Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First home builders! - Building through eight homes....

Page 1 of 1
Hello all

My partner & I are first time builders and have selected eight homes 6-29 OCTAVE.

I am just wondering if anyone can let me know how they found their build process with eight homes as some of the reviews are quite terrible to say the least and i'm feeling very anxious about our decision at the moment....
We will be hiring a qualified building inspector throughout the whole process to help us ease our minds about or first home

We have recently signed our first set of contracts and selected colours (didn't go to the colour selection appointment) but was recently doubting the dark carpet that was on the colour board that we selected. Only to find out that the colour selection appointment fee is $750!!!
I think i will just deal with the darker carpets for the time being then!

I was also wondering if anyone can upload some pictures of their finished 8homes, with their facade as well as i am doubting our colorbond garage colour which is 'shale grey' and am wanting to change to the timber look garage door

Thank you
Hi DanielleJ92

I am in a similar stage in the process as you with the similar 4-29 TEMPO.

Color browse is next. Undecided on whether to do the Color Selection (I also just found out about the $750 fee).

So far so good in terms of communication and service. But wary how things can change once passed on from Sales to other teams in the latter half of the contract development.
Surprised about the fee. Is that to repick your colours only?

I believe Eight homes is part of Urban Homes.

Good luck with your build.
Hi aloenyx the $750 is just to attend the colour selection appointment, ridiculous. & yes, they are a part of Urban Edge Homes who also have very poor reviews.... Hmm

Hi Nim_Truganina_2018-9
We selected the 'Manhattan chic' colour board & everything looks beautiful & exactly what we wanted besides the carpet colour.....

I have seen that some people building with Eight Homes have managed to get the colour appointment fee taken away & if that was the case then i would absolutely go through with it as i feel like the carpet is something that i'm going to see every day & it will bug me if we move in and i really don't like it.
I don't want to wish that i changed it when it's too late however i just don't want to pay $750 for peace of mind either....

I am thinking of asking our sales consultant to send me through a breakdown of pricing for the carpet as i might just do a variation and have it done ourselves, that way i can then get better quality and the colour i want without spending $750 just for an appointment to LOOK at the carpets!

That's exactly what we are worried about as well & also the delay in building as we will be building outside of their buildzone and are worried that they will just take their time as they won't have a lot of other business close to us.... Hmm we will have to wait and see i guess!
Good luck with your colour selections! The tempo is a beautiful house

Danielle.
Hi Danielle. We are building the senza 27 and our experience has been extremely positive. We are on the home stretch and should be complete in a few weeks.

I chose a colourboard for both internal and external. Winter gates for inside and urban bronze for external but this was about 12 months ago.

Hi Beclovesthepies,
Oh that's great! So refreshing to hear someone have a positive experience the whole way through!
The senza was originally the house that my partner & I fell in love with but they changed the floor plan slightly by the time we were really ready to commit.
The house is looking great, you must be so excited!

We decided to keep the darker carpet after speaking to our sales consultant as our only option besides paying the colour appointment fee was to select off of the boards and the carpet choices were dark brown, light charcoal and dark charcoal (which we've got) so no point altering it anyway then. We do however want to adjust power point/light switch locations so wanting to know if that's any easy change after signing contracts.
Did you make any changes after you had signed your sales quote etc?

Manhattan Chic looks beautiful, I would definitely choose that one too. After i signed contracts i was still able to make changes. I was provided post contract variations, but once the final drawings were done i wasn't able to change anything else. My colour scheme now is more like the standard board Mediterranean.
Danielle you can go visit the colour selections place on a Saturday just for a look.
Hi Danielle, congrats on your first home. We are also building their Tempo 27 with Eight Homes. We are at PCI stage and should be just few weeks till handover. Our experience is very positive so far with some minor issues. Our site started in July 2017 so about 5 months and almost there. The sales and pre-site experience was really good. we went through the color selection as the sales consultant waived $750 for us. I actually told him i will not put any deposit unless this is waived and a complementary upgrade to timber looking garage
he managed to get that approved as we took the gold pack too. The communication is great with the on site customer service and the supervisor calls back promptly. However, like with any builder you need to be very close with construction progress by visiting site very regularly. Also Independent Inspector is a good idea. We used one as well. So far no major construction issues which is great. Best wishes to you. some photos for you

Persol
Hi Danielle, congrats on your first home. We are also building their Tempo 27 with Eight Homes. We are at PCI stage and should be just few weeks till handover. Our experience is very positive so far with some minor issues. Our site started in July 2017 so about 5 months and almost there. The sales and pre-site experience was really good. we went through the color selection as the sales consultant waived $750 for us. I actually told him i will not put any deposit unless this is waived and a complementary upgrade to timber looking garage
he managed to get that approved as we took the gold pack too. The communication is great with the on site customer service and the supervisor calls back promptly. However, like with any builder you need to be very close with construction progress by visiting site very regularly. Also Independent Inspector is a good idea. We used one as well. So far no major construction issues which is great. Best wishes to you. some photos for you

Hi Persol!
Thanks so much for your reply

Your house is looking amazing, hope you're in it & settled now

We didn't think to play hard ball like you did haha, good work! We are going to our contract meeting in 2 weeks & hoping to have all of our queries RE: upgrades & changes etc answered, we just can't wait for it to be built already! There is someone else in our estate who are building through 8homes and i am just so excited to watch their build & see the progress, so far they're one of the only ones with fences up and pipework started, hoping ours follows suit

Danielle.
Hi Danielle, unfortunately we are still not in which is very frustrating! The end of contraction is pretty disappointing as the supervisor keeps missing things and fails timelines. To be honest pretty ordinary service from this super user. Yes they were onsite pretty quick but the build time does drag. We have houses has site start after 2 months of ours and did the handover last week despite lots of follow up. We are now preparing the final payment and hoping handover next week. Hope your experience will be a goon one. My suggestion will be stay close with construction and keep following up things.
Hi Persol,
Oh i'm disapointed to hear that for you; that mus be so frustrating.
We have heard your same complaints from quite a few people which is a bit of a worry to be honest.
I hope everything finishes smoothly & quickly for you!
We live around the corner from where we will be building and is almost on route of our drive home so we will definitely be staying on top of the whole build that's for sure!
All the best Persol.
Hi Daniele,

How is your build progress with 8 homes so far ?
Hi Daniele,

How was your journey?

Thanks.
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

19/05/2023
PVC pipe through footing

General Discussion

yep sounds good make the footing bigger to to allow for the pipe in the middle

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum