hi Ezza... lovely house and external work. I noticed you have a long retaining wall on the left side of your house. Am assuming that side of your land had a steep slope?
Also, did you build the retaining wall before the slab was laid?
My corner lot has a steep slope on one side - so am thinking of how to mitigate that.

Ezza78
g33kerb0t
Ezza78

Thanks g33erbOt, why does Arden have to see a landscaping plan? We haven’t had to do that but we are a KDR. Our site/outdoor area is a mess m, understandably and we overlook neighbours a lot now so need to turn my garden into a mini oasis!

Apparently it is required by my developer, although i have not seen it in the estate requirements.

Tips
Hi Ezza... lovely house and external work. I noticed you have a long retaining wall on the left side of your house. Am assuming that side of your land had a steep slope?
My corner lot has a steep slope on one side - so am thinking of how to mitigate that.

Hi Tips, that’s not my house. That’s photos of someone else’s showing me what they did for their landscaping so they will have to answer your questions. My house is only a frame!

Oops. Thanks

k3nnis
Ezza78

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos
fairly basic. My back garden only runs around 4m from alfresco to fence. But the sides run the length of the house and front has more as well. Around 100sqm of turf.

The pedestrian gate is missing at the front middle and electric sliding gate is also missing for the driveway. Will compete these in feb.

Hi K3
I noticed you have a long retaining wall on the left side of your house. Am assuming that side of your land had a steep slope?

Thanks

Tips
k3nnis
Ezza78

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3
I noticed you have a long retaining wall on the left side of your house. Am assuming that side of your land had a steep slope?

Thanks

Hi,

Yes my house slopes side to side. About a 1m wall retaining part of driveway up to laundry area. Then steps then 600mm wall from laundry all the way to the rear side and rear of house. Mine was done after handover. Clarendon homes did not allow landscaping before handover. If done before handover would be much easier.

[quote defaultattr=""]
Hi,

Yes my house slopes side to side. About a 1m wall retaining part of driveway up to laundry area. Then steps then 600mm wall from laundry all the way to the rear side and rear of house. Mine was done after handover. Clarendon homes did not allow landscaping before handover. If done before handover would be much easier.

[/quote]
Thank you.
k3nnis
Ezza78

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3nnis,

Great looking landscaping and garden.

Can I ask what was the total cost of your hard and left landscaping work?

If you did it some of it yourself or you commissioned all of it with on contractor?

We have similar block and high amount of retaining walls like yourself too. I am trying to get a price indication for the budget.

Thanks.

My KDR Metricon Hampshire - Liberty - 45 Melb

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Renman
k3nnis
Ezza78

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3nnis,

If you did it some of it yourself or you commissioned all of it with on contractor?

We have similar block and high amount of retaining walls like yourself too. I am trying to get a price indication for the budget.

Thanks.

Thanks Renman.

I got my landscaper to do the lot. I have timer irrigation etc etc and front path and side concrete path included and also front brick fence. I paid around $55k. It includes everything you see except driveway.

k3nnis
Renman
k3nnis
[quote="Ezza78"]Hello lovely homeone forum peeps! Almost the last day if the year, I’m thinking about landscaping for our home (currently at frame stage).

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3nnis,

Thanks.

Thanks Renman.

I got my landscaper to do the lot. I have timer irrigation etc etc and front path and side concrete path included and also front brick fence. I paid around $55k. It includes everything you see except driveway.

[/quote]

Is that including the side retaining wall?

That’s a good price. Are you in Melb? If so, would you recommend this landscaper?

Renman
k3nnis
Renman
[quote="k3nnis"][quote="Ezza78"]Hello lovely homeone forum peeps! Almost the last day if the year, I’m thinking about landscaping for our home (currently at frame stage).

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3nnis,

Thanks.

Thanks Renman.

[/quote]

That’s a good price. Are you in Melb? If so, would you recommend this landscaper?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t[/quote]

I’m in Sydney
yes includes all walls. Actually $60k as I had travertine flooring for my alfresco. Around 22sqm

k3nnis
Renman
k3nnis
[quote="Renman"][quote="k3nnis"][quote="Ezza78"]Hello lovely homeone forum peeps! Almost the last day if the year, I’m thinking about landscaping for our home (currently at frame stage).

Hi Ezza,

These are my photos

Hi K3nnis,

Thanks.

Thanks Renman.

[/quote]

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t[/quote]

I’m in Sydney
yes includes all walls. Actually $60k as I had travertine flooring for my alfresco. Around 22sqm

[/quote]

No chance that have an office in Melb?

Nope

Related
25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum