Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NEW BUILD - HGWA SOUTHPORT

Page 2 of 6
J278
100% agree with the above. Some of our upgrades were the reason why our build as undervalued by the bank

I know it sucks they under valued it by 40k:( ohwell is what it is.... we only want to upgrade our bathroom and powder room tiling so anxious to find out prices haha!
your is going to look amazing i love those tiles stunning!
Madora Dreamer
atemby
J278
We made a copy of our plan and electrical plan and made comments and drawings over a week prior to pre start of all the things we wanted to change. Certainly helped us and our prestart lady. It felt good to know that we hadn’t missed anything or forgotten to upgrade or change something on the day.

oh my gosh!!! did you not want to get them done yourself after prestart?? we are doing our own flooring and carpets after prestart as my husband can do it:) and we have family friend who owns flooring xtra so that helped!

I have upgraded most of the stuff into my loan its just little things i want to upgrade i think lol im choosing different tiles from Crosby as i didnt like there bathrooms tiles.

thats good idea i might do that aswell!

just a word of caution with upgrades. I upgraded my tiles by $10 000 and had an allowance of $10 OOO put in for smart wiring the home. I also had a whole heap of other ones. After prestart when the final costings came in the bank did not consider some of the upgrades were part of the build and would not cover them in the mortgage. The main one was the smart wiring, so I had to save up for that. Thank goodness my broker was onto it and swapped the $10000 for tilling with the smart wiring, because the wiring had to be done during the build whereas the tiling could be done after handover.

Love your plan but agree about the laundry door and the scullery door.

Good luck I hope your build goes as quickly and easily as mine has.

Hello! thanks for the reply!

we are only wanting to upgrade our bathroom tiles we are having vinyl planks throughout the main living and laundry
hope doesnt cost 10k for bathrooms
haha

your home is beautiful! i love madora bay stunning!

i think you guys are right about the scullery and laundry i only kept scullery like this so it was easy access to my future kids from my bedroom as im at the back of the house but im loosing to much space in my scullery....
Definitely the way to go in my opinion. Houses looks great when they're all open, but there is no practicality of an open Theatre when it's next to a living room as only one TV could really be watched at a time. Laundry door is good for keeping sounds out as well. Washing machines and dryers can be noisy sometimes.
just_a_draftee
Definitely the way to go in my opinion. Houses looks great when they're all open, but there is no practicality of an open Theatre when it's next to a living room as only one TV could really be watched at a time. Laundry door is good for keeping sounds out as well. Washing machines and dryers can be noisy sometimes.

Yeah your right will have to change this at prestart hopefully wont be an issue:)
Shouldn't be any issue as it's not structural
will no doubt be a small charge, but not much you can do there.
I like the idea of having access to laundry and kids wing from the kitchen, just think it needs to be tweaked. The HGWA Washington Platinum display has laminate doors that looks like a pantry when the doors are closed, if you switch the fridge recess to the other side of your cook top you might be able to use the pantry doors as access to the laundry hallway and deck the Scullery corner out. If you want more storage you could make the WIP a Store with access from the hallway which will give you an extra wall in Scullery area to fit out as a pantry. You definitely want to add a door to your laundry to reduce the noise.
atemby
just_a_draftee
Nice design! seems to be a heap of HGWA threads on this site, so they must be doing something right! Curious about your decision to have a door to the rear hall from the Scullery? I feel like if you took that away you could do a pretty awesome fit-out in that area, as otherwise there's a bit of wasted space and it becomes a main thoroughfare, rather than the area where things are kept out of the way. I would also highly recommend putting a door on the Laundry.

Just my 2 cents
best of luck with your build!

I was actually thinking the same thing with the scullery! we only left it this was as i thought easy access to my future children... but i think im going to take it out as it deffo is dead space and my brother inlaw is cabinet maker so he could fit it out for us after hand over....
i loved the display as the laundry was open but i think ill add a door on here also...

You could just get them to add in the door frame but not the door, we did this on our kids hallway. The door frame gets installed with the brickwork, so its much easier to add during the build than later. I think it was only like $100 or something small as a variation.

I was thinking, like the others, that the door in the scullery was a bit unusual. It would also make the scullery a real thoroughfare which could be dangerous (not to mention annoying) with kids!

So many choices and options, eh!

Good luck with everything
spiffmiff
atemby
just_a_draftee
Nice design! seems to be a heap of HGWA threads on this site, so they must be doing something right! Curious about your decision to have a door to the rear hall from the Scullery? I feel like if you took that away you could do a pretty awesome fit-out in that area, as otherwise there's a bit of wasted space and it becomes a main thoroughfare, rather than the area where things are kept out of the way. I would also highly recommend putting a door on the Laundry.

Just my 2 cents
best of luck with your build!

I was actually thinking the same thing with the scullery! we only left it this was as i thought easy access to my future children... but i think im going to take it out as it deffo is dead space and my brother inlaw is cabinet maker so he could fit it out for us after hand over....
i loved the display as the laundry was open but i think ill add a door on here also...

You could just get them to add in the door frame but not the door, we did this on our kids hallway. The door frame gets installed with the brickwork, so its much easier to add during the build than later. I think it was only like $100 or something small as a variation.

I was thinking, like the others, that the door in the scullery was a bit unusual. It would also make the scullery a real thoroughfare which could be dangerous (not to mention annoying) with kids!

So many choices and options, eh!

Good luck with everything

Oh ok will look into it we have prestart 7th Feb! i see your building with Summit I work for Summit:)

FINALLY! and we are off....
atemby

Congrats hopefully you have a slab soon 😁
vanessah2015
atemby

Congrats hopefully you have a slab soon 😁

They were there this morning again hopefully pegging it out and doing plumbing will find out tonight woohoo
Congrats!! Slab soon
J278
Congrats!! Slab soon

Next week before Easter they have promised! woohoo yours has flown up so exciting!! question did you pay extra for your garage floor?
atemby
J278
Congrats!! Slab soon

Next week before Easter they have promised! woohoo yours has flown up so exciting!! question did you pay extra for your garage floor?

Nah no extra, pretty sure it’s standard
J278
atemby
J278
Congrats!! Slab soon

Nah no extra, pretty sure it’s standard

Oh perfect i like it want mine like that lol ill show my supervisor
Did you end keeping the laundry access from the kitchen like Robina and Spuddles ?
Choosy
Did you end keeping the laundry access from the kitchen like Robina and Spuddles ?

Hi Choosy,

yes I did our final plans are on my page wanted to keep the access so im close to the kids.
atemby
Choosy

Hi Choosy,

yes I did our final plans are on my page wanted to keep the access so im close to the kids.

Must be helpful having OP on homeone with the same base design, hopefully not long until you see some more progress onsite.
Choosy
atemby
Choosy

Hi Choosy,

Must be helpful having OP on homeone with the same base design, hopefully not long until you see some more progress onsite.

It has been helpful really enjoyed this site! yes hopefully will be sure to add in photos of our progress.

Footings where done yesterday and slab was being poured this morning:)
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum