Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Has anyone applied surface sealing to face bricks?

Page 1 of 1
Hi, everyone, just wonder if anyone has sealed the bricks. From some online resources it seems a good idea to do as it protects the bricks for years to come from rain, dirt, etc. any comment would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have not, and it seems an unnecessary expense to me. By their nature, bricks are pretty robust and there are plenty of hundred+ year old buildings that are still standing and looking good without having had a seal applied. I would suggest the websites recommending this have a vested interest.
Good answer from arcadelt however there are special circumstances where sealant is required for waterproofing. For example a single garage brick wall will in driving rain get wet right through. Application of sealer to outside face will effectively seal it. After application it becomes invisible and you would not know it has been done.
Thank you both for the comment, I was told over the years the brick will absorb water and dry over and over agin which will weaken the bricks. And to keep the cleaning job easy too. Any idea about the cost? And recommendation for service?many thanks
Related
13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

16/11/2023
Possible to "surface over" or would I need to completely rel

Paving & Concreting

You can wash over existing pavers with 10% solution of water and hydrochloric acid, then wash off. The acid will provide for required bond key with new concrete.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum