Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes / Avoca 23 / Handover 6th of August

Page 2 of 14
bananarama
CC7
Thank you so much for this, I see the issue! That is so annoying, and it sounds like you left quite a bit of room when you designed

I remember seeing a fridge and being able to pull out the fridge drawers with the door in position like that, as they had the shelving of the door to suite (so the drawer in the main area would slide out and it would go in between two of the door shelves, it wouldn't hit anything) but now that i think of it, i think the issue was with the drawers in the freezer at the bottom

I think our media room is a standard window size so i think the water tank would be seen from there. gah!

I’m not sure how big yours would be, but our hot water system sits 1400 from finished floor level. If the bottom of your window is above that, you could fit it under neath maybe?

Our media window on the plans say its 2400 x 1200. I've forgotten how far down from ceiling they do the windows. I'm going to go to the display tomorrow and pick their brains about it all

Because our lot starts to flare out, maybe it can go closer toward the house near the front bedroom. I'm not sure though as i've read its better to have the system closer to the living/bathroom areas, although our sales person said it doesnt make too much difference these days
So we are being told our variations (our free ones) could be made AFTER contract signing

we have gotten off the phone, and she agrees there are some errors in the drawings (laundry bench doesn't go long enough, and i noticed the ensuite vanity wasn't flush with the walls) but she is saying that it will be sorted after we sign as and they are Coral errors

It would be completely silly to sign off on drawings that are wrong am i correct? We want all this sorted for the home owners grant, but we really don't want to rush into

I'm not sure of the turn around on the plans is all.
CC7
So we are being told our variations (our free ones) could be made AFTER contract signing

we have gotten off the phone, and she agrees there are some errors in the drawings (laundry bench doesn't go long enough, and i noticed the ensuite vanity wasn't flush with the walls) but she is saying that it will be sorted after we sign as and they are Coral errors

It would be completely silly to sign off on drawings that are wrong am i correct? We want all this sorted for the home owners grant, but we really don't want to rush into

The same thing happened to us (there were errors but we needed to sign and couldn’t wait for them to take another month to fix them), just make sure you get it in writing (email) and list everything you need added as a free variation and ask for the variation to be done on the day of contracted signing.

We did this and had no issues but just in case you need an email stating what was to be added as a free variation after contract signing and why so you can go to higher management if you have any issues.

We signed off on plans with our wardrobe extension being wrong and ensuite changes wrong as well as a few other items.

I found it a lot easier to edit the plans in photoshop and highlight what needed fixing so they would get it right straight away.. so many variations took 2-3 months to get right! Like the extension of our ensuite vanity

StephLee
CC7

The same thing happened to us (there were errors but we needed to sign and couldn’t wait for them to take another month to fix them), just make sure you get it in writing (email) and list everything you need added as a free variation and ask for the variation to be done on the day of contracted signing.

We did this and had no issues but just in case you need an email stating what was to be added as a free variation after contract signing and why so you can go to higher management if you have any issues.

We signed off on plans with our wardrobe extension being wrong and ensuite changes wrong as well as a few other items.

I found it a lot easier to edit the plans in photoshop and highlight what needed fixing so they would get it right straight away.. so many variations took 2-3 months to get right! Like the extension of our ensuite vanity

Oh Steph you have put my mind at ease thank you thank you thank you! We will for sure get it in writing in case there are any dramas down the line
We have our tiles appointment at this Saturday. A little nervous even though we have been into both Beaumont and National Tiles at least four times haha. We then have our Colours appointment on the Wednesday.

Here are some reference photos for the type of look we are hoping to achieve

We fell in love with some of the Concrete range from Ceaserstone, until we realized they were more matte than the others, and will mean they will need a little more care and may absorb stains. I believe it will be an 2 x upgrades for that anyways, so the wallets were happy on us being against picking that HAHA

THEN we were keen to upgrade to 'Oyster' as from the samples it looked to the be the most cool grey that sort of looked like concrete. We have recently discovered in has some dark blotches throughout it (not sure if we will think it would appear dirty), so now we are back to a standard colour which is Urban, but it's a tad warmer than our floor tiles, but we are hoping it won't look too off.

Backsplash we are pretty set on this look, herringbone tiles though

There were some great selections at National Tiles in terms of greys, which is what we are going for, but in the end we have gone with Beaumont Tiles as their 'Belga Grey' sat in the middle of two we loved at National Tiles. Also, the Belga Grey is more glossier and I'm hoping it will mop easier

The bathroom we aren't 100% sure about yet, we would love to have a feature wall of a smaller herringbone tile above the bath ( and around the window), but fairly sure it will be too expensive for our liking haha

here's the display bathroom for the Avoca 23

we were also toying with the idea of having a dark feature wall (vanity wall) white everywhere else, and the belga grey on the floor. White on white for the cabinets

I think we will spend most of our 3hr appointment deciding on this damn bathroom haha.
Pretty! I love them all - Urban, mosaics and belga! 💕
mj-mac4
Pretty! I love them all - Urban, mosaics and belga! 💕

Thank you
We are hoping it all comes together nicely
CC7
We have our tiles appointment at this Saturday. A little nervous even though we have been into both Beaumont and National Tiles at least four times haha. We then have our Colours appointment on the Wednesday.

We fell in love with some of the Concrete range from Ceaserstone, until we realized they were more matte than the others, and will mean they will need a little more care and may absorb stains. I believe it will be an 2 x upgrades for that anyways, so the wallets were happy on us being against picking that HAHA

THEN we were keen to upgrade to 'Oyster' as from the samples it looked to the be the most cool grey that sort of looked like concrete. We have recently discovered in has some dark blotches throughout it (not sure if we will think it would appear dirty), so now we are back to a standard colour which is Urban, but it's a tad warmer than our floor tiles, but we are hoping it won't look too off.

There were some great selections at National Tiles in terms of greys, which is what we are going for, but in the end we have gone with Beaumont Tiles as their 'Belga Grey' sat in the middle of two we loved at National Tiles. Also, the Belga Grey is more glossier and I'm hoping it will mop easier

The bathroom we aren't 100% sure about yet, we would love to have a feature wall of a smaller herringbone tile above the bath ( and around the window), but fairly sure it will be too expensive for our liking haha

we were also toying with the idea of having a dark feature wall (vanity wall) white everywhere else, and the belga grey on the floor. White on white for the cabinets

I think we will spend most of our 3hr appointment deciding on this damn bathroom haha.

Great choices
We picked Belga Grey with Urban waterfall bench and we will have polar white for the cabinetry. I know what you mean with to bench colour vs. Tile but I think it'll look fine and like you, my wallet is very happy.

We went darker in the bathrooms and used Belga Charcoal for floors and up one wall. I like dark tiles in the bathroom but that could be because our first home was very similar and I miss it, haha
Love your inspo pics. I’m having white stone on polar white cabinetry. I’m afraid it’s going to be too white.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
SKND10
CC7

Great choices
We picked Belga Grey with Urban waterfall bench and we will have polar white for the cabinetry. I know what you mean with to bench colour vs. Tile but I think it'll look fine and like you, my wallet is very happy.

We went darker in the bathrooms and used Belga Charcoal for floors and up one wall. I like dark tiles in the bathroom but that could be because our first home was very similar and I miss it, haha

yay another Belga Grey person! i'm glad i'm not the only one that thought Urban was a tinnny bit warm paired with Belga Grey, I can tend to overthink too much haha, but I don't think it will be noticeable once its all in. I mean if we both have a friend/family member that comes in and goes 'is your bench everrrrrr so slightly more warmer than your tiles?' i think we will be questioning why we have them in our lives. I think we are the only people who see it, the perks of holding tiles against benches haha

I saw the belga charcoal last time we were in! It's really nice, i'm hoping i can find something in between them both, but at this stage it will be all white for us. Hopefully I can add some character with a plant, or a hand towel or something haha
sparrowsnest
Love your inspo pics. I’m having white stone on polar white cabinetry. I’m afraid it’s going to be too white.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

I just checked out your thread! Your home is going to be soooo stunning! I actually love your original floor (but i'm picturing it in my home instead haha) but your new floor sounds like it suits your house much better. I laughed when i read you were both compromising, but neither of you loved it. at least you found out now and not after it was done

your white on white kitchen will be FLAWLESS! It will never EVER date, and i always think they always look so classy. I've been second guessing myself about our darker kitchen counter tops, wondered if they will be TOO dark, and too much of a contrast. I just have to remember how much we loved walking into a few displays that had the same sort of look. I guess it depends what mood we are in next Wednesday when the day comes to pick it all

our bathrooms will most likely have a "white" counter top. I think the standard white isn't very white though. Just remember all the kitchen items that will go in your kitchen, you can add colour (or woodgrains) with items like canisters etc. I'll be doing the same with the bathrooms if we go white on white with white walls.

I'm going to follow your thread, and i bet every time i see your kitchen i'll be like 'omg why didnt we go white for ours' to my partner haha
Just another little tip for you tile appointment! If you arent going an undermount rangehood, get them to tile up and around the rangehood if you want it to look seamless between the cabinetry. It's a personal preference thing but I thing the look it achieves is great!!
Caydenn
Just another little tip for you tile appointment! If you arent going an undermount rangehood, get them to tile up and around the rangehood if you want it to look seamless between the cabinetry. It's a personal preference thing but I thing the look it achieves is great!!

thank you for that, wouldn't have thought of that. We are having an undermount rangehood though, so we can have some extra cupboards above for spices... although that means if we want those silk cabinets cabinets there are two more to factor in ha

I agree, splash all the way up if weren't going undermount.

So many things you end up thinking about that you normally wouldn't. I walked a street today looking at what colour everyone had for their windows haha 'is that precious silver?' and then roofs 'is that wallaby or woodland grey?'
CC7
sparrowsnest

I just checked out your thread! Your home is going to be soooo stunning! I actually love your original floor (but i'm picturing it in my home instead haha) but your new floor sounds like it suits your house much better. I laughed when i read you were both compromising, but neither of you loved it. at least you found out now and not after it was done

your white on white kitchen will be FLAWLESS! It will never EVER date, and i always think they always look so classy. I've been second guessing myself about our darker kitchen counter tops, wondered if they will be TOO dark, and too much of a contrast. I just have to remember how much we loved walking into a few displays that had the same sort of look. I guess it depends what mood we are in next Wednesday when the day comes to pick it all

our bathrooms will most likely have a "white" counter top. I think the standard white isn't very white though. Just remember all the kitchen items that will go in your kitchen, you can add colour (or woodgrains) with items like canisters etc. I'll be doing the same with the bathrooms if we go white on white with white walls.

I'm going to follow your thread, and i bet every time i see your kitchen i'll be like 'omg why didnt we go white for ours' to my partner haha

Thank you! I’m constantly a zillionth time guessing my choices. I hope it looks like it does in my head
I have loved your look in display homes so I’m sure it will look stunning in your home. Just go with what you love
I look forward to following your build!

I can’t believe how often I look at peoples colour choices for their roof and windows and everything now! I’m always saying to people of loom they have an ironstone roof or a monument roof and people just look at me funny lol.

sparrowsnest
CC7
sparrowsnest

Thank you! I’m constantly a zillionth time guessing my choices. I hope it looks like it does in my head
I have loved your look in display homes so I’m sure it will look stunning in your home. Just go with what you love
I look forward to following your build!

I can’t believe how often I look at peoples colour choices for their roof and windows and everything now! I’m always saying to people of loom they have an ironstone roof or a monument roof and people just look at me funny lol.

yes! I haven't asked anyone yet because they would probably just look at me funny and be like 'i dont know, grey?' HAHA

looking at a swatch in a room with lights is completely different that the mass material that sits above your house and has the sun on it
I promised myself i wasnt going to follow any more threads last year but the avoca is my favourite and theres not many of us who have built it. Looking forward to seeing yours come to life

vonsta76
I promised myself i wasnt going to follow any more threads last year but the avoca is my favourite and theres not many of us who have built it. Looking forward to seeing yours come to life

haha! I'm sure i'll be doing the same once we are finished building

I'm surprised there's not many Avocas here on the forum. Yours was a main thread I looked through after we decided on our plan actually

The display at Ormeau Hills is still open on weekends, and we were told it's because the Avoca has been SO popular they wanted to keep it open as long as possible until a new display of it is open. I think they are the only display left on the block there haha. They sold a lot of them just in that area alone apparently

excited to have you following along
fingers crossed we don't have any major dramas
CC7
vonsta76

I'm surprised there's not many Avocas here on the forum. Yours was a main thread I looked through after we decided on our plan actually

The display at Ormeau Hills is still open on weekends, and we were told it's because the Avoca has been SO popular they wanted to keep it open as long as possible until a new display of it is open. I think they are the only display left on the block there haha. They sold a lot of them just in that area alone apparently

Haha you have no idea how many times I went the display to see it and my SC and bug her with questions, luckily I was living close at the time.

Didnt realise the avoca is popular, i only know of 3 others who have a thread on here in 3 years, me being the fourth.

Are you getting a private inspector? Your SS will also make or break your build.

vonsta76
CC7
vonsta76

Haha you have no idea how many times I went the display to see it and my SC and bug her with questions, luckily I was living close at the time.

Didnt realise the avoca is popular, i only know of 3 others who have a thread on here in 3 years, me being the fourth.

Are you getting a private inspector? Your SS will also make or break your build.

haha yes, we went there sooooo many times

we were thinking just the other day about getting a private inspector actually. Yes i'm praying we have a great SS, we have had some small little hiccups so far, and we hoping it's not the start of bad luck
Another belga and urban house here. We love our choices, it was so hard as a tiny sample but looks amazing

viewtopic.php?t=88323&f=31&p=1771329#p1771329
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum