Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Should it be taking so long.... (Burbank)

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just thought I'd get some feedback on my house build so far.

I have been speaking to Burbank about a knockdown and rebuild. Initially spoke to their consultant at the start of June of this year, and since we had to make a few changes to the design, their consultant kept asking me to confirm things and they also spoke to their building consultants to see if these changes were permissible. They agree it is, and because it's just a simple knockdown and rebuild of one house, no planning permits needed.

So on the 20th August I put down a $3000 deposit for them to formally draught the plans, get a price for the build, and get a survey and soil test. Every week I ask them what's going on, and every week for several weeks he sends me more documents to sign, which I do and send back.

On November 1st the surveyors contact me to say that they are doing the soil test and survey, which is done.

More emails every week and still no pricing for the house, and still no formal draughted plan.

I thought that choosing a volume builder like Burbank, things would be quicker. It's been 6 months since I first spoke to them, and 3 and a half months since I paid a deposit, and they still haven't managed to even give me a price yet, let alone some plans. I feel like I haven't even moved off the first rung yet.

I know that the whole housebuilding project is supposed to take quite a long time, but I feel like they are really dragging their heels. Have other people had the same experience with such time scales? What can I do to speed it up? Should I try another builder or would that most likely put things back even more?

Thanks
I feel your pain Ben.
We are in the negotiating phase with Burbank to build the Spotswood with modifications. We paid our initial deposit November last year (over 12 months ago). We had our project put on hold early this year as our land wasn't due to title but none of the structural details were finalised, and now after meeting with the latest consultant yesterday it seems there is a huge wait time and we probably won't get our final drawings until February and can proceed to selections and then final contracts after that. It doesn't really seem fair that we will have to wait so long - possibly even after our land has titled, when they were the ones that put us on hold - we were quite prepared to finalise everything sooner so that we would be set to go as soon as the land titled. I expect a 6-8 month build time, so it will likely be this time next year before the house is complete... if we ever get there. We are prepared to walk away if they become difficult.
Good luck.
This sucks. There is plenty you can do...

Now it really depends on the type of person you are prepared to be - just remember, these people work for you, they are not doing you an favours, and it's YOUR money.

They are not your friends, and you wont have anything to do with them in 12 months time - they will forget you and vice versa..

Call head office and demand answers. Stop contacting once a week..... CONTACT EVERY DAY! If they give you a date that they expect something back - make them accountable and ask for reasons as to why it hasn't been done. Turn the screws on them.

If you complain - be annoying (not rude) they'll pull their finger out to get rid of you. They'll be extra careful when building as to not pi$$ you off and cause trouble.

As an example - I'm building with GJ Gardner - the sales guy expected something back in 4 weeks. I gave them and extra week before I went to town...

Low and behold, after contacting head office, speaking to the sales manager, not 2 hours later I had all my drawings, soil tests back.

So yes, you can do plenty.

Good luck!

B&A

Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89917
Yes I have similar experience to you.

Very unlucky for you that you are with Burbank, I feel your pain.
From the initial deposit to the the actually start of the build on site, it took them 8 months.
Then 9 months later we are still not completed and the site manager said it may take another month.
And they take a long time to answer emails, phone calls, especially the site manager and will not return calls most of the time.
It has been a distressing building experience for me. If I had to choose again I will never choose Burbank.
you can expect your build time to be 8 to 10 months with burbank for 2 storey homes.
Where are you building Frank?
We are in outer West of Melbourne. Ours is single storey so I’m hoping 6-8 months will cover it.
We are in the South East of Melbourne. They are chronically short on staff.
They would keep telling me they are very busy all the time and very short on staff that caused the delays.
A 2 storey home might need 5 months and a bit to complete from other builders and here at Burbank it might take 10 if you are lucky.

The sales consultant I bought the house from just quit recently because he got fed up with the daily complaints he gets from angry customers and moved to another builder.
6-8 months for a single storey home sounds about right if everything goes smoothly. best of luck to you!
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/09/2023
If a Builder is taking deposits and not getting DBI how can

General Discussion

Thanks. I called VBA today and they said it was a Consumer Affairs issue, the old handball. Seems like the government organisations don't want to do their job at the moment.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum