Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Plantation Mirage Vogue Q1 Build - Sherwood, QLD

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

I thought I'd start a topic for my build of the Plantation Mirage Vogue 43 (previously called the Q1), on a 605m2 block in Sherwood.

The floor plan is below. The bottom level floor plan is standard, but I modified the top floor plan significantly...

* Added a 4.5m2 balcony to the rear of the house. This also had the benefit of doubling the size of the alfresco on the bottom level.
* Moved the leisure room to the rear of the house so it leads out onto the balcony
* Moved bedroom 3 to where the leisure room used to be.
* Walled off the standard main bedroom WIR and made it an ensuite for bed 2
* Added a WIR to the main bedroom by shortening the width of the bedroom.

For the exterior we selected rendered brick for the bottom level and horizontal linea board cladding for the top level...

Existing House Removal

There was an existing house on the block that we needed to get demolished. After getting a few quotes for demolition, coming in around the 13K - 15K price range, I thought I'd try some of the house removal companies to see if they would remove the house. I tried a few and most weren't interested because a) the house had a tiled roof and b) there were asbestos walls internally. I almost gave up but tried one more company, David Wright House Removers. They were willing to take the house and keep it in return for removing it from my block...win win. I did have to pay for the site clean and asbestos clearance certificate, but it ended up being significantly cheaper than if I had to pay to demolish the house, plus the house gets recycled and re-used for somebody else to make a home.

Build Starts

The build started and the first thing that need to be done was the site cut and fill, followed by pouring the concrete piers. The piers went to a depth of 1m. After this the site was handed back to us to get the pool shell done.

Pool Shell

After weeks of delays because of rain, we got our pool shell dug out and concreted. It rained heavily after we dug the hole, but fortunately the walls didn't collapse before the concrete shell was done.

Plumbing

After the pool shell was done, it was time for the plumbers to dig trenches and lay pvc pipes before the slab was poured.

Slab

After more delays due to rain, the slab was done on the 8th and 9th of December. Our site supervisor was hopeful of having the frame and roof done before the christmas break at this point.

House Frame

The house frame has gone up incredibly fast...3 days so far. Unfortunately not fast enough to get the roof on before the christmas break, so it's all left open to the elements until next year.

Following!
Following

Latest pics. Roof, Windows, Aircon, brick and render.

Coming along nicely!!
Hey Httpants,

Your build is moving along really well, great to see the old home will get a new lease of life too.

What’s the plan for the internal and exterior colour selections?

Looking forward to following along

more pics...

More pics showing plaster boarding and colour selections...

Very nice, love the colour palette
Cladding done, top exterior painted and staircase

Looking gorgeous, we too are about to build a Mirage 43 on a 605m2 block on the Sunny Coast! Your photos are inspiring!
That's exciting. What stage are you at? We've learnt alot through the process so far and are about 1 month away from handover. There's a few things we would have done differently, or at least have saved some money on post contract variations if we had our time again.
We're customising the contract now. Adding in things that clever people like you have suggested
so please keep them coming!
One thing that was annoying was the location of the bath tap in the master ensuite. By default plantation placed it on the wall on the far side of the bath, under the window, which is how it is located in the display home at Rochedale. If it is there, you can't turn the tap on or off without stepping into the bath. We had to pay a PCV fee plus the cost of plumbing and plaster boarding to get that tap moved to the side wall. It's interesting to note that the display home at the new display village near Robina has the tap in this new location, so they probably learnt from their mistake. There's a few other things like that, which are far better to pick up at tender stage, before you need to pay PCV fees to make changes.
Related
5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

5/03/2024
Looking for the perfect design - 2 storey in Qld

Building A New House

We used a smaller qld builder who went bankrupt about 12 months after completion of ours. It was a shame as they were good and relatively cheap and I would have used…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum