Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Hall & Hart Homes

Page 43 of 61
SDS1
Zen
Some things we wish we had done now that we’ve nearly finished with the build:
1. I wish we upgraded to a smart aircon controller with multi zones. The 2 included zones are not that flexible. I called an aircon company to ask how much it will cost to add a smart controller to have flexibility of multiple zones. they said it will require updating the ducts and would be very expensive. The smart controller is expensive ($2k+ I think) but then so would redoing the aircon ducts. There is a $300 controller that I researched that is easy to install and gives you access to turn on/off the aircon from your phone but you can’t do different zones.

Also which private certifier did you use?
SDS1
SDS1
Zen
Some things we wish we had done now that we’ve nearly finished with the build:
1. I wish we upgraded to a smart aircon controller with multi zones. The 2 included zones are not that flexible. I called an aircon company to ask how much it will cost to add a smart controller to have flexibility of multiple zones. they said it will require updating the ducts and would be very expensive. The smart controller is expensive ($2k+ I think) but then so would redoing the aircon ducts. There is a $300 controller that I researched that is easy to install and gives you access to turn on/off the aircon from your phone but you can’t do different zones.

Also which private certifier did you use?

Hi SDS1, we used Daniel Connell from www.precisionbuilders.com.au. We did 4 stages with him and found it very useful. He identified stuff that we would not know to check and gave us peace of mind.

We didn't know about the smart controller, only found out about if because our friend upgraded to it (also a H&H build) and we saw how flexible it was to be able to zone individually for rooms, this would be useful at nights to only use the aircon/heater for bedrooms (our kids now want to share a room so it seems like a waste to cool all the rooms upstairs when only 2 bedrooms will be used). Also for day times working from home, I would only need it for the home office while the kids are at school. It can also be controlled on the app so can turn on/off and control the zones wirelessly. I didn't check closely enough during electricals so missed that the standard inclusion was only for 1 controller which has been installed upstairs in our 2-storey build. It's not a huge inconvenience but to turn it on/off/adjust will require going upstairs each time. There is the option to add another controller downstairs and to add multiple fixed zones (which was an additional $450/zone) - but if like us you haven't really thought about which rooms will be used for which function, deciding zones during selections would be too early. If budget stretches, I think the smart aircon would be good upgrade given how difficult it is to upgrade after the build.
Is anyone worried about covid19? will things like kitchen selections etc and flooring shop continue to be open? they are arent essential services, nor is construction itself. construction is an activity not a service and will only be ok if it relates to essential services (building hospital, police station etc) - if things are further locked down... obviously they appear ok for now.... (i think)
[/quote]
Also which private certifier did you use?[/quote]
Hi SDS1, we used Daniel Connell from www.precisionbuilders.com.au. We did 4 stages with him and found it very useful. He identified stuff that we would not know to check and gave us peace of mind.

We didn't know about the smart controller, only found out about if because our friend upgraded to it (also a H&H build) and we saw how flexible it was to be able to zone individually for rooms, this would be useful at nights to only use the aircon/heater for bedrooms (our kids now want to share a room so it seems like a waste to cool all the rooms upstairs when only 2 bedrooms will be used). Also for day times working from home, I would only need it for the home office while the kids are at school. It can also be controlled on the app so can turn on/off and control the zones wirelessly. I didn't check closely enough during electricals so missed that the standard inclusion was only for 1 controller which has been installed upstairs in our 2-storey build. It's not a huge inconvenience but to turn it on/off/adjust will require going upstairs each time. There is the option to add another controller downstairs and to add multiple fixed zones (which was an additional $450/zone) - but if like us you haven't really thought about which rooms will be used for which function, deciding zones during selections would be too early. If budget stretches, I think the smart aircon would be good upgrade given how difficult it is to upgrade after the build.[/quote]

Thank you Zen appreciate the advise.
Kind regards
msresearcher
Is anyone worried about covid19? will things like kitchen selections etc and flooring shop continue to be open? they are arent essential services, nor is construction itself. construction is an activity not a service and will only be ok if it relates to essential services (building hospital, police station etc) - if things are further locked down... obviously they appear ok for now.... (i think)

HHH Emailed last week that if you're in pre-construction phase: Non-essential meetings will be cancelled and required meetings move online: "Your project manager will now be using Zoom Meetings where possible, we have found this to be a surprisingly good alternative to face to face meetings in many situations. We understand this may not work for all appointments, but it will reduce the need to come to the office. Your project manager will contact you"

For those in Construction phase: "Your weekly updates and site visits will continue as per normal.

Construction supervisors are no longer coming into the office and already working remotely."
[/quote]
HHH Emailed last week that if you're in pre-construction phase: Non-essential meetings will be cancelled and required meetings move online: "Your project manager will now be using Zoom Meetings where possible, we have found this to be a surprisingly good alternative to face to face meetings in many situations. We understand this may not work for all appointments, but it will reduce the need to come to the office. Your project manager will contact you"

For those in Construction phase: "Your weekly updates and site visits will continue as per normal.

Construction supervisors are no longer coming into the office and already working remotely."[/quote]

I believe things will slow down generally with DA approvals, financing may be impacted if Banks tighten lending criteria to respond to current economic outlook, etc. But these are unprecedented times and it will probably get worse before it gets better. Best wishes with your build and I hope it goes well for you
We have not received the estimate from HH after at least two weeks now. I guess either they don't care as they have enough clients already, or they stopped working due to the virus crisis.
wykdy
We have not received the estimate from HH after at least two weeks now. I guess either they don't care as they have enough clients already, or they stopped working due to the virus crisis.

Hi wykdy,

The time frame between initial deposit to estimate is usually 6 weeks. Just give them a buzz after a month and ask them to book in an appointment for you.
We had gone to three builders for estimate and all three had similar turnaround times.
wykdy

Do you mean your estimate or your tender?

Either way everything is going to be slower now with covid19.
msresearcher
wykdy

Do you mean your estimate or your tender?

Either way everything is going to be slower now with covid19.

My bad, I got it wrong. It was actually my tender that took six weeks and estimate was about 3 weeks.

It might be a good idea just to follow up with them.
HaminZa
jo-t
msresearcher
Hi all. Got my final plans back (not signed off yet - thats in one week they said). Just wondering if we need to get things like niche placement in shower right now, and laundry storage, shelves in WIR etc -those type of things. Or does that come later? What is crucial to get right in this stage?!

I def want to change windows, maybe change some doors to cavity sliding, but not sure if i need to get every little thing right? Advice pls

I keep getting told we will sort everything in plan presentation meeting. Im confused how they do plans for 2 months and then all my changes get made in one meeting? And some are cost dependant, like i want to change window types but my decision is contingent on costs.

Dont want to get his stage wrong, so grateful for your advice!

Hi msresearcher, our final plans are being sent through today : ) so, we are at exacly the same stage. Like you, i plan to change window size/placement depentant on cost.
Did they email you the Introductory Handbook? This had lots of good info.
At the plan acceptance meeting they strongly advise that you come prepare "with all necessary required amendments".
I'm planning on going over the plans and noting all changes i thinking of. Somethings, like changes to windows would need to be finalised prior to H&H completing paperwork for council as they might affect the Basix assessment etc
I have minimal knowledge of construction so, I figure raise everything you are thinking of changing at this Plan presentation meeting. They can let you know if they need the detailed info now or it can wait until plans are being signed off by council.
Changing doors to CSD will effect cost, so if you know you want this, add it now and they can be part of the Post Tender Variation on costs.
For things like laundry cabinetry, WIR shelving, if you change these from what's already in the plans it may effect costs but, we will review cabinetry in the Studio You appointment while the documents are being prepared/sign off at council so, you propably don't need to know exact layout until the Studio You appt.
Hope this helps and I'm also interesting to hear from others further along in the process if this is how it worked for them?
: )

Hi jo-t,

I am abit ahead as I received my plans last month actually, returned in a week but still waiting for the updated set which they acknowledged the changes. I think due to the current situation, this process will be further delayed. Fingers crossed we will receive response soon. As for the changes, my take on it, we requested everything already mentioned above (as per their sample guidelines and verbal advise) to change windows, location of downpipes etc as the next phase is to involve the consultants for DA (stormwater, structural, landscape, Basix etc). We also made sure to finalized all must-have internal changes eg doors types, niches sizes, joineries/ wir, acoustic walls, ac ducts location etc now (we made a running list post tender things we forgot to add/ change our mind during tender) so cost will be captured now. This will assist us to 'not go crazy' during internal selections with our provisional sums(I keep telling my husband but he doubt it
) and there are still chance to make some minor adjustments then. Finally and more importantly, I was able to made some technical comments, being in the industry, to be in line with tender items especially site cost cause I am aware this set will form the basis of CC drawings, better get it right now. My suggestion is to have everything in writing now with your queries before plan presentation (we didn't had one as my changes were straightforward) ,so they can coordinate internally 1st with their drafting/ costing/ construction team as required (I was made aware it happened with mine). p/s If you need some assistance on some specific technical queries on your plans, feel free to pm me, happy to help.

Oh right I didn’t think about wir and joinery at plan stage. I thought that would come later same way kitchen and laundry design does?! I asked about marking where on vj boarfs (cladding) internally and they said that comes later.

What do you mean door type - do you mean size?
[quote="SDS1":2rgw0xzx][quote="msresearcher":2rgw0xzx]Hi all. Got my final plans back (not signed off yet - thats in one week they said). Just wondering if we need to get things like niche placement in shower right now, and laundry storage, shelves in WIR etc -those type of things. Or does that come later? What is crucial to get right in this stage?![/quote:2rgw0xzx]

Based on our experience this set of plans is to get the council approvals right. So focus on structural design, (floor plans should be down pat no more changes to external walls once council has plans) insulation i.e. items that impact basix, plumbing lines as it impacts hydraulics, etc.

To give you an example of how we went about: We changed type of Windows from awning to fixed-sliding, included window missed in WC, confirmed frosted glass on bathroom windows, confirmed size and type of windows relative to aspect e.g. highlight windows on southern elevation, dropped slab in ground floor bathroom to achieve flush finish after tiling, confirmed size and location of fridge cavity, confirmed location of Hot water system, water meter, air conditioning unit, confirmed we had services to alfresco, confirmed outdoor tap locations, extended alfresco area, extended living room wall to square with alfresco, included insulation to garage ceiling and walls, etc.

Additionally you need to get external colours and bricks, weatherboard and roof materials signed off before council plans. It helps to get an austral appointment unless of course you're not having face brick and opt for fully rendered exterior where I think you do consultation with HHH.

Internal selection of colours, WIR, fixout of kitchen incl benchtop, glazing on doors, electrical plans, carpet/tiles/laminate, staircase finishes all happen between council submission and council approval (if you're full DA that is a significant amount of time). So leave that aspect to later as too many decisions do tend to get overwhelming. We added extra niches at this stage at a small cost. I believe their atandard plans have niches in the bath area.

During our plan presentation I remember they had a sort of checklist to make sure we understood and signed off mandatory items that impact council plans. So if you forget something it may help to go through the checklist.
Hope this helps.[/quote:2rgw0xzx]

Thank you very helpful. And yes good to make some decisions later. Is Spent all weekend researching window options, sizes, Glass and the building code!

I assumed I could check fridge size in kitchen design?
Hi zen

thanks for all your tips. Smart controller sounds amazing. Would the impact my floor plans? I have already told them I want a zone per room
Or at least more than 2 zones. They told me that comes later and doesn’t impact plans now. I can’t actually see where the ducts are on my plans.
wykdy

Hi wykdy, our pm emailed us last week for further delays as there were also affected by the pandemic eg working from home and thank us for our patience. It's unprecedented times.
Oh right I didn’t think about wir and joinery at plan stage. I thought that would come later same way kitchen and laundry design does?! I asked about marking where on vj boarfs (cladding) internally and they said that comes later.

What do you mean door type - do you mean size?[/quote]

I wanted too change/ add some internal doors to glass doors and feature barn door which needs some additional lintel support, Sliding door change to stacker door for more flexibility. The sizes are also checked just in case they need to move walls to fit the architraves either side if made bigger.

I had some missing shelving/ joineries as mine is custom plan, so at least its captured now what's included so I know what I need to upgrade later. i also made the island wider from 1200 to 1400mm. Yes you could do it later. Since I pretty much locked in my kichen design, I wanted to sign off layout variations as much as possible now so minimal decision making during internal selections focussing on handles, colours, pot drawers, bin etc for timing/ budgeting purposes. I did include a 600 wall oven tower already in tender ( $1120, keen baker) for easy access, the 900 oven is for everyday use. As Zen advised, they missed opportunities for kitchen design and shelving upgrade as they were not given a drawing. Mine had 2 shelves in lieu of 4 😅 which I queried. Anyway planning to upgrade it to glass doors with adjustable shelves later.

Just see how you go with time, focus externally 1st ( the ones can't be change post DA) and some big ticket items internally.
msresearcher
Hi zen

thanks for all your tips. Smart controller sounds amazing. Would the impact my floor plans? I have already told them I want a zone per room
Or at least more than 2 zones. They told me that comes later and doesn’t impact plans now. I can’t actually see where the ducts are on my plans.

You can decide on the zones during your Electricals appointment. If you add zones as provisions during the tender stage, you can change/remove it during your electricals appointment. We provisioned $5K during tender for electricals and then we went into detailed breakdown on lights/powerpoints/ceiling noggins, etc during our Electricals appointment with H&H.
We have received our plans and just trying to find time to go over them in detail and not miss anything while starting to home-school our 4 kids
given the changes annouced this week.

We have some changes we want to make to the bathroom layouts to future proof the house with a growing family, changes to doors and windows.

Hamin Za, thank you for your help and suggestions.

Msresearcher, i'm a little concerned about the current climate and the affect this will have on where we are at in the planning stage. It is uncharted ground for all involved in the process. Hopefully, timing works out ok as we are in the planning stage heading into DA approval so, I imagine most of this can continue as people work remotely? The only thing I'm concerned about at this stage in how we do the internal selections virtually and be confident in our choices, not physically seeing things like carpet, tiles, paint colours etc???

Zen, your house is looking great. I will definately look at the Smart A/C etc
jo-t
We have received our plans and just trying to find time to go over them in detail and not miss anything while starting to home-school our 4 kids
given the changes annouced this week.

We have some changes we want to make to the bathroom layouts to future proof the house with a growing family, changes to doors and windows.

Hamin Za, thank you for your help and suggestions.

Msresearcher, i'm a little concerned about the current climate and the affect this will have on where we are at in the planning stage. It is uncharted ground for all involved in the process. Hopefully, timing works out ok as we are in the planning stage heading into DA approval so, I imagine most of this can continue as people work remotely? The only thing I'm concerned about at this stage in how we do the internal selections virtually and be confident in our choices, not physically seeing things like carpet, tiles, paint colours etc???

Zen, your house is looking great. I will definately look at the Smart A/C etc

Hi jo-t,

We had our cut out today, the SS said we'll definitely be affected as he cannot book trades at the same time.
Hi All,

I am starting construction on a modified Elyse 38 in the Hills, let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and help as best I can
Amanda_Ly
Hi All,

I am starting construction on a modified Elyse 38 in the Hills, let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and help as best I can

Hi Amanda,
Any chance you have an electrical price list you can share or send me? I am asking for a quote from HHH and trying to make sure everything fits in the budget.
Related
15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum