Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Build with Summit Perth WA

Page 1 of 20
Hi all

Long time viewer of this forum which has greatly assisted myself with research. I am building a variation of the alkira 12.5 with S/ummit. Timeline so far:

* 31/08/17 Settled on block of land
* Mid August signed PPA with Summit
* Contract signed end Sept 2017
* Interior Design Consult 25th Oct
* Tile Selection 26th Oct
* Pre-Start 8th Nov
* 13th November signed off on pre-start variation & developer approval received
* 22 Nov Final documentation received, resubmitted to correct errors
* Energy approval received 23/11/17
* 30th Nov final documentation approved
* 30th Nov progressed to scheduling
* 2/12/17 visited block and found a water meter in place!
* 4/12/17 Finance Approved
* 5/12/17 Signed off final plans with engineering detail
*19/12/17 Building Permit approved *** added 20/12/17
* 11/1/18 Siteworks
* 18/1/18 Footings done
*19/1/18 Slab poured
* 29 or 30th Jan Soakwells installed
*31/1/18 Drains done
*2/2/18 Site cleared/cleaned
*5/2/18 bricks delivered
*6/2/18 Site shed, toilet & frames delivered
Just waiting on private certification (which is due back tomorrow) and building permit. My fingers are crossed i will see a slab on my patch of sand before xmas. This has been my goal since October and would make the tedious & stressful process of paperwork & dealing with banks well worth it! My salesman is fairly confident this will happen.
Flooring

White tile is wall tile. Greys are floor tiles for bathrooms, laundry & toilet

Feature wall brick minus the middle cream detail

Surfmist garage door, Render and roof colours

Cornice choice
Welcome to homeone
I love your choices, especially your floors. Any chance you could post your plan?
Thanks J278! Here is my floor plan. I kept the ensuite design from the Alkira display in Calleya as i absolutely fell in love with it. To help with achieving the same bathroom i dropped a bedroom as i didn't feel like i needed 4 bedrooms. I also dropped it to a single basin vanity instead of the double. Glenn is fantastic with communication and including everything you may want in your home:
Exciting if you get your slab before Christmas! Where abouts are you building? I'll look forward to following your progress, we are probably a month behind you
Welcome to the forum, I am currently building with Easystart part of Summit Homes and their workmanship has been fantastic. We have just had roof cover, slab went down early October. It has been a fast, smooth build so far. Love your floor plan and colour choices
nicolac34
Exciting if you get your slab before Christmas! Where abouts are you building? I'll look forward to following your progress, we are probably a month behind you

It would be! I want to use the Xmas break in my favour to cure the slab rather than it be wasted time. I’m anxiously waiting for updates! Are you building with Summit also?
jad33mily
Welcome to the forum, I am currently building with Easystart part of Summit Homes and their workmanship has been fantastic. We have just had roof cover, slab went down early October. It has been a fast, smooth build so far. Love your floor plan and colour choices

Thanks jad33mily! I’ve been following your build. Great to hear positive feedback about the Summit group. I was pretty set on my colour choices and selections prior to the interior design consult but it was great to have professionals (la vie) confirm my choices work.
Summitlovin
nicolac34

It would be! I want to use the Xmas break in my favour to cure the slab rather than it be wasted time. I’m anxiously waiting for updates! Are you building with Summit also?

No we are Aveling - our development is pretty tight, only 4 builders to choose from!
Summitlovin
Hi all

Long time viewer of this forum which has greatly assisted myself with research. I am building a variation of the alkira 12.5 with Summit. Timeline so far:

* Pre-Start 8th Nov

Just waiting on private certification (which is due back tomorrow) and building permit. My fingers are crossed i will see a slab on my patch of sand before xmas. This has been my goal since October and would make the tedious & stressful process of paperwork & dealing with banks well worth it! My salesman is fairly confident this will happen.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your build. Just to give you an idea on time frames, if your building permit hasn't yet gone into shire, then I would think your chances of a slab this year are slim. The council has 10 working days to assess and issue your permit and with only 2 working weeks of the year left, this would put the approval on the last day of the year (Friday 21/12). The builder may pre-empt the permit and organise everything in advance, but given the time of year, I'd say it'd be more likely early Jan.
just_a_draftee
Summitlovin
Hi all

Long time viewer of this forum which has greatly assisted myself with research. I am building a variation of the alkira 12.5 with Summit. Timeline so far:

* Pre-Start 8th Nov

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your build. Just to give you an idea on time frames, if your building permit hasn't yet gone into shire, then I would think your chances of a slab this year are slim. The council has 10 working days to assess and issue your permit and with only 2 working weeks of the year left, this would put the approval on the last day of the year (Friday 21/12). The builder may pre-empt the permit and organise everything in advance, but given the time of year, I'd say it'd be more likely early Jan.

Hi just a draftee, thank you! Given that Summit have a very good rep with my shire I am hoping this falls in our favour and will get the permit turned around a little quicker. I’ve also been told another shire in Perth is pumping out as much as they can before the Xmas shutdown. I agree it’s going to be tight for an Xmas slab but I’m still holding out hope! I’m not sure how long private certification takes or why this has taken a week and a half to turn around. From what I read I thought the timeframe for these (done privately) were only a few days. Anybody have insight on this?
nicolac34
Summitlovin
nicolac34

No we are Aveling - our development is pretty tight, only 4 builders to choose from!

As in the estate developers only allowed 4 builders to build in that area?
Summitlovin
As in the estate developers only allowed 4 builders to build in that area?

Yes that's right, we could only choose from Aveling, Total Living, In Residence or Move Homes. Aveling were the only ones I'd heard of!
Our private certifications are generally turned around within 24 hours unless there is a missing document that has been missed / forgotten about. This could cause potential delays in obtaining the required info, but you are correct in believing that the certifications should have a quick turn-around! Fingers crossed you can get it down! Where abouts are you building?
nicolac34
Summitlovin
nicolac34

wow, can't say i have heard of a developer stipulating what builder you can use. They must've had some sort agreement with the companies which is making them some serious $$$. I saw your pre-start selections-i think your front facade will be similiar colour wise to mine. If my slab doesn't go down until Jan looks like our builds will start around the same time. So exciting!
I believe it's a similar system like that over east, however it's the first time I've heard it being done here. I feel like we've done a job or 2 in that estate though and I'm not from any of the companies mentioned on their brochures. Might have a look into it tomorrow
just_a_draftee
Our private certifications are generally turned around within 24 hours unless there is a missing document that has been missed / forgotten about. This could cause potential delays in obtaining the required info, but you are correct in believing that the certifications should have a quick turn-around! Fingers crossed you can get it down! Where abouts are you building?

Good to know, when i have an update tomorrow i will be asking the question then. I am assuming the engineering/site surveying delay caused this all to be held up. I even volunteered to drop my building application off to the shire to save time but with postage but this was politely declined. I'm going to be building in Piara Waters.
Love your design, the Alkira display home in Calleya is an amazing house. We also chose Glenn as our design consultant and found him to be brilliant. The small suggestions and changes he made improved our house no end.

Good luck with the build!
CalleyaBuild
Love your design, the Alkira display home in Calleya is an amazing house. We also chose Glenn as our design consultant and found him to be brilliant. The small suggestions and changes he made improved our house no end.

Good luck with the build!

Thank you 😊 the alkira was the first home I walked into and was the design that stood out for me out of many houses. Glenn gave me so much info up front and even now is assisting me with little bits of info.
Haha it was my favorite too but sadly not my wife's! The theater room at the back is spectacular imo. Hopefully you will get Jamie as a site supervisor too, he's really good
Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum